Will Inspection Fail For No Front License Plate?

6,700 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Diet Cokehead
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2019 used Vehicle was purchased from a dealer last year and is up for inspection. There is no front license plate. Will they fail the car and send us away to get it fixed, or will it pass? I know they are legally required, but I'm not sure if it will fail inspection.

Also, how early before inspection and registration is die can you get a car inspected? The calendar month before an issue?
Gilligan
AG
Sea Speed said:

2019 used Vehicle was purchased from a dealer last year and is up for inspection. There is no front license plate. Will they fail the car and send us away to get it fixed, or will it pass? I know they are legally required, but I'm not sure if it will fail inspection.

Also, how early before inspection and registration is die can you get a car inspected? The calendar month before an issue?
Wife "lost" hers driving through high water years ago. Hasn't been an issue.

That said we're supposed to have front license plates per law.
Sea Speed
AG
Right, I knew it was a law, but didn't know if they will fail you for it like they will tint.
txyaloo
AG
Sea Speed said:

Right, I knew it was a law, but didn't know if they will fail you for it like they will tint.
Front plate isn't on the inspection list. So no issue there.

You can get the inspection up to 90 calendar days before registration is done
aTm2004
AG
I learned years ago to always go to a shady spot outside of town. No chance of failing for nit picky stuff there.
AgDaddy08-11
S
Don't want to hijack the thread, but a quick related question. If your dash airbag light is on I assume that would fail the cars inspection?
aTm2004
AG
Probably. Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes and see if it goes off.
Sea Speed
AG
txyaloo said:

Sea Speed said:

Front plate isn't on the inspection list. So no issue there.

You can get the inspection up to 90 calendar days before registration is done

Thank you loads!
YouBet
AG
Sea Speed said:

Mine never has in 5 years.
Sea Speed
AG
Nvmd
Tim Weaver
You don't have to have license plates at all since the intention of the inspection is to GET those plates. I've bought plenty of cars where the PO kept the plates. No problem at the inspection place.

No front plate gives 5-0 a reason to pull you over. Athough they rarely do. I've had a couple of cars with missing/no front plate and only been pulled over once for it.
AgDaddy08-11
S
Thank you, will try that.
FTAco07
AG
Just got mine passed without a front plate as I don't even have a bracket for one. I believe the law still requires one, but a few years ago the legislature did away with any actual penalties for not having it. As others have said, probable cause for a stop if a cop wants to be an ass, but no fine anymore.
Sea Speed
AG
Yea, no bracket on ours either. Got through inspection just fine but got dinged on the other sled for wipers. So obnoxious.
rilloaggie
AG
I drove a sweet (read POS) Pontiac grand am from 05-08. Got pulled over 1-2 times per year around BCS for no front plate, but got warnings every time.

These days I assume you're safer driving a paper plate vehicle than one with real plates. Cops probably know you're more likely to pay a ticket if it looks like your car might pass inspection.
txyaloo
AG
FTAco07 said:

Just got mine passed without a front plate as I don't even have a bracket for one. I believe the law still requires one, but a few years ago the legislature did away with any actual penalties for not having it. As others have said, probable cause for a stop if a cop wants to be an ass, but no fine anymore.
The Legislature accidentally did away with the penalties from Jan 2012 - Sept 2013. It was corrected in the 2013 Legislative session with a $200 fine
FTAco07
AG
Good to know. Thanks for the correction
drmwvr
AG
AgDaddy08-11 said:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but a quick related question. If your dash airbag light is on I assume that would fail the cars inspection?

Airbag is not part of inspection.
Aggieangler93
AG
Yep, airbag light is no problem for inspection. My last truck had the airbag light on for probably 5 years, passed every time.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Never have put front plates on my car and never will. Never had a problem.

Also, I have illegal as hell tint, but just take it to the dealership that I give a lot of business to each year and it passes with no problems.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.