Old accident but newer article - 4200 lost vehicles

2,196 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by third coast..
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35877638/golden-ray-final-voyage/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media&src=socialflowFBCAD&utm_campaign=socialflowFBCD&fbclid=IwAR1Rp6A75N4Hk8qGs8usEFKmBzd2slha8XSx0AEQTHBB3BayjtHxifEHZAY

Not sure how I didn't hear about this before. Pretty wild to read about and luckily everyone made it out safely. Can't imagine what those engineers were experiencing before being rescued after 36 hours. Also a quote from an Aggie in there.
Naveronski
Madman
Picard
AG
And Texas Direct Auto was able to sell every one of those vehicles
555-PINF
From the comments:
Quote:

I'm sure there was an enterprising scuba diver cutting out catalytic converters while the salvage was going on.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Naveronski
AG
How so? Wouldn't imagine much "rotting". Was it just the chemicals?
Mr. Dubi
I guess this could be why there is a premium on Tellurides?
Silvy
AG
Imagine the smell of thousands of soaked interiors.

It'll be interesting to see what they determine the cause was and if the relatively new environmental regulations played a factor in the capsizing.
Naveronski
AG
Oh. Yeah. Gross.
agdaddy04
AG
silverado_lover said:

Imagine the smell of thousands of soaked interiors.

It'll be interesting to see what they determine the cause was and if the relatively new environmental regulations played a factor in the capsizing.
From the article they're blaming it on how they loaded it. Apparently when they made the stop out there, they unloaded some compact cars and then loaded SUV's in their place.
Gilligan
AG
The ship had also discharged 1645 tons of ballast water en route from Freeport, and combined with an underloaded deck 5, the addition of the Tellurides raised the ship's center of gravity to a dangerous height.

The hull door was left open as well.

Amazing the effort that's gone into scrapping that behemoth.
Chrundle the Great
AG
https://jalopnik.com/a-chain-just-cut-through-a-capsized-cargo-ship-filled-w-1845784581

Here's more of an engineering perspective on the VB 10,000 and the work that goes into the salvage. Pretty fascinating stuff thinking of a ship being sliced like bread with a giant chain.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Silvy
AG
Gilligan said:

The ship had also discharged 1645 tons of ballast water

This is mostly what I was getting at. One of the newer environmental regulations is the use of a ballast water treatment system. Without too much knowledge on it, a quick Google shows that within 200nm, a ballast water treatment system must be used if discharging ballast.

The ship may have discharged those 1645t of ballast in anticipation of cargo loading further in the port rotation and to then meet the draft requirements for the voyage. Due to the regulation, vessel's need to have a good understanding of the cargo to be loaded and the intended voyage well in advance of cargo operations. To make it even sweeter, the cargo volumes loading onto ships are constantly changing and it's extremely rare for a vessel to delay it's voyage due to lack of cargo availability.

In the end, it's the vessel's officers responsibility to ensure the ship is properly loaded and that the ship is in good order for the upcoming voyage.
Post removed:
by user
Silvy
AG
Having a piece of cargo 10t off wasn't too uncommon when I was loading ships damn near every weekend.
Aggietaco
AG
Thanks for the Jalopnik link. The cutting operation was fascinating and there wasn't enough detail in the OP article.
ABATTBQ11
AG
This explains the physics of cargo loading and how ships behave based on their mass distribution really well. Interesting story too, but the explanation is around 1:20.

JAW3336
AG
That is interesting, thanks for posting.

I am glad I am not in charge of building, loading and running ships. They would all be at the bottom of the ocean.
Post removed:
by user
rebag00
AG
There were a few Aggies involved, as I remember. I left this response and my job at the end of September 2019, so I didn't stick around for all this action. It was an interesting "site."

At the time, if you'd told the folks in the UC that the salvage op would still be going in April 2021, they would have laughed at you, but down the hall with P&I Group, they would have fired you.
ABATTBQ11
AG
third coast.. said:

JAW3336 said:

That is interesting, thanks for posting.

I am glad I am not in charge of building, loading and running ships. They would all be at the bottom of the ocean.
maybe ill finally get a little respect around this here website

Keep dreaming
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.