Mechanic

1,255 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
BigAg_12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife's 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (130K miles) has had her check engine light (cylinder misfire codes) for a little longer than I care to admit despite multiple attempts to correct. About a year ago I had to replace the catalytic converters because the codes then were bad O2 sensors. I paid a shop to replace the spark plugs but the check engine light remains. The same shop diagnosed it when I brought it back pissed off and said they thought the fuel injectors were dirty and needed replacing. $1200+ dollars they wanted. I've tried the "mechanic in a bottle" Techron multiple times with no luck. It used to rough idle but isn't so bad anymore, so it helped there.

Does anyone have a good mechanic / shop they can recommend? Should I bite the bullet and take it to a Jeep dealership? I live in West Houston near the energy corridor / I10 and the beltway. Suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Dill-Ag13
AG
$5 says it's a coil pack. You don't need to go to the dealer, you need a better mechanic.

$1,200 for injectors.. lmao
cavscout96
AG
Yes. Coil pack(s).

Misfire / rough idle /stumble

My wife's 99 Acura dropped a coil pack and we got misfire codes.

Bought one pack and swung it through the cylinders until I found the offender.

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
http://smithautokaty.com/

Had good experience here
UmustBKidding
My daughter has same vehicle. Bought used with like 70k. Took in to get all the recalls done and they poked in the vin and it popped up the info of the previous owner. Asked if it was her said no and that they would update all the info in the system. Few weeks later check engine light came on i pulled codes and did some research. There was a tsb about left bank cylinder head leaks causing misfires. Ah f, changed plugs and coil packs no help. To back to dealer that did recalls, clt showed head and gasket required. Quote like $1900. Asked did this have engine and drivetrain warranty. Yes it did. They did work. Went to pick up, $1900 bill. Asked about the warranty, poked computer poof, owe nothing.
Dogged that bullet.
Hope you have the luck she had but bet its the same thing. Secret was getting the warranty transfer done in advance, some dealers charge but one in navasota did not.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Email at username at gmail
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.