New vehicle suggestions/impressions desired please....

2,084 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sea Speed
Caladan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello all,

We would like to purchase a vehicle that is quiet and very comfortable for long-distance drives, as in 8-10 hours a day. We currently have a truck that I fit in quite well, but it isn't comfortable for long drives. My wife drives a RAV4, which has been a truly excellent vehicle for around town, but it isn't all that comfortable for me on long drives.

Vehicle needs fit a tall driver (I'm 6'3"), fit three additional adults of average height reasonably comfortably, and have enough space to carry medium-sized bags for four as well. Either a sedan, mini-van, or medium-sized SUV is fine, I just don't want to duplicate the vehicles we already own. I would like to keep price under $50k if possible, but can go higher if I find something I really like. The Lexus ES350 might be a great choice, but I doubt I could get one for under $50k. I think a Honda Accord might work, and will test one in the next day or two. Will also check out the Toyota Highlander and maybe a Jeep GC. Don't need suggestions as much as actual impressions/reviews from owners of any vehicles that would fit our needs, but any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
C
AgCPA95
AG
Toyota Avalon? You can get a Limited trim loaded for around $43k

agnerd
AG
Test drove a new dodge truck that had air ride and noise canceling. I was blown away at how smooth and quiet it was. Gas mileage was terrible if you're going to be driving all day, and when it came time to buy, I couldn't find one I wanted with it, but I hope my next vehicle does have it. You can theoretically get one with air ride and noise canceling at your price point, but I'm betting it will be hard to find.

Genesis G80 would be my recommendation for an all-day cruiser for 4 adults. Honda accord for half the price,

edit: grand cherokee trailhawk has air suspension under your max budget, but ride without it is not smooth at all. Not sure how much air suspension can help.
agdad01
Look at Hyundai Palisade or Kia Telluride. Have the Palisade and very comfortable, good mileage and around the 50K
Strongwind86
AG
We picked up a 2019 Lincoln Nautilus Reserve 2 years ago. It's my wife's primary ride.
Lincoln has changed the vehicle from the Ford Edge - it's more than just adding chrome to the previous Ford version (we had an Edge previously)

I've been really impressed with the Nautilus. I'm 6'-1" and have more than enough room. Plenty of room for 4 adults and luggage. There is quite a bit of space in it - bigger than it looks.

Ours has the 2.0L boost with 8 speed transmission. My first boost drivetrain and I'm really impressed with how well it runs the Nautilus. Believe the 8 speed helps keep the boost where it needs to be.

Make alot of trips between Houston and New Braunfels/Rockport/Corpus. The car is great to drive. Smooth. Quiet. I've had several trips from Rockport with two of us from the weekend - driving 75 to 80 and getting 28 to 30 MPG (calculated - not trip computer).

If I recall we were around $45K out the door.
USAFAg
AG
Best Sedans for 2021 - Compact

Best Luxury Sedans for 2021 - Mid-size

Best Crossovers and SUVs 2021

Full disclosure: I'm only 5'7" so have never been concerned about height/legroom in a vehicle, but there are some very good choices in these reviews in your price range. I regularly (and like) drive 4-10 hour road trips. In fact, if I can drive to a location w/o using an inordinate amount of my time, I will drive v. fly. I hate flying commercial.

I love Audis and haven't owned a bad one. Everyone of them was a very comfortable long-range driver. My current one is a 2016 TTS. Too small for your needs, but even as a sport oriented car, it is an excellent and comfortable long-ranger.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
Buck Turgidson
Can you get a Lexus ES under $50k still?
Irish 2.0
Girlfriend has a fully loaded Telluride and I like it for when we do longer trips. Very comfortable and a nice ride
aggiedata
AG
Most truck and SUV drivers don't like switching to cars. You may not like riding that low when the road is full of trucks and SUVs.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm 6'3" and I recommend a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V8
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Whatever you buy, wait 6-9 mos.

Keep what you have for now if you can.
reproag
AG
agdad01 said:

Look at Hyundai Palisade or Kia Telluride. Have the Palisade and very comfortable, good mileage and around the 50K
This!!! but they will be hard to find. Every Palisade we have coming in is already sold. Probably going to have to order one if you choose either of these SUVs
BigTex83
AG
You mentioned an Accord. I'm a truck guy, but just got the wife a 2021 Honda Accord Sport. She loves it. I have to admit a nice ride and lots of room. Just too low for me being a truck guy. Rides great and plenty of power and well under the price range you mentioned. Lots of features.
jja79
AG
I tried for 4 months to buy a Telluride but it was hard to get there before they were sold. Ender up ordering one which I got a month ago. Very satisfied with it.
cadetjay02
AG
I have a 2017 Accord and like it a lot. My wife has a 2021 Pilot and I've driven it to Colorado twice and it does great on the road.
YouBet
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Toyota Avalon? You can get a Limited trim loaded for around $43k

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Same car as the Lexus but cheaper and actually looks better.
JSKolache
AG
Full size suv, any usa or japusa. They are all now independent rear suspension and ride smoother than their truck counterparts. The big nissans get good reviews on seating comfort, which i didnt even know was a thing...
nortex97
AG
Land Cruiser or something with an LS. You're welcome.
Hwy30East
I would definitely recommend looking at the Toyota Highlander. We went from an Expedition to the Highlander. It has been great, and very comfortable. In cars, I would also recommend the Camry or Avalon as was mentioned. We have a Camry that my kid is driving now. Comfortable and I love the gas mileage it gets.

I personally drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, that I love. If it comes down to your wife choosing, then she'll like the Highlander over the Jeep, like my wife does.
zooguy96
We just got my wife a Highlander, and it has tons of room for taller people in the 2nd row, plus a ton of cargo space in the back. I'm 5'11", and I've got lots of extra foot and head room. Got a used 2019 with low miles for under $30k. Plus, it gets great gas mileage, and has a lot of power (for us) to get around town.
Sea Speed
AG
Inwas blownnaway by the headroom in the atlas. I'm about your size. I feel like it is extremely comfortable. Gas mileage is doo doo though.
agdaddy04
AG
Not the best mileage and super small tank as well. I think it barely gets 350 miles per tank on a long trip
Sea Speed
AG
Yea meant to mention the small tank. Maybe not best for road trips outside of the being comfortable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.