Best way to track down previous owner?

3,853 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agdaddy04
D&C 2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a used F350 a little over a month ago and have some questions I think the previous owner would be able to answer. I don't think Carfax or a title search would give me previous owner info. Is there a good way to do this? Figure out the original dealership and see if they have a record they would share?

Also, never ever ever do do business with Shottenkirk Toyota. Worst buying experience I have ever had.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
There's probably a reason they traded it in
D&C 2002
AG
LOL. Shottenkirk bought it at an auction to sell on their used lot, which is essentially the entire dealership now since they aren't getting many new Toyotas in from the factory. Its in excellent shape - 2 years old and 20K miles. Really liking the truck so far.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Navigation --> Home
D&C 2002
AG
I actually thought about that but had to do a full reset in order to get it to connect to my app. All previous digital tracks were blown away.
Mookie
AG
The dealer won't (or shouldn't) give it to you.

If I traded in a car and the new owner called me I would tell him to lose my number.

What kinds of questions do you have?
agdoc2001
AG
Have a dentist analyze the bite marks on the pencil they left in the glovebox.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
D&C 2002
AG
They didn't leave behind the card that has the master pin code for the door and the ford dealership wants around $100 to go in and retrieve it. They actually suggested I try to find the original dealership and see if they had that code on file and/or could maybe put me in touch with the previous owner. Also, it came with airbags on the back but they don't seem to be working. Would like to know if there was a problem when they traded it in or if it's something else.

I actually had the new owner of a travel trailer we traded in call me and ask some questions. I assume he got my number from the dealership. I was totally happy to talk with him and give him the run down on maintenance, history, etc. I don't think I would mind if the new owner of the truck I traded in called me for that kind of info. Seems pretty harmless and actually somewhat kind to share that info.
aggiedata
AG
Isn't the original salesman's card usually placed in the owners manual book? Also the CarFax should tell you the original dealers name.

powerbelly
AG
Mookie said:

The dealer won't (or shouldn't) give it to you.

If I traded in a car and the new owner called me I would tell him to lose my number.
This.
D&C 2002
AG
Nothing in my manual pack with the original dealer's name on it. I debated spending the $40 to get a car fax report. Wasn't sure if the original dealership name would be on that or not. They did a report at the dealership when I bought the truck but I didn't keep it (dumb). Might could get them to run it again for me.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Should have asked selling dealer to retrieve it for you.
D&C 2002
AG
Of course, there's lots of things I "should have" done but that's not really helpful now. Also, I doubt a Toyota dealership would have the equipment or know how to go into a F350 and retrieve this code. Ford dealership I took it to made it sound like it's a pretty intensive process that takes about 30 minutes.
RushHour
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
D&C 2002 said:

Of course, there's lots of things I "should have" done but that's not really helpful now. Also, I doubt a Toyota dealership would have the equipment or know how to go into a F350 and retrieve this code. Ford dealership I took it to made it sound like it's a pretty intensive process that takes about 30 minutes.

It takes 5 minutes
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
RushHour said:

Yeh That's illegal on the selling dealers part. They absolutely can't share another customers info with a customer without explicit permission

The buyer can easily ask the selling dealer to have the truck taken to a ford dealer and ask them to retrieve the door code from IDS.

I even have the software to retrieve it.
SA Ag 91
AG
Maybe contact a larger locksmith in your city and see if they can help you?
Mookie
AG
My Ford code was on the underside of my steering column. Can retrieve it with a mirror.

I have also seen them on the smart junction box behind the glove box. Drop the glove box down like your changing the cabin air filter and it's a 5 digit printed code.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Was this a silver Lariat Crew Cab Dually?
HollywoodBQ
AG
D&C 2002 said:

I actually thought about that but had to do a full reset in order to get it to connect to my app. All previous digital tracks were blown away.
My mom is the worst about leaving the cookie crumbs feature engaged on her Ford Edge.

When I bought my BMW M3, the original owners address was in the Navigation system.

