Dealerships and fees - Coming to a head?

1,959 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Dr. Doctor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GM and Lawsuit over "Destination Fees"

Apparently people aren't too happy to pay a destination fee when that should be included in the price when you buy a new car (not to mention all the other fees).

Maybe the others will be hit as well (Ford, Toyota, etc.)

~egon
PMD03
AG
I have always been amazed at destination fees from Detroit vehicles that are higher than fees from vehicles made in Germany or Japan.

Toyota Land Cruiser: $1,595
Ford Expedition: $1,695
Stat Monitor Repairman
What other product is sold like this?

Destination fees and dealer prep fees from regional distributor.

It may have something to do with limiting tax liability for the manufacturers.
txags92
AG
PMD03 said:

I have always been amazed at destination fees from Detroit vehicles that are higher than fees from vehicles made in Germany or Japan.

Toyota Land Cruiser: $1,595
Ford Expedition: $1,695

The Ford is probably made more in Canada or Mexico than Detroit these days.

Nevermind, they are made in Kentucky. Yeah, that is pretty silly to charge that much versus one made in Japan.
txags92
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

What other product is sold like this?

Destination fees and dealer prep fees from regional distributor.

It may have something to do with limiting tax liability for the manufacturers.
Airline seats? How often do you see the shorter flight cost alot more than tacking on an extra leg? I.e. flying Houston to Chicago is more expensive than flying Austin to Chicago, even though the Austin flight goes to Houston first.
Ikanizer
AG
Still waiting on Amazon prime to start selling F150s. I could have saved a lot of time and money on my new truck. Maybe the next one.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Consumer reports "Talking Cars" podcast had a great episode about this recently.

Its getting out of hand.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I just see all the fees as ways to increase profits without doing any work.

I was reading elsewhere that people were still charging destination fees from plants that they can see and a dealer that was like 3 miles away. Unfortunately, they were buying a Mitsubishi Mirage, so the destination fee was probably the final assembly!

I find the F&I fees 'hilarious' as those are fees WE have to pay for them doing their own work. Why should I pay the paper application that you make me fill out?

~egon
txags92
AG
Last I heard, all the "dealer prep"for Tacomas and Tundras built in San Antonio and sold in Gulf States Toyotoa territory was taking place at the Gulf States Toyota facility at the port of Houston. So trucks built in San Antonio were being sent to Houston for "prep" and then back to San Antonio for sale. And i am sure there is a hefty "destination fee" involved.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
txags92 said:

Last I heard, all the "dealer prep"for Tacomas and Tundras built in San Antonio and sold in Gulf States Toyotoa territory was taking place at the Gulf States Toyota facility at the port of Houston. So trucks built in San Antonio were being sent to Houston for "prep" and then back to San Antonio for sale. And i am sure there is a hefty "destination fee" involved.

GST goons
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.