VW Jetta

2,904 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 80
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone here drive a 2020 or 2021 Jetta? Looking at downsizing out of my truck because of today's market and taking that money to pay off wife's vehicle.

Thoughts?
Pros?
Cons?
Mookie
AG
Eh you can do better
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
$21k for a new car with leather that gets 30mpg or better on average... I'm all ears.
Complete Idiot
If it's not a Golf or GTI, I really dislike VW's

It's just their driving feel and quality that I don't like. I'm sure it's not fair, but that's my opinion.
Flaith
AG
VW fanboi here.

Buy a GLI version
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I would... but if I stick with the standard 1.4L it averages over 30mpg and I have an auto allowance incentive that bumps up what I get monthly.
Flaith
AG
I think you can do better at that point.

Check out the Kia K5
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Yea I did that too as well as the new Sonata.. Both are quite more expensive.
Complete Idiot
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Anyone here drive a 2020 or 2021 Jetta? Looking at downsizing out of my truck because of today's market and taking that money to pay off wife's vehicle.

Thoughts?
Pros?
Cons?
Are you going by price alone or have you driven a few of the competitors in the segment?
Caladan
We haven't owned a Jetta, but my wife had an Eos for four years and an A5 (latest generation) Beetle for almost five years. Both were extremely reliable, which is surprising to say about the Eos considering how complicated the roof mechanism is. The only issue that developed between these two vehicles was a broken rear license plate light bracket on the Eos. It was a 30 second fix. Other than that, it was normal maintenance only.

Bases on our past experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another VW. In fact, I have been thinking about getting a GTI (if they still make them) as a daily driver. It would be a lot more fun to drive than my Silverado.
Silvy
AG
Flaith said:

Check out the Kia K5

Had one of these as a rental and it was ass.

For commuter cars, I don't think there's a better value than VW. My base model Golf has heated seats and a leather wrapped steering wheel lol
Complete Idiot
Just based on my (perhaps unfair) stereotypes based on past experiences, I'd be shopping Mazda or Honda before VW. But could see the VW ahead of Toyota or Hyundai/Kia in this particular segment. I'm not even sure who the other competitors are.
Flaith
AG
silverado_lover said:

Flaith said:

Check out the Kia K5

Had one of these as a rental and it was ass.

For commuter cars, I don't think there's a better value than VW. My base model Golf has heated seats and a leather wrapped steering wheel lol
touche

like I said, I'm a VAG fanboi, so I support this decision
agnerd
AG
Don't own one, but Jetta GLI if you like to take corners fast and have a little fun on your drive. I've always liked how they handle. Seem better in turns that the others in the class. If you're just looking for cheap, reliable transportation, New Honda/Toyota or used Hyundai/Kia.
AgCPA95
AG
We bought my son a '17 GLI a year ago for his first ride. Seems like a great car so far and really fun to drive as its a stick!
Texker
AG
It was 1.5 years ago but I drove a pre-owned Jetta. ('18 maybe?) Never owned a VW. It was serviceable but smaller than I wanted. I ended up going with a pre-owned '13 Lexus 300h. MPG was a major factor as I drive a lot for work but I also wanted something comfortable and fun to drive if I wanted to turn it up a bit.

I picked up the Lexus all in for a shade under $20k and only 58k miles. (of course, this was pre-Covid) Easily see 35-40MPG and takes regular. I'd trust a good used Lexus over a new VW any day. Just one opinion.

Another option I seriously considered was a CPO Sonata as it was in the same price range. Solid car but I liked the Lexus better.

If you're set on new then none of my experience matters.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Cannot go that old. Auto allowance only allows for vehicles 5 years and newer so I'd like to be on the newer half of that range.
CREAg87
AG
Flaith said:

VW fanboi here.

Buy a GLI version
This.

I have a 2019 GLI and it gets 30+ easily.
Texker
AG

Cannot go that old. Auto allowance only allows for vehicles 5 years and newer so I'd like to be on the newer half of that range.
Very well. Auto allowance requirements would have been good to mention in your OP.
schmendeler
AG

$21k for a new car with leather that gets 30mpg or better on average... I'm all ears.
i like VW, but i am pretty sure that's pleather.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
schmendeler said:

i like VW, but i am pretty sure that's pleather.

