Question regarding Ford Engine

1,510 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Silvy
gibby03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First of all, I am VERY dumb when it comes to trucks and engines etc. I'm a features guy, which may not sit well with some of you. Haha.

Anyway, looking at buying a 2018 F-250 King Ranch with a 6.7L Powerstroke. I assumed while looking at it that it would be a 10 speed transmission because I thought those came out in the 2018's but after doing some research I see this one is a 6 speed automatic.

I guess my question is, is there a huge difference? I understand the less shifting of gears and that's about it. I have the carfax, I have that info but converting all that data into what is a good truck in terms of reliability and such is where I fail.

Big price tag so I want to know I'm getting something that will last. I could provide the VIN if that would help.

I apologize in advance for being dumb for all you hear heads out there.
Dill-Ag13
AG
This board will tell you, rightfully so, to avoid the 6.7 diesel and get the 7.3(?) new gasser instead
gibby03
AG
Are there problems with it?
Dill-Ag13
AG
The 6.7? Modern diesels in general are strangled to meet emissions and overworked to hit some torque-bro contest number. If you're talking reliability I'd avoid the diesel.
gibby03
AG
Well damn. I always was under the impression that diesel, while more up front are more reliable and last longer. I'm telling y'all I'm dumb when it comes to this stuff which is why I'm trying to learn.
Silvy
AG
Generally speaking, more gears allows for a greater mechanical advantage rather than just making more power. This is why you see the shift of newer 1/2 ton trucks going to a relatively low (numerically) axle ratio.

A truck with a 4.70 1st gear ratio and 3.73 rear end and a final drive ratio of 17.531. A truck with a 3.06 first gear and 3.73 rear end has a final drive ratio of 11.414.

And yes, 7.3 > 6.7.
BurnetAggie99
Get the 6.7 do the delete kit and Good tuner.
JSKolache
AG
Thats a whole helluva lotta truck for guy who doesnt know much about trucks. Look at the 150 class trucks. You dont need a 3/4 ton diesel unless you get paid to tow stuff.
JB
AG
The 6.7 is good motor. Ford has got it figured out for the most part on this engine, as do Chevy and Ram when it comes to the emissions stuff. I wouldn't buy an early yr. I would avoid a 11-12 6.7.

I have a 2016 6 speed 6.7 and it has given me very few issues in 70k miles. Pulls great. No deletes. Just works

falcon09
AG
I'm pretty sure the 10-speed didn't come out until 2020 in the Super Duties. The 10 speed allows the engine to be in the best RPM for what you're asking of it. High gear/ low RPM for economy or lower gear/higher RPM for power. I've heard good things about the Ford 10-speeds being smooth shifting and not feeling like they're always hunting for a gear

While I don't think modern diesels necessarily stressed too far to make numbers or overly choked by emissions, (the '18 still made 900+ ft-lbs!) I do think that the diesels are overkill for most F-250 owners.

If you're not towing a 10k+ pound trailer on a weekly basis, a 7.3 (or even a 6.2) is going to be just fine for pretty much anything you can throw at it. It'll probably be pretty even economically in the long run when you factor in the cost of diesel, DEF and maintenance. Definitely cheaper up front.
JamesPShelley
Hold out for the 26 speed.
El_duderino
Since you're dumb when it comes to trucks and are just after features, why not a luxury car or suv instead?
BlackLab
AG
Get what you want, even if you don't need a diesel.
gibby03
AG
So here's the deal, I will be hauling a 37 foot travel trailer 4-6 times a year, at least, and I'm afraid the F-150 or smaller truck isn't enough to pull it. I KNOW it says it has that towing capacity but It's a 9700 Lb trailer and that's at the top end of the towing capacity for the 150.

That's the issue I'm in right now. When I say I don't know much about trucks I'm not saying I don't know how to drive a truck and a trailer. I'm saying I am not a gear head and know all the inner workings of good engines and potential issues.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.
El_duderino
5th wheel or bumper pull?
milkman00
AG
Have a friend with a 20 F150 that hated the shifting of the 10 speed In town until he paid $500 for what he called a transmission tune.

