OBD II port problem - power but the shop can't read.

653 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigNastyNate
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I hook up any of my code scanners (2 bluetooth and 1 harbor freight handheld) i get power and can read/reset codes no problem.

But when i take it an inspection place (tried 2 different ones) they are unable to get it to connect to the testing machine.

I checked the fuses and l,ike i said, my readers are getting power.

Any ideas what to do next? Googling only gets me solutions for the power being out. which it isn't.

it is a 98 dodge ram 1500 5.9l gas.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Do you have power at port 16 on the connector?
Wildmen03
AG
Following, my local inspection place said the same thing with my F150.
Duncan Idaho
it pinned out. ground is fine. power is fine. checked the fuse, my code scaners worked fine

I got fed up and took it to another shop and agreed to let them charge me to diagonse it. They just called. "Sorry man, no clue. I even took it to another shop and they couldn't get it connect."

So **** me i guess
Dill-Ag13
AG
How's the battery? Maybe the bigger scanners need higher voltage? Doesn't make sense now that I'm writing it down but worth checking.
Martin Q. Blank
One of the pins that their connector uses, yours doesn't I'm guessing. Is there a pinout diagram somewhere that you could test each one?
Duncan Idaho
battery is fine. it is weird because 3 different shops haven't been able to get it to connect to the state inspection machine but 3 different shops (and me) have had their handhelds connect just fine.

BigNastyNate
AG
I had an issue with my Escalade where one shop couldn't get the inspection machine to connect... they checked fuses, etc.. but no luck.

Another shop down the road couldn't get their inspection machine to connect but told me the issue was a blown fuse.

I mentioned to the mechanic at the second shop that the first shop checked the fuses and thought they were fine. He mentioned there are two sets of fuses, in two different locations, that can impact the ability for the machine to connect or not. He thought the first shop checked the easy first location but not the second location.

May or may not be relevant to your situation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.