Just had my fourth kid, seeking advice for a truck.

4,706 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jimscott85
RikkiTikkaTagem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an F150 now with a console and have run out of seats. I drive 24k-30k miles a year, would like/prefer to keep a truck although would be open to an suv, and 4x4 is an absolute must because of my job. I am thinking about getting an F250 diesel with no console to seat my 6 person family because I don't care about how the interior amenities of my truck is and I usually like to drive my cars till the wheels fall off.

The problem is all 4 kids are under 8 and from what I understand, they cannot legally sit in the front until they're 13 years old.

And yes, I already have a urologist and my vasectomy lined up. I'll be doing that before buying my next car.
Buck Turgidson
4WD Expedition is your vehicle.
AggieDruggist89
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

And yes, I already have a urologist and my vasectomy lined up. I'll be doing that before buying my next car.

Sienna Minivan AWD
chimpanzee
P.H. Dexippus
AG
About to have 3 three and under, in same boat. Looking at a larger SUV for the wife while I keep my super crew for trips that don't involve the whole family.

ETA had my eye on Telluride until demand exploded (and supply imploded), may come back to that eventually anyway. Armada/Q, Expedition/Navigator, Highlander, used LC/LX also on the consideration list.
Serotonin
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

About to have 3 three and under, in same boat. Looking at a larger SUV for the wife while I keep my super crew for trips that don't involve the whole family.
Yeah, I was going to ask if he can keep his rig while getting the wife a big SUV for family hauling. That's what we do in my household.

In an emergency I could take everyone but otherwise we go places in her SUV.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Expedition over putting a 7 y/o in the front row of a truck. How often are you cramming everyone in your vehicle?
drumboy
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

ETA had my eye on Telluride until demand exploded (and supply imploded), may come back to that eventually anyway. Armada/QX, Expedition/Navigator, Highlander, used LC/LX also on the consideration list.
Q is the car line, QX is sedans.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I have a QX80 with the console in the 2nd row. I've owned Armada, Sequoia, Expedition, GLC300, F250, F150, and countless other cars/small suv (like CRV) in search of the perfect car for scenarios like this....(yes I have a problem... ). I will tell you I am SO in love with my QX80... when this one craps out I will get another I love it that much.
Serotonin
AG
If you do Highlander I'd get bench rather than bucket second row. It is a pain to get to third row and all three might want to sit together. And it makes it much easier to keep third row folded down and use for storage. With third row up storage is minimal.

Good luck on the LCs, might need to wait a few months for more supply.

I like the LX but what bothers me is that the newer models are blingy on the exterior combined with feeling like a wood paneled library on the interior. I like the interior but it feels very split personality to me, whereas the 4Runner, GX, and Land Cruiser all coordinate inside/out.
AgCPA95
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

4WD Expedition is your vehicle.
Expedition MAX to be specific
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Expedition over putting a 7 y/o in the front row of a truck. How often are you cramming everyone in your vehicle?

The answer is not very often. Can I legally put my 7 yo in the front since there's no air bag in front middle?

Loving the answers so far.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
True. And I omitted Sequoia.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
"Can I legally put my 7 yo in the front since there's no air bag in front middle?"

4 8 years: Children should be sitting in booster seats until the maximum height or weight limit is reached, as specified by the safety seat manufacturer. Your child can move to a booster seat by 4 years of age, or once they exceed 4 feet in height.
8 years old and above: Once weight and height requirements for booster seats have been passed, children can sit in the car seats designed for adults. Your child can stop using a booster seat between 8 to 12 years of age, once they exceed 4 feet 9 inches in height. In essence, booster seats should be used until your child can safely and securely wear an adult seat belt, with both the lap and shoulder belts in a comfortable position.
13 years old: Children may sit in the front seat with a seat belt if their height and weight have passed the booster seat limits.
drumboy
AG
AGGODDESS said:

I have a QX80 with the console in the 2nd row. I've owned Armada, Sequoia, Expedition, GLC300, F250, F150, and countless other cars/small suv (like CRV) in search of the perfect car for scenarios like this....(yes I have a problem... ). I will tell you I am SO in love with my QX80... when this one craps out I will get another I love it that much.
My wife has a 2013 QX56 so identical to the QX80 that came out a year or two later and my only complaint is that w/ the console in the middle it's hard for my oldest to get to the 3rd row. There are buttons up front that make the middle seats easily roll forward but the car seats strapped in them keep them locked down.