Supposedly Ford knows about the issue and nothing can be done by dealer besides adding this tune they recommended.
gibby03
AG
Bumper. 5th wheel could be an option in the next 5 years or so.
milkman00
AG
Are you planning trips across the country, or only short trips to local state parks?
mAgnoliAg
AG
gibby03 said:

37 ft bumper pull?
gibby03
AG
90% of the time local. But I'm sure there will be some times across country. I don't want to be stuck at a red light in Branson Missouri with a steep incline and have to get it moving with a truck barely able to pull the weight. Admittedly that's not a normal use but when I need it, I need it. Hence by dilemma.
milkman00
AG
I would have some of the guys who own newer 7.3s chime in here. Any newer diesel might have issues, and they can be costly to fix, but the reward is easy towing in your case. But my 7.3 experience via a 2002 F250 won't help you.
TSW2012
AG
I tow gooseneck often with my gas 2500 15k+lbs. the fuel economy is worse than with diesel but still 10mpg flat highway. Modern gas has power of the old diesels everyone loves. Fuel tank will last longer than your wife's bladder, get the diesel because it's more fun but you cannot make a operating cost argument for the diesel.
gibby03
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

gibby03 said:

37 ft bumper pull?
OK. So I need to clarify some stuff. I was trying to have this conversation through my Father in Law. I should've known he talks in extremes. The trailer that I will be pulling right now, with bigger trailers down the road an option, is a 2017 ASPEN M-2790BHS with a trailer weight 6500 and a carrying capacity of 3200 pounds meaning the TOTAL GVWR is 9700. I am thinking the F-150 is plenty big enough to pull that.

2017 Aspen M-2790BHS Specs

SO, forgetting the trailer pulling aspect, the question is still the same. Is that original engine I shared a good engine without many issues? Sorry for all the confusion.
El_duderino
I'd probably go HD gasser due to the length of the trailer. That's 32' and about the size of my Rv. I tow with a 6.2 f250 and can feel it when the wind is blowing which is everyday here in Texas.
gibby03
AG
Thanks El Duderino.

Let me pivot for a second. What do you guys think about the GMC Sierra 1500 but with the AT4 Package. Has a 2 inch lift with a towing capacity of 9400 lbs and 420 HP with a 6.2L V8 engine.

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra/1500/at4

Would that even come close to pulling the trailer I'm talking about or would it move all over the place? Just trying to compare.
BurnetAggie99
You giving up a lot of going to a gasser even the bigger motor gasser.. Buy what you want man the 6.7 diesel will make it a lot easier to pull the 5th wheel, you won't even know it's back there and be a lot safer in my opinion. I have a deleted 2017 F250 6.7 Platinum 4x4 with Easy Link tuner.

I use it for the ranch, pull our cattle and horse trailers, haul show steer feed by the ton along with hay for the ranch cattle & horses, pull my RV as well. It's also my daily driver for work.

Also do the delete kit and get a tuner which helps gets the government BS off and eliminates the need for DEF.

I do all my oil changes myself saves money. I use Shell Rotella T6 5W-synthetic heavy duty diesel oil and only the bigger upgraded WIX XP 57151 Oil Filter. I also changed my own fuel filters.

I add some Power Services fuel treatment in every fill up keeps things well lubricated plus some other benefits.
gibby03
AG
Thanks for the response.
milkman00
AG
Wouldn't it be great if dealers had test trailers where you could hook up for a test drive pulling something of similar weight to what you own prior to forking over $50000+ dollars?

But then they wouldn't get the trades of people who bought the wrong vehicle for themselves the first time.

Hell, what about an app that would tell you how it would compare to each of the prior iterations (Gen 1, 2, 3 Cummins, etc).
Silvy
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

You giving up a lot of going to a gasser even the bigger motor gasser..

Things like time in the shop
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.