Hybrid Jeep - Rule 1

1,860 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by steve00
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back in December I ordered the new Jeep Wrangler 4xe and I just got it yesterday. I traded in my nearly identical 2019 that had the normal 2.0 engine and a soft top. The only different options I got was the Sky One Touch roof and the now-available front facing camera.

Having previously owned a hard-top Wrangler, I had no idea how limiting the plastic back window would be on the soft top. Instead of flipping open the glass to put a large item in the back or to arrange your cargo, you had to partially remove the back window, which takes a couple of minutes and inevitably gets your hands quite dirty. I also found that dropping the soft-top isn't as convenient as you might think if you aren't at home and able to store the back window and side panels in the garage. If you drop it while out and about, the panels take up a lot of room in the back of the Jeep. Switching to the electric convertible top and getting a real back window was my primary reason for getting this new Jeep.

The hybrid engine is pretty cooI too. I live 2.5 miles from my office, so the ability to run 20 miles per charge on strictly electric power should mean that most of my daily driving is all electric. I'll only need to use gas when driving to farther away places or going on road-trips, and then I'll still benefit from the hybrid drive functionality. I really like that with the hybrid I can go on long trips and not have to worry about stopping to charge the battery midday. I can just run on gas like normal once the battery is dead and then charge it back up once I'm done driving for the day. For my personal usage patterns, this is superior to a full electric vehicle.

The Jeep is amazingly smooth and quiet when running in full electic mode. I haven't gotten it out on the highway yet to compare road noise to the soft and hard tops, but I'm guessing it will compare favorably.
HollywoodBQ
AG
steve00 said:

Switching to the electric convertible top and getting a real back window was my primary reason for getting this new Jeep.
I considered doing it just to get the awesome looking blue tow hooks.

Congratulations!

Looking forward to the long term report in a year or so.
OXDL45
AG
Sweet ride!
'03ag
Sweeeeeeeet. Where you at, and would you be willing to let two idiots review it for their Youtube channel?
aggieforester05
AG
That's cool, I didn't even know there was such a thing.
steve00
AG
I'm in DC, so probably not too convenient for you.

I don't know if it is true, but my dealership said that as of Saturday less than 50 of them had been delivered across the country.
Complete Idiot
I had a 1974 Jeep CJ and it's just really sad to see how these Jeeps are basically unchanged in almost 50 years.

(just kidding, the '74 was a tractor with a soft top and these are from a different world of technology and refinement)
BMach
AG
Bump, how you liking the 4xe after a year?
steve00
AG
I'm still loving it. It's got about 12k miles on it and I've had no issues. It seems like I only ever have to buy gas on road trips, as I almost always drive in electric around the city.

I charge at home via the Level 1 charger that it came with, plugged into a normal outlet. Takes around 12 hours to go from 0-100%, but that isn't a problem since I usually have 12 hours from when I get home until I leave for work the next day, and most of the time I get home with more than 0% left.

I really like the quiet, smooth ride when in electric. And it is plenty fast enough to take off quickly from a stop.

The battery runs out fast at highway speeds, so I generally switch to e-save mode there, so that it runs essentially on gas and just uses electric when extra HP and tourque is needed. It's a Jeep, so it's loud at highway speed anyway. Once I get off the highway, I switch it back to electric.

Overall it is perfect for my use-case, but it probably wouldn't work as well for the majority of people, especially in TX.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.