Can't get key out of car and out of accessory position

591 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FDXAg
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2013 Hyundai sonata. Daughter drove it to her nail appointment this morning and when she went to get out she couldn't get the key to turn all the way to the off position and release. The car engine would turn off but the key stays in the accessory mode. She ended up canceling the appointment and driving back home. My wife says she has tried to put the car in neutral and then slam it back in park and see if that releases the key, but nothing happens. She does say that when she attempts to put the gear shifter back in park it doesn't make the "clicking feel" that typically indicates it's actually in park. However, when she puts the shifter in park the doors unlock automatically like they normally do and the electronic indicator on the dash says it's in park. She said she is reading online that it could have to do with a low or bad battery?

Only problem with the battery theory is that the car starts up fine with no issues. It's not even a hard start. But they haven't been able to do anything to get the key out. At this point it's just sitting in our garage with the key in accessory mode.

Any ideas?
USAFAg
AG
2013 Sonata Key Release Chip

Hyundai Forums

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
DeWrecking Crew
Will it come out when in Neutral?
FDXAg
AG
Ooohh thank you for links. I'll try that when i get home.

No, key doesn't come out when in neutral.
FDXAg
AG
That was the problem! Was able to shave off about a millimeter off the top of the inside rod of the shifter and that fixed the issue.

Thanks for the find!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.