400HP V8, AWD, and cheaper than an LX but still get Japanese reliability....though I think Toyotas are better.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
SPF250
AG
When my third child came along, we bought a GMC van with captains chairs in the front and middle rows. It allowed us to walk to the back row, smack a miscreant, and return to the front seat without stopping. It served a purpose but was a brutal five years while we owned that POS.
SnowboardAg
AG
We rented a Sienna minivan for a 13 hr road trip.

I would be very tempted to own one if we had more than 2 kids. It's a phase in life and nothing beats the functionality (seriously). We own a Tahoe and I would choose a minivan over that for road trips.

JeepWaveEarl
AG
Sure. I was thinking the oldest could sit in 2nd row with younger in back row (parent buckles, pops seat back up and 8 year old sits there.

For kids in boosters (only) buy some mifold to use for the 6+ kids... frees up room.

Also, you know the console can be removed if needed, right?
EMY92
AG
With vehicle prices today, how do you feel about adoption?
HalifaxAg
AG
save the money and get a used passenger van, you're going to need the cash for daycare payments soon.
aggieforester05
AG
Quigley

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
EMY92 said:

With vehicle prices today, how do you feel about adoption?

I had multiple jokes pop into my head and they would all get me canceled or divorced and I'm too poor for either of those things to happen to me
TSW2012
AG
I have a front bench in my truck it's not comfortable but fine for infrequent use. Especially with current truck prices im not sure the diesel is worth it. The 6.2 or 7.3 gas will be much cheaper to maintain and operate. Unless your towing 50+% of the time know that you are buying a modern diesel because it's fast and powerful. They are not the same as the diesels of old that ran and ran and ran. That being said if it's in your budget and you want it do it the diesel rules.
drewbie
AG
I'm in a similar situation as you. We have 4 kids with the oldest being 7 years old. I bought a F250 w/ the center seat so I can tow our RV and we can all fit in one vehicle on our family trips. This happens a few times a year. Our trips are between 1-3 hours each way. The F250 is big enough that we all sit comfortably. If the trip is w/n an hour, we sometimes take two vehicles. Other than those trips, we do not use my F250 for family outings. We take my wife's expedition (really wish we had a minivan...). We've considered getting a Nissan NV3500 but have not yet.

Legally, Texas law does not specify an age when kids can sit in the front. All it says is children must be in a approved child seat until they are older than 8 and exceed 4 ft, 9 in. Then they can sit in a regular seat. It also says they can sit in the front seat when they are 13 or older. I read that as a regular front seat w/ airbags. My dad is a police officer, and I checked with him before buying the F250. He said law does not specify an age, but it is recommended kids are in the back; however, if all back seats are filled w/ younger kids, then a police officer should not have a problem w/ one in the front seat. He said it's similar to kids sitting in the front in a single cab truck.

Edit to add that I would recommend an Expedition or minivan over the truck if you need to use the front middle seat often. Much more interior space and drives better. I would only get the truck if you need to regularly tow something heavy.
FC12
You can remove that console pretty easily. I did on our QX80. I would assume the 56 would be the same.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Thoughts on reasons you wish you had a minivan over the Exp? Egress? Parking? MPG?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
TSW2012 said:

I have a front bench in my truck it's not comfortable but fine for infrequent use. Especially with current truck prices im not sure the diesel is worth it. The 6.2 or 7.3 gas will be much cheaper to maintain and operate. Unless your towing 50+% of the time know that you are buying a modern diesel because it's fast and powerful. They are not the same as the diesels of old that ran and ran and ran. That being said if it's in your budget and you want it do it the diesel rules.

