Vehicle detailing info?

2,362 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texsn95
BmtAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been considering having my vehicle detailed including ceramic coating. The professional detailers charge upwards of $1,000 for an suv.

Has anyone done this themselves. I can purchase all of the products on Amazon for around $200 and could detail multiple vehicles. Appears multiple steps including wash, claybar, polish, decontamination and lastly ceramic.
txcincinnatus
AG
If in Houston, Kelso is your answer. He did a great job on my car and would recommend

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3115670
Bob Kelso
AG
Yes. You take the usual steps for paint correction all the way up to sealant on the vehicle. Last step is applying the ceramic coat. I guess you've looked at CQuartz or something similar. You will need at least 50ml to cover the entire vehicle. It's not like wax, it will leave patches of "gloss" if not spread evenly. A little more time consuming than wax.
wargograw
Yes, super easy. Some of the prices out there are wild.
AgGrad99
AG
I typically detail my own car, and have been debating doing it to my truck as well.

But when it comes to paint correction and ceramic, I think I want someone who's done it 100 times, rather than me, who is a novice in comparison.
BmtAg96
AG
The quotes I got for full detail and ceramic coating were astronomical. Upwards of $2k. I've watched a few Youtube videos and it does not look too difficult. Just time consuming.

The one thing that has me confused is the number of different vehicle polish products on the market. I understand I need to do a compound polish followed by a finishing polish. After you do the ceramic coating, whatever condition your paint is is locked in.

Steps as I understand them:

1. Wash:
wheels followed by paint
foam cannon and rinse
hand wash and rinse

2. Iron remover
3. Clay bar
4. polish compound
5. finish polish
6. Alcohol rub
7. Ceramic coating
Fat Tony
AG
Anyone heard of these guys in Houston?

Good reviews.

https://www.vive-houston.com/
logano33
AG
I own a detailing business. If your car is newer and the paint is lightly swirled I'd recommend trying 3d One with buff n shine Uro pads. Get a few and clean them out every pass. If your paint is more neglected Meguairs 105 for your cutting compound and Meguiars 205 for your polish works well. I pair these with the meguairs mf pads. Also, Koch Chemie sells great compounds and polishes in a kit, I'd buy some Lake Country CCS pads if you go with them. If you have any other questions let me know
BmtAg96
AG
How do I know how aggressive a compound I need? The vehicle is a 2015 black Lexus suv. Paint is not bad but just needs to be refreshed. Can I damage the paint if I use the wrong compound?

Looking at this for compound.

menzerna M-400-8 Heavy Cut Compound, 8 fl. oz, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077M7BJHN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8J33H1M312CYEXKVWYPW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And this for polish

Sonax 2241410 (224141) Profiline Perfect Finish - 8.45 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKYBK0C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VQGHVH58ZXP1QB63C7WD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
91AggieLawyer
AG
What polisher do you have?

I would strongly recommend NOT using the Menzerna or Sonax products. It isn't that they're bad products but you likely don't need them and you should always start out moving from least aggressive to more aggressive. Besides, at least in terms of Menzerna, they are pretty expensive. The 3D One polish is a good suggestion. From there, if you need more, Meguiars D300 line of polishes or Griots BOSS line would be better than the others mentioned. Both are easier to work with and would perform just as well in my opinion.

Chances are, on a 2015 Lexus, you won't need a compound as a one-step (compound/polish) will do. Get a small bottle of 3D One and see how that does. I'd bet money you'll like the results.

Be careful using a "finish polish" as it might have a sealant or wax in there. You never want to mix a protection product (wax, sealant, coating, etc.) with a like product of a different kind. ISP wipe may not remove all iof the polishing oils. I would recommend you find a wax remover like Duplic-Color, anyway.

Start out with Purple Power Vehicle and Boat Wash from Walmart. That's what I use on all my washes. Its high pH will remove most waxes and clean the car better. There are also "strip" wash products, but they are more expensive. I still have some Meguiars Wash Plus that I use both as a wash and as a clay lube, but they don't make it anymore unfortunately.
BmtAg96
AG
This is my polisher

Avid Power Buffer Polisher,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JDK8JVN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
logano33
AG
Those are both great products! Start with the polish and see if you like the correction on it, if not move to the compound. You always want to start with the least aggressive method when correcting a vehicle. Use a good flashlight to see the swirls.
TSJ
AG
So I just bought the HF rupes knock-off and have no clue where to begin. I would wash cars but nothing more than clay bar so this is new territory for me as well. Any good recommendations appreciated. I want to take care of a 2019 wrx, but I don't think it should need much in correction, right?
AgGrad99
AG
Where are you located
logano33
AG
A little south of Dallas
texsn95
AG
logano33 said:

I own a detailing business. If your car is newer and the paint is lightly swirled I'd recommend trying 3d One with buff n shine Uro pads. Get a few and clean them out every pass. If your paint is more neglected Meguairs 105 for your cutting compound and Meguiars 205 for your polish works well. I pair these with the meguairs mf pads. Also, Koch Chemie sells great compounds and polishes in a kit, I'd buy some Lake Country CCS pads if you go with them. If you have any other questions let me know
That's my combo with the Porter Cable XP7424, with the 105 / 205 and the Lake Country CCS pads. With some Klasse or Blackfire topcoat. The 205 is some great stuff, long working time and easy to wipe off the excess. 105 on the other hand takes more practice. My current DD is Frozen Silver so it's kind of nice not having to always find new scratches and swirls to buff out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.