2021 Suburu Crosstrek

3,397 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mookie
sonnysixkiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about buying a Suburu Crosstrek for work commute vehicle anyone have any experience with this crossover ?
Dill-Ag13
AG
1. You won't get anywhere close to the EPA mileage
2. CVTs suck
TSJ
AG
You misspelled WRX
Mookie
AG
I own a crosstrek and like it a lot. It's my sons car. Very versatile, good size, AWD is sticky as hell.

Performs well off road and good mountain bike carrier.
sonnysixkiller
AG
How is the ride overall and how about the mpg ??
Mookie
AG
MPGs are anywhere from 30-35. Ride is great. Nothing luxury about the car.
nortex97
AG
Do the dealerships actually sell the coexist bumper stickers?
sonnysixkiller
AG
Don't even know what that means ? Have you had an experience with the crosstrek good or bad ? Thanks.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
nortex97 said:

Do the dealerships actually sell the coexist bumper stickers?

Only austin area ones. And you can either choose from a pair of Birkenstock's or some of those vibram feet gloves.
TSW2012
AG
We have the outback thought the cross trek was a bit too small. We are super happy with it, the eyesight and radar cruise control make commutes and long trips so much better. I get at least the advertised mpg in Houston so no hills and sea level.
MikesFamousJava
AG
OP, if it is within your desired price range, you should look at the Forester as well. You gain considerably more cargo capacity for virtually no drop in gas mileage. The Fozzy is also more upscale, particularly on the higher trim levels. I just bought a '19 Forester Sport for one of my daughters, and I bought Mazda CX-5s for my other two daughters (no rule no. 1). If I were to consider the Crosstrek, I'd go for the larger (2.5L) engine (over the 2.0L). Ignore the CVT haters and drive it and judge for yourself. There have been some bad CVTs for sure, especially early on, but Subaru does them well. I have an Outback and love it.
No issues with the CVT for me, power is just fine, safety is top of the line, as is the AWD system, and reliability is strong.
NColoradoAG
I drive a 2019 Crosstrek in the limited trim. Overall, its a fine vehicle. Get about 32-33 MPG on the interstates and 28-30 in town. It doesn't have much power that's for sure, but I believe the new models do offer a larger engine. It does really well in bad weather and I've driven it through some pretty deep snow. Eyesight is great. Probably my favorite feature and definitely the best system of any car I've driven over the past few years.

I probably won't get another crosstrek though and will go with a Forrester the next go around.
sonnysixkiller
AG
My commute would be about 130 miles total per day here in Texas all highway miles. Any reason why a crosstrek would have problems with that?
NColoradoAG
sonnysixkiller said:

My commute would be about 130 miles total per day here in Texas all highway miles. Any reason why a crosstrek would have problems with that?

It wouldn't have any problems, but I imagine there's a more comfortable car to commute in (I assume) mild Texas weather.
Texker
AG
My son has an '18 or '19 Crosstrek that he bought new. I have no details other than he's said he loves it. I can't get details at the moment cuz his boat is out.
TSJ
AG
sonnysixkiller said:

Cabin noise. I love my wrx, but with the better than normal tires and not a a lot of sound deadening it's a noise place to be. The smoothest roads are fine but highways are always under construction. It's the one thing I want to fix on the car.

I have a feeling the crosstrek has similar issues. There are much better highway cars out there.
aggiedata
AG
If you are going to commute almost 30,000 miles a year, why not buy a used Toyota or Honda and save some money?

I couldn't spend $30,000 on this, but that's just me. What will it be worth in 4 years with 120,000 miles on it?

FIDO*98*
AG
You'd have to compare to similarly priced vehicles. I've got an Outback and my company vehicle selector game me a choice of that or the Equinox, Terrain, Mazda CX-30, RAV4, or Cherokee. The Outback is at least as good or better than all of those in it's segment.

My previous car was a Legacy and we bought if for my son when it was time to turn it in. I'm likely taking a new job soon and won't have a company car anymore. If that happens, I'll give him our 4Runner and go back to the Legacy. I put 35K miles/yr on my work cars. Subarus are very comfortable for commuting and EyeSight is awesome
lb3
AG
So many lesbians on the auto board.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/how-subarus-came-to-be-seen-as-cars-for-lesbians/488042/
John Francis Donaghy
aggiedata said:

If you are going to commute almost 30,000 miles a year, why not buy a used Toyota or Honda and save some money?

I couldn't spend $30,000 on this, but that's just me. What will it be worth in 4 years with 120,000 miles on it?

