Best locking lug nuts

1,854 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mr. Dubi
davidmargarita
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Came out our complex this morning to a handful of cars on either side of me sitting on cinderblocks. Plan on ordering a set of locking lug nuts to hopefully deter anything further. Is there anything I need to consider outside of the usual (size, color, etc.) when purchasing these? How successful do we think they'll be at preventing tire theft? TIA.
Silvy
AG
7 spline lug nuts, replace all lug nuts. Your typical locking lug nut is extremely easy to defeat. they're typically removed with a tapered socket and could be hammered on relatively quietly with a dead blow.

6 spline lug nuts all take a universal key and don't do much for security. 7 spline lug nuts will take a unique key and thieves would have to hammer a socket on for each lug.

Your best security would be undesirable wheels, a gate, and/or moving.
Complete Idiot
Are you a fan of Diehs Nuts?
txyaloo
AG
davidmargarita said:

Came out our complex this morning to a handful of cars in either side of me sitting on cinderblocks. Plan on ordering a set of locking lug nuts to hopefully deter anything further. Is there anything I need to consider outside of the usual (size, color, etc.) when purchasing these? How successful do we think they'll be at preventing tire theft? TIA.
You really aren't going to deter anything. Most auto parts stores sell socket kits for removing locking lugs or you can just hammer a socket on.

They're a bigger PITA when you have a flat and your lug's key shears off or you can't find it and you have to get a tow. After the 2nd time that happened to me, I removed the locking lugs from everything I own.
Naveronski
AG
Yep, agreed.
davidmargarita
AG
Great - thanks fellas. Sh*tty part is we just moved here a few weeks ago. Sounds like the best option is to hope these punks don't come back around. We'll see how property mgmt handles it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

Your best security would be undesirable wheels, a gate, and/or moving.
Bingo! However, I remember a couple of "crews" that hit CS when I was in college and they were mostly OEM wheels but had new/newer tires in common sizes. I worked on 3 cars at one apartment complex one Saturday.

Good luck but thieves suck!
The Fife
Newer tires in common sizes are probably why a coworker had the steelies on his Mitsubishi Galant stolen. He didn't even get cinderblocks, just a couple of bricks.
schmendeler
AG
you sure you need them? sounds like the market has spoken and your wheels aren't in demand.
555-PINF
I used the Gorilla locks with the outer sleeve that spins on my Avalanche back in the day when 20" Chevy wheels were a hit ticket item. I put 2 on each wheel opposite each other so it would be harder for someone to just snap the lug.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
LOL! Most of the time they just left bricks - I'm assuming because they're lighter and easier to steal. It can be hard to jack up a car when it is sitting on 4 bricks and the rotors.
bam02
AG
schmendeler said:

you sure you need them? sounds like the market has spoken and your wheels aren't in demand.

Lol!
davidmargarita
AG
schmendeler said:

Touche
Gilligan
AG
Late 80's early 90's It wasn't a foreign car, but it was small, had air dams and spoilers all around it. The wheels were like the corvettes where you can't rotate them. For the life of me I can't recall the make and model. The night my roommate brought it home from the dealership I was out first in the morning and had to go back in and tell him.

Bad Day!
Gilligan
AG
I've had taillights stolen from my pickup.

Thieves SUCK!
555-PINF
Dodge Stealth? Dodge Daytona?
Gilligan
AG
The Ghost of DUCK01 said:

Dodge Stealth? Dodge Daytona?
Honestly it reminded me more of a Honda CRX on steroids', but American.
The Wonderer
AG
davidmargarita said:

Came out our complex this morning to a handful of cars on either side of me sitting on cinderblocks. Plan on ordering a set of locking lug nuts to hopefully deter anything further. Is there anything I need to consider outside of the usual (size, color, etc.) when purchasing these? How successful do we think they'll be at preventing tire theft? TIA.
Your wheels were left, so they weren't wanted.

HTH
555-PINF
Eagle Talon?
Plymouth Laser?
zooguy96
Get married. Problem solved.
Goose
AG
I initially read the subject as Best Looking Lugnuts and I seriously thought, "Well that's it, we've completely run out of things to talk about here on the Auto Board."
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If youre not garaging it, get the 17 or 18s.
Timber08
I lived in an apartment that was getting hit every few weeks. I did have locking nuts but I think the more significant deterrent was parking on the end immediately next to the curb to make it more trouble than it was worth to get the wheels off. Just an idea?
MouthBQ98
AG
Low profile sidewalk tires on trucks are crap anyways. They take away some of your ability to exploit different tire pressures for different terrain.
Mr. Dubi
MouthBQ98 said:

Low profile sidewalk tires on trucks are crap anyways.
Fify. It's a truck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.