BMWs: Reliability

3,528 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aero95
Serotonin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How reliable are BMWs these days? Or does it depend on the engine?

We are thinking about a new X5 or X7 but worried about the long-term reliability. Any knowledge here would be appreciated.

Otherwise I look forward to funding future vacations for my mechanic.
Dill-Ag13
AG
The same as they've always been. The new 2.0 inline 4 common across a massive swathe of their vehicles stretches timing chains.

I'd only own one under warranty/CPO or as a second vehicle.
SteveA
AG
Do you like leases?
mosdefn14
AG
Lease a BMW, buy a Lexus.

There's a reason there are tons of 3 year old BMWs for sale at much greater values than 3 year old Lexus.
HollywoodBQ
AG
As long as you don't own one after the warranty has run out, you're set.

See previous comments regarding leases.
FTAco07
AG
I had a 650 with the N63 TT-V8 that was a notorious oil leaker. Dealership had to perform warranty work twice that probably would have cost me $5-6k total. After the CPO warranty was up I had a similar problem I took to an independent to fix before getting rid of it. That said, I had a friend with a 750 and the same engine that never had a problem.

I probably wouldn't own a V8 BMW out of warranty unless you're able to do repairs yourself, but the 4 and 6 cylinder models seem to be a bit less problematic (though certainly less fun).
Serotonin
AG
Haha not sure I'm ready for this world. Wife and I have owned two toyotas, one Honda, one Lexus in our marriage. Other than routine maintenance and replacing a bumper after a fender bender, the only time a vehicle was in the shop was when I had to get shocks replaced on 12 year old 4Runner.

Appreciate the advice.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I have a 3 series diesel. It's got 150k miles on it. Treated me good so far. My goal is to put 600k miles on it.

I originally was going to buy a VW diesel, but they had just gotten in trouble about lying on emissions. Couldn't buy one, an Audi diesel, or a Porsche diesel. Pretty much the only options were BMW and Chevy had a Cruze diesel option.
JamesPShelley
From the original owner bought my 86 325es in 94 with 218,000 on the clock. Today she sits at 290,000.

It's absent a host of nanny features... and I have found her to be very reliable.
aggiedata
AG
Google Euro Repair Auto Shops around you. There should be about 6 within a 25 mile radius. They are usually packed.
nortex97
AG
LOL. "Break My Wallet."

It can be an interesting project to own one of these out of warranty, I hear. Getting into the head of a German Automotive Engineer is a fun task, which I've tried to do once upon a time. They are fascinating minds, who make sure to require as many steps as possible in any analysis/repair/maintenance, often involving special tools that look like normal tools but are off in some small way that a normal tool would only cause havoc. Also make them expensive to purchase. Then make the parts insanely priced and step back and enjoy the schadenfreude (a term coined by a German Car Owner back in 1962).

If you like working on cars then you might find an owners forum online, find the common problems, and find the repair solutions. This applies for all brands/models. Ask yourself if you are willing to perform the incantations necessary to fix it when it breaks, and/or check what the repair costs are for things like timing change replacements, fuel pumps/injectors, and even something as simple as spark plugs.
aggiedata
AG
BMW and Mercedes SUVs are great for people in a position or mindset to only own in warranty. Depreciation is enormous after warranty and there is a reason.
1agswitchin4lanes
Buck Turgidson
Anecdotal story - My brother and his wife had BMWs (X3 and X5?) and were highly dissatisfied with them due to poor reliability. They replaced one with an Audi Q7 and the other was replaced by a midlife crisis Porsche.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Got my wife a 2019 X5 with the inline 6. Great car and have had no issues. She had a 335i before that that we traded in at 70k miles which also had no issues. In my opinion, yes they are more expensive to work on BUT if you do the regular preventative maintenance and just take care of the vehicle then they will last you a long time just like any other car.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I also used to drive a 1990 325i when I lived in Hawaii. It was a crappy beach car, and I bought it in 2010 with 100k miles on it. It leaked oil, and I swear I drove that thing with absolutely no oil for miles and miles. That thing was a tank.
Serotonin
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Anecdotal story - My brother and his wife had BMWs (X3 and X5?) and were highly dissatisfied with them due to poor reliability. They replaced one with an Audi Q7 and the other was replaced by a midlife crisis Porsche.
Yes, very similar situation to my dad -- old 5 series with constant issues replaced by Q7 which hasn't had many issues about 4 years in at this point.
TommyGun
AG
vmiaptetr said:

I also used to drive a 1990 325i when I lived in Hawaii. It was a crappy beach car, and I bought it in 2010 with 100k miles on it. It leaked oil, and I swear I drove that thing with absolutely no oil for miles and miles. That thing was a tank.

My wife drove a 2003 325i when we first started dating and that thing leaked oil like a sieve. However, other than that nuisance it ran great for 200k miles before we sold it. We replaced a water pump and it was needing a transmission replacement when we sold it. Pretty typical for a lot of cars with that mileage.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I've owned 2 M5s and a X5M and never had an issue with any of them. Great cars.
'03ag
TommyGun said:

vmiaptetr said:

My wife drove a 2003 325i when we first started dating and that thing leaked oil like a sieve....

