2021 F150: 3.5 Boost or V8?

4,467 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BigRobSA
Bitter Old Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which should I go with? Average use, some towing, but nothing serious.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Drive both. See which one you like the best.

I actually really like the 2.7L Ecoboost quite a lot.
TMfrisco
AG
You'll get lots of responses to this.

I had a '13 3.5 I bought because I had a fairly heavy boat to tow - not huge, but 7k-8k pounds loaded. Loved it for towing and highway driving.

Bought a '19. Don't have to tow the boat much anymore, but still bought another 3.5 because that was what I was used to. People really love the 2.7 now, but I (perhaps in my imagination) could feel a little hesitation on highway acceleration as compared to the 3.5.

Plenty of people love the V8, but I think both the V6s are better.

I believe the 2.7 will tow most anything you need without trouble - you may not like the mileage, but if you don't tow much it won't be an issue. Most people love it for its all around performance and mileage.
lazuras_dc
AG
v8
reproag
AG
Drove a Boost XLT this weekend. That thing is quick, a lot quicker the the Boost in my '16. Got the traction control light to come on a few times gunning in on HWY 290. Haven't driven the V8 over the weekend yet.
Picard
AG
I've been on the fence for years. My F150 has the Coyote V8 and the wife's Expedition has the 3.5L EcoBoost V6.

No longer on the fence though because Ford put cylinder deactivation in the 2021 Coyote V8. Oh hell no! I'd rather replace turbos in the V6 vs. replacing the entire V8 engine due to lack of lubrication on the deactivated cylinders. My next F150 will have the V6 EcoBoost.
Buck Turgidson
Booooost!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Cylinder deactivation? My coyote already does that. I'm having to pay a lot extra to get rid of that feature.
tk for tu juan
One interesting thing about the 2.7 vs 5.0 is they have the same peak torque, but the 2.7's peak occurs 1000rpm sooner than the 5.0, making it quicker off the line with the same gearing. The 5.0 can get 3.73 gears as an option to help
vansprinkle
AG
tk for tu juan said:

One interesting thing about the 2.7 vs 5.0 is they have the same peak torque, but the 2.7's peak occurs 1000rpm sooner than the 5.0, making it quicker off the line with the same gearing. The 5.0 can get 3.73 gears as an option to help

Or go 3.5 with 3.73s.
tk for tu juan
The only 3.5 with 3.73s is the powerboost hybrid. The optional gear of the regular 3.5 boost is 3.55, but with 500 lb-ft it is still the obvious choice for converted Mustang drivers
tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan said:

The only 3.5 with 3.73s is the powerboost hybrid. The optional gear of the regular 3.5 boost is 3.55, but with 500 lb-ft it is still the obvious choice for converted Mustang drivers
Guess I was wrong, the 3.73s are available for the 3.5 if you are getting the long bed. I had only built the short bed layout in the build/price tool so it wouldn't let me select the 3.73.
aggieforester05
AG
The 5.0 is wasted without a tune to let it rev to it's happy place. I love that motor but it really needs boost to help with low end torque in a heavy truck. With boost and a tune it's a beast.
Yesterday
AG
Few engines sound better than a Ford 5.0. My favorite part of the day was firing up my old coyote F150.

That said I'd go boost. It's getting harder to justify the larger displacement. If Ford would boost the 5.0 that would be killer.
jwright4288
AG
5.0 cause a v6, turbo or no, is gae. 3.5 is probably better if you don't mind pansy sound
fooz
Drive the 5.0 first, then the 3.5. It was a night and day difference when I bought my 19.

Only reason I would go with the 5.0 is if I wanted to put exhaust on it.
CStewTAMU
AG
V8 if you plan on keeping beyond the warranty.

Turbos are expensive. They won't last the life of the vehicle. They put greater stresses on the internal engine components. They operate at very high temperatures, are lubricated by engine oil, and can spin faster than a centrifuge that enriches uranium. They don't get better fuel economy unless you drive it like Grandma Moses. The exhaust sounds like a continuous fart. You can't beat physics.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
150K and one throttle body and 2 sets of spark plugs (changed proactively) on my 3.5... I won't buy another engine unless it's a diesel. Towing is a freaking dream and I am too old to give a crap about exhaust noise anymore.

#hatersgonnahate
YourFavAggie
AG
CStewTAMU said:

V8 if you plan on keeping beyond the warranty.

Turbos are expensive. They won't last the life of the vehicle. They put greater stresses on the internal engine components. They operate at very high temperatures, are lubricated by engine oil, and can spin faster than a centrifuge that enriches uranium. They don't get better fuel economy unless you drive it like Grandma Moses. The exhaust sounds like a continuous fart. You can't beat physics.
The cylinder deactivation on the 2021+ V8's has a lot of people questioning if you can compare to the reliability of V8s without them
Eyes of texas Crying
Bitter Old Man
AG
I decided to go with the 3.5 boost. Honestly, what sold me was the cylinder deactivation. I had this on an old GMC Yukon, and I hated it.
aggieforester05
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

I decided to go with the 3.5 boost. Honestly, what sold me was the cylinder deactivation. I had this on an old GMC Yukon, and I hated it.
I have it on my 2020 Silverado 6.2L and it isn't noticeable at all. Wouldn't even know it if it wasn't disclosed.

My 2020 Challenger 392 has it as well and it's very noticeable. The car vibrates and the engine note changes when in 4 cylinder mode. There's also a noticeable power bump when 8 cylinder mode kicks back in.

Haven't driven the 5.0L with it yet, maybe Ford has it down as good as Chevy.

The auto start stop on the 6.2L is super annoying and completely pointless though.
Yesterday
AG
Have it on my wife's Tahoe. I never notice it but I've heard it causes issues after a while.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The wife's expy max has the boost and I hate the start stop feature. Luckily there is a easy button on the dash
CactusThomas
AG
There's no replacement for displacement.
aggieforester05
AG
Yesterday said:

Have it on my wife's Tahoe. I never notice it but I've heard it causes issues after a while.

Supposedly it was changed for 2019 and they claim it won't cause problems anymore. Only time will tell.
aggieforester05
AG
CactusThomas said:

There's no replacement for displacement.

Damn straight, I'd swap out my 6.2L for a Texas Speed LT 427 if I had an extra $16K to blow.
Bigfootisreal
Have a 5 v8 and love it in a 2017. Thinking about trading in 1-2 years. Any input on the new hybrid???
easttexasaggie04
AG
I hated my 2012 F-150 V8. It felt very underpowered. But I'm guessing they've made lots of huge improvements in almost 10 years.
aggieforester05
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I hated my 2012 F-150 V8. It felt very underpowered. But I'm guessing they've made lots of huge improvements in almost 10 years.
Yes, that generation F150 5.0L was a dog compared to the Gen 2 and Gen 3 motors. Huge improvements have been made.
idAg09
aggieforester05 said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Yes, that generation F150 5.0L was a dog compared to the Gen 2 and Gen 3 motors. Huge improvements have been made.

But which one more reliable after 100k miles? Heard of issues from the newer generation ones but plenty new models have their issues
aggieforester05
AG
I don't really know for sure, but I'd go Gen 1 or 2 for reliability. 2 had better connecting rods. My Gen 2 had 52K miles at roughly 700hp when I totaled it. Was very reliable.

Gen 3 has no steel cylinder sleeve and many had oil consumption issues. I guess new ones are Gen 4 and have cylinder deactivation, so the jury is still out. Both Gen 3 and four have direct fuel injection, which can be expensive to repair.
BigRobSA
Boosted 6.2, best of both worlds.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.