What kind of car is this in this stupid commercial?

15,158 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aston 91
Aston 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my wife (no rule 1) casually asks me last night what kind of car is in this commercial. Her innocent question has led me down a trail of a million dead end image searches for small classic convertibles. I'm pretty sure it's European, but haven't found a match in searches for Alfas, Peugots, Renaults, Skodas, etc. So what the hell is this thing? A generic CGI mashup of a bunch of different cars?

555-PINF
Playboy, I think. Late 40's model. Grill is a tad different, but the rest is close.
tk for tu juan
Can't see the image, what commercial is it?
Aston 91
AG
The image is showing up for me. The commercial is for some drug (Entresto I think).
Aston 91
AG
The Ghost of DUCK01 said:

Playboy, I think. Late 40's model. Grill is a tad different, but the rest is close.
Had never heard of that one (at least in the automotive context). I took a look at them, but I don't think that's it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Buck Compton
AG
Still can't see a photo but would be willing to help...
CanyonAg77
AG
Reminds me of a Nash Rambler, but I don't think is is one
Buck Compton
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Reminds me of a Nash Rambler, but I don't think is is one
How can you see a photo? Even when quoting and pulling the URL, it's not a valid link...

I love a good internet mystery and want to waste some time searching
CanyonAg77
AG
I don't see a photo, I just think I've seen the ad. An olderblack couple driVing an open road in a little red and white convertible. Little two seat car like a Nash

Yes, the OP totally screwed up the photo link Wrong linK, and he linked the page, not the photi
CanyonAg77
AG
Okay, he fixed the photo
Aston 91
AG
OK, not sure how I screwed it up originally but it should be fixed now?
CanyonAg77
AG
Playboy is correct

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-week-1947-49-playboy
Aston 91
AG
I don't think it's a Playboy. Look at the side of the body. Playboy is slab sided with the rear wheel covered. This has a lip at the bottom and an open rear wheel. The hood is different also.
CanyonAg77
AG
According to the linked article, Playboyso evolved from no 1 to no 49, so I think it could be
Aston 91
AG
I suppose anything is possible, but the more I look at them the more differences I see. Other than being small convertibles, there aren't that many similarities between the Playboy and the car in the commercial.

chuckd
AG
Looks like the car Doc used to explain his lightning plan.

BBRex
AG
I was thinking a Sunbeam Tiger, but maybe version before this? But there are a lot of cars around that time period that look similar.

Aston 91
AG
There are a lot of similar looking cars from that era, but none appear to be a match in my searching. I'm wondering if it wasn't some obscure fiberglass kit car. The thick header above the windshield and that flared rocker between the wheels could be used for rigidity in fiberglass? I may have to throw in the towel on this one, but I hate to give up on a car mystery.
Complete Idiot
Hillman Minx looks very close but I can't find one with the exact grill and hood emblem.
Buck Compton
AG
Grabbed a (crappy) photo of the rear of the car here. May help a bit. I also noticed that it does have a backseat, but is still a coupe.
Buck Compton
AG
And to piggyback, same entresto drug, what is thus car? Wasn't able to get it nailed down 100%.
Aston 91
AG
Thanks for grabbing the screenshot of the rear view. I'm beginning to think it's just a fake car, like the Geico gecko's TR3/MGA mashup. Not sure what the second car is either.
Aston 91
AG
Actually found this one pretty quickly. 1960 Buick LeSabre convertible.
USAFAg
AG
Aston 91 said:

So my wife (no rule 1) casually asks me last night what kind of car is in this commercial. Her innocent question has led me down a trail of a million dead end image searches for small classic convertibles. I'm pretty sure it's European, but haven't found a match in searches for Alfas, Peugots, Renaults, Skodas, etc. So what the hell is this thing? A generic CGI mashup of a bunch of different cars?

Probably a Borgward (Isabella Cabrolet?) of some type. Photoshopped any brand symbols out? Probably somewhat deformed hiding telltale charateristics?

