Hazard lights in rain

4,780 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Dog Lord
aftershock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I drive a lot for work. A while back I drove though a bad storm and I was definitely in the minority having my hazards off. It was extraordinarily distracting, and almost got hit a couple of times by idiots changing lanes because their blinkers weren't operational. I don't get it. If everyone is driving with their hazards on, what's the point? You're not more visible with them on than if you are with your running lights on.
GCRanger
AG
https://www.accuweather.com/en/accuweather-ready/why-its-not-safe-to-flash-hazard-lights-while-driving-in-the-rain/600709

- for disabled vehicles
- harder to see brake lights, reduces visibility
- general distraction
The Dog Lord
AG
aftershock said:

I drive a lot for work. A while back I drove though a bad storm and I was definitely in the minority having my hazards off. It was extraordinarily distracting, and almost got hit a couple of times by idiots changing lanes because their blinkers weren't operational. I don't get it. If everyone is driving with their hazards on, what's the point? You're not more visible with them on than if you are with your running lights on.

I disagree on the visibility part. Drove through some pretty rough weather the other day between Houston and San Antonio and could see the cars with flashers on much better than those without, especially when putting extra distance between myself and those ahead of me. Couldn't make out some of the other cars in front even though I knew they were just out of sight.

That said, some people didn't have their lights on at all which obviously didn't help. I don't drive with my flashers on, but the exception might be during an intense downpour where I'm going well below speed limit. If it's that bad though, I'd consider pulling over completely and waiting it out.
TexAg1987
I'm kinda old fashioned. I just prefer to drive with my hood up.
aggiedata
AG
cevans_40
AG
Headlights and taillights on, hazards off. Unless your car is broken down. Seems like common sense but just remember it's not that common anymore.
EMY92
AG
In honor of this thread, I now drive everywhere with the hazards on. Day or night, rain or shine, it doesn't matter.
Trucker 96
If you have your regular lights on, WE CAN SEE YOU. As mentioned before, they are supposed to be for stationary/disabled vehicles and your blinkers don't work. All you are accomplishing is confusion
Trucker 96
And if you somehow can't be seen with your lights on because you are driving in a monsoon of monsoons, it's time to get your ass off the road for a few minutes
Cassius
GAC06 said:

What's wrong with it is that if it's actually low vis I'd like to know who is a car driving in a lane and who is a disabled vehicle pulled to the side. Second, it eliminated turn signals but I guess most of the assclowns cruising around with hazards on weren't likely to use their turn signals anyway.

When it's raining, turn on your lights. That's all that's necessary.

Completely agree.
BBRex
AG
I can't decide which recent import to Texas I hate more, the hazard lights in the rain or flashing yellow turn arrow.
The Dog Lord
AG
BBRex said:

I can't decide which recent import to Texas I hate more, the hazard lights in the rain or flashing yellow turn arrow.

I remember the first time I saw a flashing yellow arrow in SA. I was paralyzed for a second thinking "WTF does that mean?!"
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.