Car Buying Itch

3,416 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fairview
Texker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ever want to change cars just because?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Do you know what board this is?
K Bo
AG
Lol, yep. Yolo!
Complete Idiot
I've never not wanted to. It's a sickness.
Post removed:
by user
K Bo
AG
My dad used to change cars every year or so and paid cash. Once I was old enough to understand that likely wasn't the most economic decision I asked him about it. He basically said that everyone has their thing. If you want to, and can afford to do it, you should. He's a CPA and frugal as all get out, otherwise. I've definitely inherited that itch from him.
zooguy96
I used to be that way, but having a paid off vehicle is much more satisfying. Paying for a depreciating asset year after year just didn't do it for me.
Texker
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

I know. I'm typically a buy and hold. I'd really like to trade the '14 Volt but it makes ZERO sense to do so.
WildcatAg
AG
Texker said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

I know. I'm typically a buy and hold. I'd really like to trade the '14 Volt but it makes ZERO sense to do so.

Volt? It makes 100% sense.
Texker
AG
WildcatAg said:

Texker said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Volt? It makes 100% sense.
Yeah, it would seem that way but it's a solid car. Bought it as CPO in '16 and been trouble-free.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Do it. I buy used and replace every 3 years generally. Helps to justify it.
Post removed:
by user
Texker
AG
Really wanted to wait till the kid graduated from A&M next year. Last night's storm may have changed priorities with their car.
aggiespartan
AG
"Should we get the extended warranty on my car?"
"We both know you aren't going to have this car long enough for an extended warranty"
bam02
AG
I don't at all. I drive a 7 year old Tundra, though, so pretty sure that means I'm just not a "latest, greatest" kind of consumer.
lb3
AG
My car is over 16 years old. I'm hoping to keep it going another 6 when my house should be paid off. The AC is intermittent so it may be put to pasture when summer arrives if it takes more than a relay to fix.
91AggieLawyer
AG
bam02 said:

I don't at all. I drive a 7 year old Tundra, though, so pretty sure that means I'm just not a "latest, greatest" kind of consumer.

I don't either. I had 2 vehicles last decade that I kept less than 2 years each but the first, I wanted to change for a pickup and the pickup, I needed to change for a better highway vehicle (which I drive now). Everything else has been at least 6 years going back to the early '90s.

With that said, I'll probably look to getting back into a pickup or SUV this summer.
TXAGFAN
AG
Used to all the time, then I started traveling for work and rented a new car every week. I rented hundreds of cars of different makes/models from normal cars to luxury. A car is a car and always surprised me which ones I liked best, it definitely wasn't the most expensive ones.
BBRex
AG
bam02 said:

With a Tundra, you can just take it someplace good and have it washed and detailed, and it's just like a new one.
aad03
AG
I've got to sell one if I want another. Looking to sell my Bronco. 1994 XLT 5.0L 75k miles.

https://link.shutterfly.com/5SSmyJWTjfb
Class of '03
bkag9824
AG
aad03 said:

I've got to sell one if I want another. Looking to sell my Bronco. 1994 XLT 5.0L 75k miles.

How large a Brinks truck do I need to bring?
Complete Idiot
Cmon, no one is going to trade for a Brinks truck even if they are rare.
aad03
AG
If you're seriously interested, shoot me an email, username at yahoo.

I haven't really nailed down an asking price, as I go back and forth on selling or not. I just really want a 7.3 pickup, and I wouldn't have room for that and the Bronco. In the meantime, my wife thinks we should waste money on things like fixing broken pipes and busted up drywall. The nerve.
Class of '03
Dill-Ag13
AG
username checks out
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aad03 said:

Have seen and driven.

Super clean truck!
Flaith
AG
My 08 Jetta GLI is stage 2 with lots of great mods to make it a fun zip around DD. It has 125k miles on the original clutch (somehow). I paid $8k cash 4.5 years ago after I sold back my TDI. I do all my own maintenance and repairs, so it isn't a money pit, and I genuinely love driving it. It's probably worth half what I paid for it.

The only thing that keeps it in my driveway is knowing what I would want (mid-size RWD/AWD wagon, sportback, sedan with 350+ HP.. Stinger, S7, S5 Sportback, GS-F, G70, etc) comes with a $45,000 replacement cost and a car payment.
Complete Idiot
I like to find great deals on used cars and then try to sell them for what I paid after 2-3 years of use. I've been pretty successful in that goal, my problem is I do a lot of customizations that get expensive so saying "sold it for what I paid for it" kind of is lying to myself.

I even bought a brand new car off the lot and sold it for what I paid for it three years later, that is a story not many can tell.
texsn95
AG
I may be selling my 08 Acura TL with 159k soon, it was my spare car when I had an E60 M5 and was commuting ~100 miles / day to the Woodlands in 2018. I think I've only put ~1000 miles on it the past 2 years so I'm paying ~500/year in registration and insurance just to have it sit.
The Lost
The bronco sport has been calling my name, but my truck is almost paid off so it's stupid, it just looks fun.
Buck Turgidson
If it wasn't for financially undisciplined people parting with perfectly good vehicles prematurely, how would smarter people be able to get superior deals on low mileage used cars? They are providing a useful service for the market.
TriAg2010
AG
I still think of my six year old ride as the "new" car. I owned my first car for ten years, which felt like an eternity. It still feels like yesterday when I got this car. Aging is a time warp.
htxag09
AG
I have this itch but seeing prices for new cars cures that real quick
zooguy96
Yeah, new and used car prices are waaaay to high right now.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I like to find great deals on used cars and then try to sell them for what I paid after 2-3 years of use. I've been pretty successful in that goal, my problem is I do a lot of customizations that get expensive so saying "sold it for what I paid for it" kind of is lying to myself.

I even bought a brand new car off the lot and sold it for what I paid for it three years later, that is a story not many can tell.

So is that A6 TDI still around?
Old Sarge
AG
Wife and I are on the new vehicle every ten year plan, alternated so each gets a new vehicle every 10 years, but we get one every five so no double payments. We both tend to like similar 4wd SUV/Truck type vehicles so it satiates the thirst somewhat. Also, I am a nut kinda research guy when it comes to this and it takes me a couple years to narrow the next one down, and that helps.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.