Battery Maintenance- '03 Silverado

520 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agenjake
agenjake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got an '03 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0. I've had it for 7 or 8 years and have always had issues with the battery going dead if it sat for a few days. I went through the circuits and couldn't find anything that looked like it was the culprit for draining the battery. I went to our mechanic and he said that basically all the circuits pulled a little extra and collectively they were draining the battery. His workaround was to quit buying crappy batteries and they would hold the voltage I needed for longer. So, I bought an Optima yellow battery 2-3 years ago and I have been pleased.

But, now I've got a car for commuting and I will only drive the truck a couple times a week, and could see relatively frequent times where I don't drive it for a week at a time. Is there a good and safe battery maintainer that I could use and just leave it plugged onto the battery during the week? I don't have a closed garage but have a covered carport area to park. I'm in South Texas and don't want to melt a battery or worse catch my truck and shop on fire.

Any help is appreciated.
aggiedata
AG
I hooked one up a couple of years ago to a car's battery kept in a vacation home garage. Works like a champ so far.

It turns itself off when battery is charged. Kicks on when needed.
agenjake
What brand?
Rexter
Battery Minder has worked well for me. My '03 Silverado did the same as yours. I solved the issue with a harbor freight solar charger that was $15.
aggiedata
AG
I got this one.

Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer: 1.25 AMP Powersport Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs - Smart 12 Volt Automatic Float Charger - 021-0128 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DWTNBK67ME96H5ZVPR8G
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Yup. Battery tender JR is the way to go.
agenjake
Thanks guys
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.