Last time I was in the market for a used Honda or Toyota commuter car, a 3-ish year old base model Accord/Camry with 50k on the clock were all going for ~$25,000 all in. That was before the current car supply crunch, so I don't know what the comparison looks like today, but the premium placed on Honda/Toyota badging is out of hand IMO. A brand new Subaru can often be had for as much as a 3 year old similar Honda/Toyota car, maybe even for less.
aggiedata
AG
I'm talking about a +10 year old Toyota or Honda. There was one in here recently for $6,000. One that has depreciated. Put 125,000 more miles on it and sell it for $4,500. That's the way you commute. They are reliable as heck.
BBRex
AG
My wife has a '13 Crosstrek that she really likes, but will likely get something nicer in a couple years. It gets decent gas mileage and is okay on the road. We drove it through a snow/ice storm near Dallas not long after we got it, and it was very surefooted on that.
John Francis Donaghy
aggiedata said:

I'm talking about a +10 year old Toyota or Honda. There was one in here recently for $6,000. One that has depreciated. Put 125,000 more miles on it and sell it for $4,500. That's the way you commute. They are reliable as heck.

I'm all for smart vehicle purchases, but there is more to the decision than the bottom line IMO. If I'm driving 30k miles a year, I don't want to do it in a car with decade+ old safety tech. If not suffering depreciation is the be all, end all, of the decision, then yes, your approach is the way to go. For me, it's more of a balance of price, reliability, safety features, noise, and to a lesser extent comfort. A 10+ year old car is going to be too far behind in safety, comfort/noise, and reliability (all decade old cars have things break, even Hondas and Toyotas), to be worth the depreciation savings IMO.
sonnysixkiller
AG
Have looked at many different low mileage options it does not make sense to me to buy used at his time with the prices the way they are. I have to have something that gets decent gas mileage and I think gas is going to be a problem the entire time Biden is in office. This has been a hard decision as i have always driven pickups Im looking at driving it for three years and then giving it to my son.
NColoradoAG
sonnysixkiller said:

Have looked at many different low mileage options it does not make sense to me to buy used at his time with the prices the way they are. I have to have something that gets decent gas mileage and I think gas is going to be a problem the entire time Biden is in office. This has been a hard decision as i have always driven pickups Im looking at driving it for three years and then giving it to my son.

If that's the plan then I'd go drive a CRV, Rav4, and the Crosstrek. Let your kid decide.
drumboy
AG
NColoradoAG said:

sonnysixkiller said:

If that's the plan then I'd go drive a CRV, Rav4, and the Crosstrek. Let your kid decide.

Kids getting a free car in 3 years. Let the buyer decide.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
NColoradoAG
drumboy said:

NColoradoAG said:

sonnysixkiller said:

One way to look at it. Also the kid hopefully drives it all through high school and college so that's another perspective.
drumboy
AG
NColoradoAG said:

drumboy said:

NColoradoAG said:

sonnysixkiller said:

One way to look at it. Also the kid hopefully drives it all through high school and college so that's another perspective.
Kid always has the option to buy his/her/their own car if they'd prefer a crv over a finely built symmetrical awd Subaru.

Lol in what world does a parent let their kid dictate a vehicle purchase for the parent that the kid will one day possibly 'inherit'?
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

NColoradoAG
drumboy said:

Lol in what world does a parent let their kid dictate a vehicle purchase for the parent that the kid will one day possibly 'inherit'?
It doesn't seem like an outlandish idea, but you're probably the type that starts most stories to your kids with "back in my day."
YouBet
AG
Worst car I've ever driven. We rented one in Colorado thinking we were doing a bit of "when in Rome".

Lol. Absolute dog and POS. We had to pull over frequently and let people pass us because it was so underpowered.
UTExan
sonnysixkiller said:

If you are doing that many miles consider a Toyota hybrid. You can get them in various models, including Camry. I have a 2015 Prius that averages 57 mpg on the highway: it is extremely comfortable to drive, but ground clearance is a bit low. We will probably go with a hybrid RAV or some other Toyota hybrid SUV for our next car purchase.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
drumboy
AG
NColoradoAG said:

drumboy said:

It doesn't seem like an outlandish idea, but you're probably the type that starts most stories to your kids with "back in my day."
OK, I just got clapped back for thinking it's ridiculous to let a 14 year old pick a car you're gonna be spending 2 hours commuting in daily.

My daughter would have me in a Jeep so hell naw on that, but does does agree that 996s are ugly, prefers 997s like me, but likes cabrios so she's half right.

drumboy
AG
YouBet said:

Worst car I've ever driven. We rented one in Colorado thinking we were doing a bit of "when in Rome".

Lol. Absolute dog and POS. We had to pull over frequently and let people pass us because it was so underpowered.
I'm a subie fanboi any my biggest recommendation is to get the better engine. I've only had WRX wagons and lots of Subie hater's only experience is renting a base Crosstrek in Denver to load up w/ luggage and asses to drive to Breck.

Looks like IC options are 152/145 hp/tq or 182/176 hp/tq so you won't win any races with either but that lower engine is gonna be ssllooww. I'd go w/ the Forester for sure, two friends just got those and like them; one went from an F150 and is already shopping bull bars and top baskets.

Brad_97
AG
I think the new answer may be to get a white Ford Maverick. TBD...
sonnysixkiller
AG
Decided to buy a crosstrek contacted Roy Reyes at Georgetown Suburu. Roy was knowledgeable, not pushy , no tricks as drive off price was exactly what he quoted me over the phone and did what he said he would do. I hope the vehicle is as good as the salesman.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.