2021 Suburban

3,736 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Fife
dsvogel05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at upgrading from an Explorer to a new Suburban. I presume dealers aren't going to move much, if any, off the sticker price due to vehicle shortages. Does the Costco auto purchase program offer much discount? TIA
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Inventory is terrible right now so manufacturers and dealers are stingy.

You can roll the dice with Costco and see what happens.
milkman00
AG
Finding any GM large class SUV on the lot now is a surprise.

One Houston dealer had 3 total Tahoe/Subutbans on the lot this week when I passed thru. MSRP. Had one Ford salesman in Lampases say he heard of Austin dealers wanting $5000 over MSRP.

Expedition inventory is greater than GM. Same salesman said Ford is getting chips in all those units they have built but previously delayed. Rumor was Ford was waiting for GM to be out of vehicles before flooding the market with those Fords.

I question how accurate that guy was though.

Curious to see what Costco could do for you, but dont have high expectations due to such limited supply,

Disappointing thing about suburbans is that fuel economy hasn't changed any since late 80's. Sure, power and performance are better, but they have sunk all technology gains into performance while MPG remains constant.
ReloadAg
AG
We bought a new Odyssey and a new Pilot through the Costco program back in 2018 and were happy with the process and got a much better deal from it. We took the Costco price and then negotiated from there.

You can find the Costco price online and then compare to True Car prices.
mts6175
AG
I was told ordering one is not a problem for GMC right now, it takes about 8 weeks. Easier than finding one on a lot somewhere if you can wait.
Waterski02
AG
We've been shopping new and used, both Ford and GM, and everything is moving fast. Most GMs I see are "in transit" and sold before they hit the lot.

I think we're planning to sell our 04 Tahoe when school ends and try and take advantage of the crazy market, then wait until fall.
The toy jeep purchase a few years ago is looking better and better today.
dsvogel05
AG
I don't have high expectations for getting much off sticker, but I'd like something, even if it's "invoice". I'd prefer an expedition, but wife wants suburban or yukon xl, so happy wife happy life. Only thing is she hasn't driven a suburban, so there's a chance she doesn't like the way it drives.
Fairview
AG
Best bet right now is probably ordering one using Costco pricing. We did that on my wife's a few years ago when they had some additional incentives going and I guessing its probably the best way to get some off the price in this market. Also, with ordering you can eliminate paying for the stuff you don't want that may come with one on the lot.
milkman00
AG
What makes her want a Suburban over Expedition?
Waterski02
AG
Well, my wife has had 3 Tahoe's. Don't matter after that. Can't argue logic...
dsvogel05
AG
Mainly looks. GM moved to an independent rear suspension for the new models, so I'm interested in how they ride. Expedition ride quality has always been worse than than the GM, but I love the ecoboost. There's always a trade-off somewhere.
EOE
We have a 2017 Suburban and love it. My wife thought she would hate driving it but loves it. One thing to think about is how many and how old your kids are. The new expedition xl has all of their rear seats on their own chassis meaning they can slide back and forth and recline independently. We aren't getting out of our suburban any time soon but if I ever move to a job that doesn't have a company car, I will look at expedition.
zooguy96
My SIL ordered a Suburban 7 months ago. Never got it. Ended up finding one a state over and buying it. Paid over sticker price.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
555-PINF
There are two on the lot at Sterling in Navasota. There's a white LT 2wd for $65,370 and a gray Premier 2wd for $66,595. They're good looking vehicles, but holy crap! I started looking and Escalade ESVs are $100k, now. Sewell in Grapevine has one that's below 100k and a few all the way up to 118k!
Buck Turgidson
Low mileage used CPO Navigator with extended warranty is the way to go.
dsvogel05
AG
What does one of those run? I figured with the way used vehicle prices are, the gap between new and used isn't great so you might as well go new.
83AgCiti
AG
Ordered a Tahoe Z71 from Mac Haik a week ago. Was told 8 weeks but talked to 2 people who were told the same thing, and they came in within 3 weeks. Also know an engineer at the Arlington factory who said they've just recently been able to ramp up production, and the lead time should be decreasing. We'll see...

aggiegolfer07
AG
We had a deposit on a Yukon AT4 that was in transit. It came in and the dealer sold it before we could get there to pick it up. They said there was a mix up and they had already sold it to someone before me. We had a deposit on it for 5 days before it arrived. They also think I am an idiot and believe their story.
milkman00
AG
Which dealer?
aggiegolfer07
AG
Garlyn Shelton
lotsofhp
AG
I guess right now we should all just keep our money in the market and see if things come back down to earth at all. Seems like anything you want to buy right now is a total **** show.
dsvogel05
AG
Yeah, no one is willing to honor the Costco price. I qualify for GM supplier pricing and dealerships are not willing to honor that price either. Complete sh*t show.
AgsMnn
AG
My wife's suburban averages 20-23 on the highway.

I thought that was pretty good.
milkman00
AG
What year model? The sticker says 20 highway on new ones, which is what we got in our '88 suburban. If you get more than that, it's good news.

When we pass thru your area I always wonder what place is your's.
Rice and Fries
milkman00 said:

Fix Or Repair Daily

#chevyheavyforlife
AG
milkman00 said:

What year model? The sticker says 20 highway on new ones, which is what we got in our '88 suburban. If you get more than that, it's good news.

the 1988 Suburban was rated 11/15 by the EPA for a half ton 2wd. the 2021 Suburban with the 5.3 is rated 16/20 and the diesel is rated 21/27. You're exaggerating just a bit.
milkman00
AG
1939 said:

milkman00 said:

the 1988 Suburban was rated 11/15 by the EPA for a half ton 2wd. the 2021 Suburban with the 5.3 is rated 16/20 and the diesel is rated 21/27. You're exaggerating just a bit.
Gas Mileage of 1988 GMC Suburban (fueleconomy.gov) This says EPA was 11/17. Not as much exaggerating as you think based on this link, but it has been over a decade since Obama took it off our hands in cash for clunkers. I was within a Biden in margin of error.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Rice and Fries said:

milkman00 said:

Fix Or Repair Daily

#chevyheavyforlife

First. On. Race. Day.
The Fife
milkman00 said:

Gas Mileage of 1988 GMC Suburban (fueleconomy.gov) This says EPA was 11/17. Not as much exaggerating as you think based on this link, but it has been over a decade since Obama took it off our hands in cash for clunkers. I was within a Biden in margin of error.
F

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.