Ford V6 eco boost versus Ford V8 flex

2,043 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Canyon99
AgDad121619
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My current truck has the eco boost and I love it. We found a new truck at a local dealership that has everything we want but it is V8. Main difference is going to be 2-3 mpg and we drive a lot. This truck has 4x4 which will get occasional use - so also interested if v8 is better for that aspect

Any other reasons to wait for an eco boost with current shortage of available vehicles?
EMY92
AG
The boost will be better in 4WD if you need the torque.
tamuags08
AG
Incredibly stupid question incoming but
Would Ford ever put the turbos on their coyote v8 as a factory option? Just drop eco from the name and it's just BOOST. I imagine the power would be impressive
Dill-Ag13
AG
The Shelby gets the supercharged 5.2, I thought that Ford may have been developing a Raptor with the same/similar engine.
JSKolache
AG
There have been at least 37 threads on this topic. It all boils down to ... doesn't really matter & get what you prefer.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Are you really shopping for a truck right now?
Mr. Dubi
Real world would be no difference in fuel mileage. The MPG gains are in a lab, on a dyno, driving a predetermined route and load that the manufacturers can program the ECU for.
reproag
AG
AgDad121619 said:

My current truck has the eco boost and I love it. We found a new truck at a local dealership that has everything we want but it is V8. Main difference is going to be 2-3 mpg and we drive a lot. This truck has 4x4 which will get occasional use - so also interested if v8 is better for that aspect

Any other reasons to wait for an eco boost with current shortage of available vehicles?
Averaging 19.8 in my 21 boost according to onboard computer and probably 80% HWY driving.
Ag for Life
AG
reproag said:

AgDad121619 said:

Averaging 19.8 in my 21 boost according to onboard computer and probably 80% HWY driving.
Have you hand calculated it? My 2015 F150 5.0 is consistently 1.1 MPG higher on the dash readout computer versus the actual
webgem08
AG
Had a F150 with the Coyote. Now drive an Expedition with the Boost.

Overall, I miss the V8. I miss the feel/sound of the V8 (superficial, I know) and kinda have a looming feeling about future durability ahead of me with the Boost. I can't tell much difference in performance between the two.

I look forward to getting back into a V8 once the market cools down.
Yesterday
AG
webgem08 said:

Had a F150 with the Coyote. Now drive an Expedition with the Boost.

Overall, I miss the V8. I miss the feel/sound of the V8 (superficial, I know) and kinda have a looming feeling about future durability ahead of me with the Boost. I can't tell much difference in performance between the two.

I look forward to getting back into a V8 once the market cools down.

Same feeling. I had the ecoboost and the Coyote. The boost was faster after you got past the turbo lag but nothing sounds better than a Ford 5.0.
lotsofhp
AG
I too love the sound of a V8, but I every time I get down on my ecoboost I always think it has a nice throaty sound too
Buck Turgidson
I've had all kinds of vehicles, including three with big V-8 engines. I can say that I've never paid any attention to the sound of my freaking engine in 40+ years of driving. I always have the radio on, am talking to somebody in my car, or have my mind on work. Engine sound is a frivolous reason to pick a less efficient, less capable engine. I am on my second vehicle with an ecoboost and its the best engine I have had to date. It makes a big Navigator drive like a sedan.
lotsofhp
AG
Yeah, I know I just made the argument about the V6 sounding pretty good but honestly the engine sound is dead last on the list of things I care about in a vehicle every since I graduated high school
Yesterday
AG
Exhaust sound just doesn't do it for some guys. I get it. Some guys like ketchup on their hotdogs too. Just the way it is.
AgDad121619
AG
reproag said:

AgDad121619 said:

I consistently get 22+ mpg with my eco boost so I know it is real. I'm also 80-90% highway. - 260k miles and still going strong. However this is my wife's truck and the mileage is high enough that I don't want to worry about breakdown while she is out driving

I wasn't quick enough on the trigger on the truck I was considering so I am going to hold out for v6 - a little under the gun because we want the new truck before a July vacation pulling the boat to Florida
reproag
AG
AgDad121619 said:

reproag said:

AgDad121619 said:

I consistently get 22+ mpg with my eco boost so I know it is real. I'm also 80-90% highway. - 260k miles and still going strong. However this is my wife's truck and the mileage is high enough that I don't want to worry about breakdown while she is out driving

I wasn't quick enough on the trigger on the truck I was considering so I am going to hold out for v6 - a little under the gun because we want the new truck before a July vacation pulling the boat to Florida
PM sent
btalking
AG
19.8 on the digital readout for me in my 2021, 4x4 with 3.5L, ~85% hwy
Canyon99
My wife drives a 3.5 boost Expy which means I drive it once a week on Sundays to church. Glad its not my daily as I'd prefer a 5.0.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.