When I bought my BMW X5, the original owners address, phone number, etc. was in the owner's manual. The Iranians I bought it from also left some receipts folded up in the owners manual.
txyaloo
AG
D&C 2002 said:

Nothing in my manual pack with the original dealer's name on it. I debated spending the $40 to get a car fax report. Wasn't sure if the original dealership name would be on that or not. They did a report at the dealership when I bought the truck but I didn't keep it (dumb). Might could get them to run it again for me.
Spend the $20 for a Forscan adapter and pull the RKE code that way. It'll pay off in other ways when the truck breaks in the future.
D&C 2002
AG
maybe. With some pretty nice fuel wheels
TexAg1987
D&C 2002 said:

They didn't leave behind the card that has the master pin code for the door and the ford dealership wants around $100 to go in and retrieve it. They actually suggested I try to find the original dealership and see if they had that code on file and/or could maybe put me in touch with the previous owner. Also, it came with airbags on the back but they don't seem to be working. Would like to know if there was a problem when they traded it in or if it's something else.

I actually had the new owner of a travel trailer we traded in call me and ask some questions. I assume he got my number from the dealership. I was totally happy to talk with him and give him the run down on maintenance, history, etc. I don't think I would mind if the new owner of the truck I traded in called me for that kind of info. Seems pretty harmless and actually somewhat kind to share that info.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
D&C 2002 said:

maybe. With some pretty nice fuel wheels

It was owned by the local RV/Powersports dealer in your area as a delivery truck.
dubi
AG
Quote:

It was owned by the local RV/Powersports dealer in your area as a delivery truck.
You can run but you can't hide from the power of Texags!
mosdefn14
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

You can run but you can't hide from the power of Texags!
Pretty cool to track down and all, but all this to avoid spending $100 on a $50k+ truck?
reproag
AG
D&C 2002 said:

send me the vin and I can tell you the dealership it originally can from. If it was a dealer trade then you may be SOL. Also ask the service department if they pulled the door code during their service check.
TexAg1987
Quote:

Also, it came with airbags on the back but they don't seem to be working.
Curious on how you came to this conclusion.
D&C 2002
AG
1ags - that is absolutely incredible! I have no idea how you figured that out with such limited info. I bought the truck in Granbury but live in Austin. Not familiar with the RV/Power sports dealers up there but I know there are several.
D&C 2002
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Quote:

Because they don't work...

I can't get them to operate with the remote and they won't hold pressure when I air them up manually. Seems like the pump may be toast but who knows. Looks like a very professional install so would be nice if I could find who did that installation and get them to check it out. Or, maybe the previous owner could tell me what happened so I would know where to start on the repair/replacement. I installed the airbag system in my previous truck and it's not a small job. Don't want to replace the entire system if it just needs a new pump or something.
D&C 2002
AG
Reproag - PM sent. Thank you!
TexAg1987
D&C 2002 said:

TexAg1987 said:

Quote:

Because they don't work...

I can't get them to operate with the remote and they won't hold pressure when I air them up manually. Seems like the pump may be toast but who knows. Looks like a very professional install so would be nice if I could find who did that installation and get them to check it out. Or, maybe the previous owner could tell me what happened so I would know where to start on the repair/replacement. I installed the airbag system in my previous truck and it's not a small job. Don't want to replace the entire system if it just needs a new pump or something.
Oh. I read it as Safety Airbags.

Was wondering if you were in an accident and they didn't deploy.

Carry on.
D&C 2002
AG
I'm going to try to pull those panels off later and see if that code is printed on a tag like this video suggests. Mine is a 2019 so hopefully...
TexAg1987
D&C 2002 said:

I'm going to try to pull those panels off later and see if that code is printed on a tag like this video suggests. Mine is a 2019 so hopefully...
I did essentially the same thing on my son's Explorer and his Aviator before that, so I know that it is a thing. Not always easy to get to. Sometimes need a mirror.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
reproag said:

D&C 2002 said:

send me the vin and I can tell you the dealership it originally can from. If it was a dealer trade then you may be SOL. Also ask the service department if they pulled the door code during their service check.

Was sold from Smith South Plains ford. Traded in at Roleys Chevrolet in littlefield in April, and ran through Auction on May 3rd.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.