Not enough chips for Auto on/off feature...

2,316 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by El Chupacabra
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd gladly donate the chip from my truck, for someone else to have this annoying feature.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/gm-trucks-losing-fuel-economy-feature-chip-shortage

Quote:

General Motors will begin building some full-size trucks without a key fuel-saving feature next week due to the ongoing semiconductor chip shortage affecting the industry.

The start/stop function shuts off the engine when the vehicle is not in motion and automatically restarts it when the driver takes their foot off of the Brake. It is common on many internal combustion engine-powered vehicles today.

A GM spokesman told The Detroit Free Press that the change would result in a 1 to 2 mpg drop in the combined fuel economy rating for the trucks and that the price would be reduced by $50.
I know it matters for GM, but I bet most truck owners would forgo the extra 1 mpg, to have that feature permanently turned off.
TexAg1987
Which chip do I need to remove to donate to the cause?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
This, I hate that damn thing
TexAg1987
After driving an old mustang for years that would sometimes die at stoplights, I have a bit of PTSD when my engine turns itself off.
AgGrad99
AG
TexAg1987 said:

After driving an old mustang for years that would sometimes die at stoplights, I have a bit of PTSD when my engine turns itself off.
It took me a year to get used to it, but it still bothers me. I dont understand why I dont have the option of turning it off permanently. I know there are aftermarket options, but I fear something going wrong, and being told it voided my warranty.

Does this feature really not cause unnecessary wear/tear on the vehicle? I feel like it has to be worse for my truck to start/stop so often, but maybe I'm wrong.
Ag for Life
AG
"price would be reduced by $50."

How generous of you GM!!!
WildcatAg
AG
The Ford Super Duties don't have this "feature" but there are thousands of them waiting on chips at the Kentucky Speedway so I wonder what the missing chips do in the Super Duties?

Make them ride terrible?
Clog up the emissions system?
Activate death wobble?
Make them sit 20-ft off the ground?
TexAg1987
Ag for Life said:

"price would be reduced by $50."

How generous of you GM!!!

They are missing an opportunity.
I'd pay for the delete.
Irish 2.0
I turn it off everytime I get in my truck. I've turned it into a habit now
jakester03
AG
Thatsashame.gif
YouBet
AG
Dumbest f'ing "innovation" in years so this regressive evolution is great news. I at least have the ability to switch mine off every time I get in car, but my wife's is automatic.
TexAg1987
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/little-known-trick-will-disable-your-engine-auto-stop-start-system/
mosdefn14
AG
Volkswagens, Nissans, and Toyotas let you turn it off - and it stays off until you turn it back on.

Not sure why the GMC/Chevys are only off until you turn the truck off. Seems like this way would have required 1 extra line of code.
bigtruckguy3500
AgGrad99 said:

Does this feature really not cause unnecessary wear/tear on the vehicle? I feel like it has to be worse for my truck to start/stop so often, but maybe I'm wrong.

It does, that's why all vehicles with this feature have upgraded starters - not sure how much cost is added. However, aside from the starter, I still wonder about wear and tear of other components, unburned gases that linger around more often (not good in direct fuel injection vehicles), periods of decreased oil pressure increase. Effects are likely minimal though, outside of the starter. But, I know most older cars often struggle to start up right away. I wonder what happens in 10 years when these vehicles have older plugs, and other worn components.

Definitely still annoying. Like I'm driving my mom's car with this feature and I pull into the driveway and it turns off. Then I put it in park and it starts back up. Or if I come to a stop sign and there are no other cars, I just have to come to a momentary stop, but it still turns off.

Another work around is to put your vehicle into manual mode and up shift to the highest gear. It'll autoshift as needed but won't shut off.
Jack Cheese
AG
My BIL has a BMW 5 series with this damn feature. The car rumbles to the point that the dash shakes when it restarts. It would drive me freaking nuts, especially if I paid what he did for that car.

The newest car in my fleet is 9 years old so I don't have to worry with it at this time.
AgGrad99
AG
It is annoying. Especially as the light turns green, just as my truck has shut down. I instinctively hit the gas, and feel like Im choking it every time
555-PINF
ESS was one of the main reasons I was okay with selling my Jeep after only a year. It was annoying as hell and you had to remember to turn it off every time you got in. There were aftermarket ways to kill it, but it's stupid to have to pay for another device to stop it. There were a lot of concerns on the JL board about the longevity of the separate ESS battery and cost to replace.

And whatever that was that said to expect a drop in MPG is dumb. As annoying as it was, I left it on for a while to see if it helped. I didn't see any noticeable difference in mileage due to ESS.
EMY92
AG
Mine only seems to turn off in the middle of summer when you want the AC on. In nice or cold weather, it never turns off. I don't remember the last time mine shut off when stopped. I've got a Ford truck and I do not disable it each time I get in.
bigtruckguy3500
Yeah, there have been times when I'm trying to turn onto a road, shoot a gap in traffic to get to the other side, and there's enough of a lag in it starting back up that I instinctively feel I can't make it and I put my foot back on the brake.
Sea Speed
AG
It stays off until you restart the car then you have to turn it off again in the VW
aggieforester05
AG
EMY92 said:

Mine only seems to turn off in the middle of summer when you want the AC on. In nice or cold weather, it never turns off. I don't remember the last time mine shut off when stopped. I've got a Ford truck and I do not disable it each time I get in.

Ford rarely shuts off, my Chevy does it constantly. Someone it's less than a second. Completely pointless and results in shocks to the drive train when you're trying to get moving quick.
YouBet
AG
aggieforester05 said:

EMY92 said:

Ford rarely shuts off, my Chevy does it constantly. Someone it's less than a second. Completely pointless and results in shocks to the drive train when you're trying to get moving quick.
GM has a boner for this feature. Our cars will constantly shut off and then for some reason come back on while at a standstill as well which defeats the purpose. And then shut off again.

It's maddening.
nortex97
AG
YouBet said:

Dumbest f'ing "innovation" in years so this regressive evolution is great news. I at least have the ability to switch mine off every time I get in car, but my wife's is automatic.
It is, since the cylinder bank deactivation crap. And powering cars with $10K batteries that are good for maybe 5 years.
YouBet
AG
Will be interesting to see how much additional value and demand for the trucks without start/stop get on the used market vs those with it. You know damn well this is temporary and they will go back to it at some point.

Hopefully this goes the way of 3D movies and they realize no one wants or likes this feature.
EMY92
AG
Of course they're going back to it. It ups the MPG slightly and every bit is needed to meet CAFE standards.
Keegan99
AG
EMY92 said:

Of course they're going back to it. It ups the MPG slightly and every bit is needed to meet CAFE standards.

Yup.

Some makes and models have third-party apps that can be used with Bluetooth OBD dongles to permanently disable this "feature" - and make other changes. This is what I was able to do with my vehicle.
El Chupacabra
Does turning off the start/stop feature deactivate the DFM as well?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.