IDI vs 7.3

1,558 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TdoubleH
TdoubleH
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 1984 F250 body style is probably my favorite followed by a 1995-1997. Finding a few options and am looking at two different trucks. One being a low mileage (<50k) 1984 IDI and another being a higher mileage (150k+) 1997 7.3.

Both exterior and interior are in good shape and apples to apples in comparison. Both are extended cab not crew.

7.3 doesn't scare me at that mileage. But don't know much about IDI's and long term use. Not taking price into consideration, how would these stack up for you?
Rexter
The PSD has more ponies/torque, but neither one will win a drag race. The IDI is all mechanical...the PSD is computerized and uses an HPOP to fire the injectors. All else equal, I'd go IDI for ease/cost of repairs.
Tim Weaver
It's the same motor. But the Powerstroke (PSD) is computerized and turbocharged. The IDI is all mechanical and is naturally aspirated.

The IDI can be turbo'd pretty easily though. There were lots of kits on the market.

BTW, I sold my 7.3 with 360k miles and never had a serious problem with it.
MTTANK
AG
The 6.9 is a great engine on its own, but those trucks need constant work and break all the time. First diesel Ford brought to market in the 250 and 350 pickups. The 7.3 turbo and NA 7.3 before those were much more reliable in our experience. I also favor the same body style as, but would go gas powered in that instance 351w or 460.
Jason Ag
AG
I've heard people say the IDI parts are more difficult to find sometimes. I see 7.3s almost every day, been a while since I've seen an IDI.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Tim Weaver said:

It's the same motor. But the Powerstroke (PSD) is computerized and turbocharged. The IDI is all mechanical and is naturally aspirated.

The IDI can be turbo'd pretty easily though. There were lots of kits on the market.

BTW, I sold my 7.3 with 360k miles and never had a serious problem with it.
THIS!

6.9L was the early Foray into diesel pickups for Ford, which was an International supplied engine.

Then they went to the 7.3L IDI.

1993 offered both the 7.3L IDI and the 7.3L Turbodiesel.

1994 offered the 7.3L IDI, and the 7.3L Turbodiesel and the Job #2 offered the Powerstroke (aka T444E) also called 94 and a half.

94.5-97 Was the HEUI Powerstroke, and 99+ Went to split shot injection.

TdoubleH
AG
Went with the 7.3. I'll pick her up next week.
Burdizzo
AG
I ran a '92 IDI for about 24 years and 300k+ miles. It was great engine for its time, but technology has moved far beyond it. Near the end, I was forever chasing leaks in the fuel system because those old rubber fuel and air lines didn't like modern diesel. Parts were getting harder to find. It has been almost 30 years since Ford put that engine in a truck. In relative terms it would be like having a flathead in the 1980s.

I wish you lots of luck. I will share any wisdom I have.
the pit man
just curious, what's a '97 7.3 with about 178 thousand in good shape worth in todays market
TdoubleH
AG
What's it worth. $6,500-$10k. What are you gonna pay.$10-$25k depending on options
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.