Heated pleather is better than cloth 10 times out of 10.
schmendeler
AG
i'm not debating the merits of pleather. i just wanted to make you didn't think you were getting leather when you were not.
SteveA
AG
The leather in my 15 GTI is as nice as any Honda or Toyota.
akaggie05
AG
Had a 2011 Jetta TDI that I used for my long distance commute at the time. Wasn't a hot rod by any means but still fun to drive (I was coming off of an '06 GTO, for reference). My route to work took me down some very wide open freeway and it loved to creep into triple digits before I realized what was happening. Put nearly 100K on it before VW made me an offer I couldn't refuse and bought it back because dieselgate. Some days I wish i kept it.

Can't speak to their gassers but mine held up just fine. Can count on one hand the number of issues that popped up outside of routine maintenance. Driver door window regulator was the biggest PIA that I remember but still not that bad.

You can probably do worse.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I guess since I didn't fully explain in first post, here we go.

Market is stupid right now and Carvana, Carmax, KBB all are offering me about $2k less than what I paid for my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali that has 45k miles on it. I can take that money and pay off the wife's 2019 X5 and then get me something with a very low payment but has a few goodies (Jetta with heated pleather, etc). I've looked at Hyundai, Toyota, Kia, Subaru, and Honda but I'm looking at at least another $5-$6k to get something that compares options wise. I will keep this car long enough to pay off stupid crap and save BUT more importantly to just take advantage of the market. Mind you 6 months ago the value I was given was about $6,500 less than now.

It has to be 5 years or newer to fall within auto allowance guidelines and that is why I'd like to fall on the newer half. I get an additional bump if it averages 30mpg or more. This makes it more worth it. I'm not a fan of VW BUT all options point me to it that for my little temporary commute warrior.
akaggie05
AG
Your updated story doesn't change a thing, IMO. Go for it.
BQ04
AG
One day at a stop light, while driving a Jetta and enjoying the 30+mpg with 5spd manual, I looked over my left shoulder and realized that the truck bumper next to me was at eye level.

Hmmm.

The only thing between my head and that truck bumper is this pane of glass...

Sold the Jetta the next week.
CrottyKid
AG
For your purposes?
Honda Accord or Civic all day every day.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Anyone done the standard range Tesla 3?
northeastag
AG
OP, I've owned two Jetta over the years. Both fun to drive, and got great gas mileage. Both were diesels and got 45-50 mpg. The first was flawless and never had a problem, but had to get rid of it because my daughter couldn't drive a stick (and in NY was tough to teach). The second was a piece of meat from the get-go, and one of the diesels that the company ended up buying back. I had so many electrical problems with the car that I'd never buy a VW or Audi again.

But hey, you could have that problem with any car (I guess).

As far as KIA or Hyandai go. I had a business trip to Seoul about 15 years ago. We had to drive out to a plant about 3 miles out of town for the tour/meeting. We were in a Chrysler Van (to accommodate us all). On the way back to town we had to stop at 4 different gas stations before we found one that would sell gas to an AMERICAN vehicle. Needles to say, I'll freeze in hell before I ever buy anything from Korea.
schmendeler
AG
northeastag said:

OP, I've owned two Jetta over the years. Both fun to drive, and got great gas mileage. Both were diesels and got 45-50 mpg. The first was flawless and never had a problem, but had to get rid of it because my daughter couldn't drive a stick (and in NY was tough to teach). The second was a piece of meat from the get-go, and one of the diesels that the company ended up buying back. I had so many electrical problems with the car that I'd never buy a VW or Audi again.

But hey, you could have that problem with any car (I guess).

As far as KIA or Hyandai go. I had a business trip to Seoul about 15 years ago. We had to drive out to a plant about 3 miles out of town for the tour/meeting. We were in a Chrysler Van (to accommodate us all). On the way back to town we had to stop at 4 different gas stations before we found one that would sell gas to an AMERICAN vehicle. Needles to say, I'll freeze in hell before I ever buy anything from Korea.
this man knows how to hold a grudge.
Complete Idiot

So no longer paying off the wife's car?

STAY ON TARGET
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Complete Idiot said:

So no longer paying off the wife's car?

STAY ON TARGET

Still doable. My extra allowance goes up even more with electric. The trade in offer or buy out offer of my truck would allow me to pay cash for the Tesla and roll the extra allowance onto wife's car. At that point I would still technically come out ahead haha.

Drove that Jetta yesterday and damn what a world of a difference that car is. Just tough decision lol.
BBQ4Me
AG
Also try the Civic EX-T
Wiggletrace
AG
I have a 2013 GLI Autobahn and have owned it the duration. It is a fun car to drive for what it is. It's fairly reliable and I've only recently had to spend any money on anything mechanical. The pleather is actually pretty decent.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.