FIDO*98*
AG
Serotonin said:

Haha not sure I'm ready for this world. Wife and I have owned two toyotas, one Honda, one Lexus in our marriage. Other than routine maintenance and replacing a bumper after a fender bender, the only time a vehicle was in the shop was when I had to get shocks replaced on 12 year old 4Runner.

Appreciate the advice.

Go compare current prices of 2011-2013 BMW X5s vs 4Runner Limited. That should tell you everything you need to know about BMW reliability
BigTex83
AG
Leased a 5 series and had it three years. No problems but it's the post - three year time frame I hear about. My only advice check the price on tires that come on your BMW. My tires cost $650/tire and didn't get more than 12,000 to 13,000 miles before replacing. I didn't drive that bad. Low profile, run flat and soft compound. Had others mention the Sam for the X series with same type tire. Just my experience
YouBet
AG
I can sell you a Cadillac SUV that had it's A/C crater right as we rolled 40k miles on it. I had to take it to Autonation because they are the only ones around who will touch it.

Major repair and Just activated extended warranty on it about 1,000 miles ago. Been in the shop since Saturday and still waiting on the adjuster to come out and approve it.

Told wife we are going back to Japanese when we are done with this one. I can be done with it right now for a nice discount if interested!
dlp3719
AG
Drove an 2007 335i modded to 475hp from 40k miles to 135k miles.

**** that shouldn't break, broke. A/C compressor, window motors, alternator, charge pipes, PVC valves, Fuel injectors (iteration 12 from the factory seemed to finally solve their problems).

It was expensive but totally worth it. So fun to drive and work on.

Have a 2015 M4 now from 18k to 42k. No problems yet.
f2foxes2001
AG
Stick to i6 motors. I have an owned a v8 and an i6. Actually, if you can find a pre 2006 I6 car, she'll do 400000 miles.
Troy91
AG
vmiaptetr said:

I have a 3 series diesel. It's got 150k miles on it. Treated me good so far. My goal is to put 600k miles on it.

I originally was going to buy a VW diesel, but they had just gotten in trouble about lying on emissions. Couldn't buy one, an Audi diesel, or a Porsche diesel. Pretty much the only options were BMW and Chevy had a Cruze diesel option.
Ditto. Own a 2014 3 series diesel. Over 123k miles and very few issues.
BlueSmoke
YouBet said:

I can sell you a Cadillac SUV that had it's A/C crater right as we rolled 40k miles on it. I had to take it to Autonation because they are the only ones around who will touch it.

Major repair and Just activated extended warranty on it about 1,000 miles ago. Been in the shop since Saturday and still waiting on the adjuster to come out and approve it.

Told wife we are going back to Japanese when we are done with this one. I can be done with it right now for a nice discount if interested!
Right. Had same but with a truck. My prior Ford FX4 started to decline rapidly so replaced with a big, gas guzzling Tundra that I'm hoping can be handed down to one of the kids.

Only thing I miss are those air-cooled seats....
Nobody cares. Work Harder
bmks270
AG
A $12 part on a ford is near $100 on a BMW.

Had lots of co-workers a few years ago who had BMWs and all complained about the maintenance and costs, also issues with water pump.

Sister in law bought a nice used one, got rid of it after only 6 months, constant expensive maintenance issues.

I haven't heard positive things from used BMWs owners. Never owned one myself and I don't ever plan to.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Quote:

I haven't heard positive things from used BMWs owners. Never owned one myself and I don't ever plan to.
Oh, don't get me wrong. There are positives.

M3 - numerous high speed runs on The 5 along Camp Pendleton.
M3 - Vegas and back on The 15
X5 - that 4.4L V8 will make some tracks on a Houston Freeway
X5 - ever driven through South Dakota?

Cop: I clocked you at 80 but, you were going A LOT faster than that when I first saw you.
Me: Yes, I was
YouBet
AG
Caddy SUV still not fixed and had to abandon plan to get it fixed right now. Autonation is now calling me daily wanting to just buy it from us. Tempted because I'll get money for it I have no business getting but the flip side is then trying to find a replacement vehicle.
Blackhorse83
AG
I've had a BMW in my garage for over 25 years. When people ask should they get one my response is always, "buy it for the right reason and you better be committed" They are not for the faint of heart. They are pricey to maintain and repair...but if you are passionate about the brand and the engineering then one is for you. My current E92 M3 with a naturally aspirated 4.0 liter V8 and 6spped manual is absolutely amazing.
Scouts Out
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I've had several M5s and a couple of 3 series. I made it almost 10 years on my last one before I thought the SMG was going to explode. Maintaining them is not cheap (tires / brakes), but if you stay on top of maintenance, it's not that bad.

I may get an M8 next.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
mosdefn14
AG
Username checks out
Aero95
AG
My hangar neighbor drives a gorgeous M8 Competition. It is a glossy non-metallic grey and amazing. It's worth more than my airplane (currently, anyway) and i cannot imagine daily driving something like that...

Meanwhile I'm still enjoying my 17 year old 330i, even after a day of wrenching and cussing today.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.