Elo GPS on new GMC Truck

4,227 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 14TheRoad
Bullpen Chias
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dealer telling me it's a required purchase. Seems like it should be optional. Anyone have insight on this?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
F No.

Its an F&I Profit generator.

Quote:

Our value added Elo GPS Stolen Vehicle Recovery and Driver Monitoring System provides CDS dealer partners a significant profit center by providing a simple consumer add on sale at the POS. Our system can transform your inventory management cost into a growing profit center that can add hundreds of profit dollars to each sale and improve customer retention

Jack Cheese
AG
Cool, the dealer gets a lot locator device/service that you purchase for him!
lb3
AG
Could it be required as part of their financing terms so they can repo your vehicle easier if you miss a payment?
ILikeTacos
AG
If it's required by that dealer then I would go to a different dealer.
ILikeTacos
AG
lb3 said:

Could it be required as part of their financing terms so they can repo your vehicle easier if you miss a payment?

Bullpen Chias
AG
Appreciate the feedback - very helpful!
sts7049
AG
lol, required
AG
Onstar already has GPS, this a complete scam.
hunterjr81
Yea I remember dealing with that when I bought my new truck a couple years ago. I told them I don't want it. They said it comes with it. I said I don't want it and take it out. They said they couldn't take it out. I told them I guess it's free or I'm not buying the vehicle. They removed the charge for it after that.

I despise buying from a dealer as the games they play pisses me off all the time. Having purchased 10 vehicles through the years I want to say I've seen it all but I know there will be a new scheme next time. I love the first part of negotiation where they ask me what monthly payment I want to be at. I always tell them I don't care what that is. What's the price out the door and show me the breakdown.
akaggie05
AG
I always warn people about the second sales job in the financing office, assuming you end up in there. I usually roll in with my own financing, and if they can beat the rate, sure, I'll go through them.

Add-on warranties, maintenance plans, extra paint coatings, VIN etching. And there is never an "opt out" option on the paper or computer screen that everything is happening on.

Plus, the show they put on when you politely decline the stuff is a sight to see. "Oh, you don't like to have protection on your vehicles... well... ok... just thought you might want to protect your investment here... " *awkward worried frown emerges
Aggieangler93
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Dealer telling me it's a required purchase. Seems like it should be optional. Anyone have insight on this?
Lots of dealers try this crap. Go to an honest one, and you won't have anything required except a document fee and some tax. As soon as you walk on the deal, the shady dealers will suddenly tell you they can knock half the price off, and then they will call the next day and take it all off, if they want to sell it. I told them I was willing to pay that price without it yesterday. Today I am offering $1000 less for my time. They offer the lowest price on the internet because they then add $4K worth of accessories (most are bogus and at most it's 750 worth of product if you get anything) not listed on the online ad.

Don't pay for anything that is:
1. what you don't want.
2. what is not on the vehicle. (A Chevy dealership in Killeen tried to sell me a Silverado that didn't have steps or a bedliner, but it was damn sure on the sales sheet.)
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
mrm5932
AG
Just tell them you arent paying for it. Usually they will take the cost off and you still have it. Just wild to me they push that when onstar can do practically the same thing.

They tried to add it in a bundle on my silverado and I told them no Im not paying for it and they took the cost out of the deal and still installed it.
Jack Cheese
AG
My guess is the dealer installs these on all vehicles when they arrive off the transport. They use it as a location device while the vehicle is in their inventory.

Then they pass the cost on to the buyer and sell it as a safety / anti theft feature.

Onstar doesn't work as a location device for the dealer while the car is in stock.

The end consumer is just an afterthought in this scheme.
PearlandAg09
AG
Had what I thought was an out the door deal on an at4 this afternoon at a Houston dealership, then added on the ELO to the sales sheet.

Told them I didn't want it and remove the charge. Wouldn't budge. Ultimately ended up being the deal breaker.
14TheRoad
AG
That sucks to lose a deal over that but I'm with you, that would piss me off enough to walk away. The bad part is that those trucks are going so quickly they can afford to let you walk because someone else is going to buy it before the week is over and pay for the ELO.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.