Jeep TJ Springs/Spacers

797 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Towns03
bb2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ive got an old TJ that we normally just use to run around town when weather is nice. Took it to Big Bend a couple of weeks ago and realized the shocks are shot as washboard roads just about rattled it to pieces. I ordered some new shocks, Rancho 5000x for 0-2" lift, and am getting ready to install them. Once I crawled under it, I noticed two things.

1. The bump stops are completely gone
2. The front springs are about an inch shorter than what I'm reading stock springs should measure

Prior to the washboard roads the ride hasn't ever bothered me and I've never really seen a need to lift it. If it wasn't for the washboards I wouldn't even know I had a problem.

My dilemma now is do I need to change the springs to keep from ruining the new shocks. If I need to replace the bump stops, I've got to pull the springs off anyways to do so. I could just do that, or add spacers to get springs back to stock height, or could replace the springs. Not trying to break the bank here but thinking it might make sense to go ahead and replace springs while I'm messing with it. But since the ride doesn't bother me, thinking I might be able to get by with bump stops and spacers

Anybody have any suggestions or input regarding springs or spacers?
Nealthedestroyer
AG
I'd avoid spacers and just get a decent spring and shock set. I've been out of the game for a while but Old Man Emu was pretty good value back in the day.
Vae Victis
Street Fighter
Street Fighter
Street Fighter
AG
Put on a 2" Old Man Emu lift and never worry about it again.
bb2003
AG
I've already got the new shocks that are for 0-2", rear springs seem ok. Not wanting to do more than I have to. Does OME or any other brand have a good stock height aftermarket spring? I saw something about grand Cherokee springs being interchangeable and possibly just slightly taller than stock. Thinking I just need two front springs and bump stops to keep from bottoming out the new shocks. Trying to button it up on the cheap...
Towns03
AG
My brother ended up with a TJ I bought in college. He installed a small lift that gave the jeep a TERRIBLE ride. When he gave me the car back I was in your boat - looking for stock springs. I ended up finding some on craigslist that the kid was just giving away. The ride is so much softer now.

about the stoppers, mine are gone too. I hope someone will tell us they're the wisdom teeth of wranglers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.