I guess my belief, mistaken it sounds like, was that the diesel would run and run. I would have no problem driving a truck 300k-400k miles if it would run that long. I don't really care about what I drive as long as it can take me to point a to point b reliably and safely, it can handle my entire family and it's a Ford truck but looks like I got some decisions to make.

My next three on this board was going to be.

"Any advice for a first time diesel buyer?"

I know a ton of you would have cringed but I'd rather be honest and knowledge then quite and stupid.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Thank you for your well thought out and well written post and clarification of the law. I appreciate it so much.
BBRex
AG
Just slap these Brat jump seats in the back of the F150 and save yourself some cash.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Brat-Rear-Seats-W-Brackets-76-77-78-79-80-81-82-/164829960423?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
nhamp07
AG
Similar situation and bought a 21 f150 lariat with a center seat in the front with moveable console.

Also fixed now.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Quigley

MONICA
drewbie
AG
Mostly because the minivan has more trunk space. We have a regular Expedition with 2nd row captain seats (not extended length). Our trunk is very tight unless we put one of the 3rd row seats down. With 4 kids, we have 2 in the captains, and 2 in the back. The kids in the back row need to be on opposite sides (middle free) for sanity sake. They bicker if they are next to each other (they bicker when they are apart too...). So, we have very limited trunk space. As our boys get older, the trunk space is not as big of deal. We just graduated from a double stroller to a single stroller. However, once sports starts to get big, our trunk space will be tight with chairs, coolers, sports gear, etc.

Another small thing is grocery shopping or other things like that. Trunk space is tight when grocery shopping, especially when buying for a household of 6. We have booster seats in the 3rd row so they are easy to move now and I just lower one of the seats for space, but when they were in 5 point harness they were buckled/latched in. It was much harder to move them around.

If you get an Expedition, strongly recommend getting an EL or Max. This will make garage parking tight, but that extra space would be huge.

Some people will say minivan is easier to drive turn, but I feel like an Expedition is pretty easy. Especially since I'm already used to driving a F250. The cargo/trunk area of minivan is bigger than a regular Expedition.

Edit to add that MPG is better in a minivan, but that really isn't a big deal for us. It would be nice to get better gas mileage, but not even close to being a deal breaker for us.
BCOBQ98
AG
Wait what? I've had my 11 year old ride in the front seat for some time now. The age is 13 regardless of anything?
JeepWaveEarl
AG
from what I understand, yes. I've got a 10 year old that's 5'3" and wears adult M/L clothing and 32/30 waist and he is not supposed to be in front.
TSW2012
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

TSW2012 said:

I guess my belief, mistaken it sounds like, was that the diesel would run and run. I would have no problem driving a truck 300k-400k miles if it would run that long. I don't really care about what I drive as long as it can take me to point a to point b reliably and safely, it can handle my entire family and it's a Ford truck but looks like I got some decisions to make.

My next three on this board was going to be.

"Any advice for a first time diesel buyer?"

I know a ton of you would have cringed but I'd rather be honest and knowledge then quite and stupid.

In my opinion the modern gas engines will last several hundred thousand miles as well. I know several guys that have 250k on late model 6.2 fords. Also the Diesel engine has so much more equipment(turbos, after treatment, lift pumps, etc). If you look under the hood there is no empty space, whereas with the gas truck it looks empty, there is plenty of space to work on stuff. For most repairs the cab has to come off the diesel. My thinking is that if the suspension, axels, and driveline is designed to take the extra weight and stress of the diesel those components will last longer with the gas engine. In my experience my tires and brakes have lasted longer with the gas truck and even doing my own oil change is 1/3 the price. My experience of mostly highway had not seen huge mpg difference as well 2-3mpg at best. Out of warranty it's my belief that the gas motors will be easier for third party shops to work on.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.