1/43 Model with multiple views

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
Aston 91
AG
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. This is definitely the car in the commercial. Looks like they left off (or photoshopped out) the trim pieces/turn signals on the fenders and the emblems, but otherwise it's a dead ringer. Thank you for the answer, and from saving me from spending more time searching random car images.

USAFAg
AG
Aston 91 said:

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. This is definitely the car in the commercial. Looks like they left off (or photoshopped out) the trim pieces/turn signals on the fenders and the emblems, but otherwise it's a dead ringer. Thank you for answer, and from saving me from spending more time searching random car images.

Don't tell anyone that. They may expect more out of me....

Happy to help

tk for tu juan
Nice, I was trying to track it down by the hood ornament since the name and emblems were removed/edited out for the commercial. Couldn't find the ornament in any web search
USAFAg
AG
I used the search of either, 1950s or 1960s, small European cabriolets. Helped to partly eliminate convertible sports cars given we were looking for a 4-seater and not a roadster. The style and fit and finish suggested to me that it was European of that timeframe. Older, lower priced European cars were terrible about that.

Aston 91
AG
You truly are a scholar if you found this car through research. I assumed you'd come across one in your time in the USAF. I think the use of "cabriolet" was the key. I did a few searches using the term, but spent most of my time looking for "convertible", which seemingly yielded everything but the car I was looking for.
USAFAg
AG
Aston 91 said:

You truly are a scholar if you found this car through research. I assumed you'd come across one in your time in the USAF. I think the use of "cabriolet" was the key. I did a few searches using the term, but spent most of my time looking for "convertible", which seemingly yielded everything but the car I was looking for.
I'll admit to being a car guy. 50's and 60's classic "sport/muscle" types primarily, but classic cars in general. I used to own a 1966 Sunbeam Alpine and became interested in a Tiger until they became way more money than I want to spend, so I've done a lot of European car related searches and have learned some tricks to narrowing things down. At varying times: a 1965 Mustang GT fastback A-code, 1966 Mustang C-code, 1966 Mustang fastback C-code, 1969 Dodge Coronet "Super Bee" w/440 six-pack, 1972 El Camino SS w/402.

Aston 91
AG
I'm a car guy as well, which is why my wife asked me the question - but this was out of my wheelhouse. I did have a European convertible, but they made 100k+ of the MGA so not exactly hard to find info on them. I also still have my first car: a 1966 Nova, bought in 1985 from the original owner. Pics of both below.

USAFAg
AG

Both are SWEET rides! I've been out of the "hobby car" business for awhile now. Was just not really compatible with moving around and living on base with various restrictions. But I have since retired and am jonesing for another one...just can't decide what and I'm astonished at the prices for what is pretty much junk. But, I did build a shop just in case I find one I want...

Aston 91
AG
That is one hell of a shop. The TT looks good in there, but whatever you end up with will have a nice home. I agree on recent classic car prices. I scan the results page on Bring a Trailer and am amazed at what some people are willing to pay for really rough cars. I listed my MGA on BaT 2 years ago, and the high bid was only $13,700. It wasn't perfect but it was a solid driver. I was able to work out a deal with the high bidder to get it sold.
Dr. Nefario
USA*** said:

Both are SWEET rides! I've been out of the "hobby car" business for awhile now. Was just not really compatible with moving around and living on base with various restrictions. But I have since retired and am jonesing for another one...just can't decide what and I'm astonished at the prices for what is pretty much junk. But, I did build a shop just in case I find one I want...

Not sure if serious or a Barnes reference.

If serious, very nice.

If a Barnes reference, well played.
USAFAg
AG
Dr. Nefario said:

USA*** said:

Not sure if serious or a Barnes reference.

If serious, very nice.

If a Barnes reference, well played.

LOL...not Barnes. I'm a known entity. Just not on this board.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.