Rochester Quadrajet video

965 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Maximus_Meridius
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most people hate these things, and a handful of people are loyal to them. Found this video via a Facebook group...

Rexter
Quadrajunk
Silvy
AG
87IE
AG
Rexter said:

Quadrajunk

Definitely a love hate relationship. I loved taking one off of a Small Block but hated putting one back on.
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
Stat Monitor Repairman
This is what I love about modern times. Theres a youtube video about every conceivable thing.

Wanna see some redneck jumping a Buick LaSabre? boom ... you got it.

BrazosDog02
AG
I never had trouble with the quadrajet on my Olds 455 but I didn't have any trouble with the edelbrock 850 either when I took the Rochester off.
Burdizzo
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

This is what I love about modern times. Theres a youtube video about every conceivable thing.

Wanna see some redneck jumping a Buick LaSabre? boom ... you got it.

Probably a Rochester 2BBL
TxSquarebody
I learned a few tricks from an old man that could really build a quadrajet. I do ok with one, but nothing like some of the wizards. Unfortunately, most of that knowledge is dying.
Burdizzo
AG
TxSquarebody said:

I learned a few tricks from an old man that could really build a quadrajet. I do ok with one, but nothing like some of the wizards. Unfortunately, most of that knowledge is dying.

There used to be a legendary guy Cliff who had a whole business dedicated to Q-Jets. He even did road shows where he would put on clinics and tune people's carbs. He has pretty much shut down, but there is a guy in Waring, TX near Comfort who has pretty much anything you need for a QJet. I think he has a warehouse full of variants for any make, model, year, or application you need.
chimpanzee
Burdizzo said:

TxSquarebody said:

There used to be a legendary guy Cliff who had a whole business dedicated to Q-Jets. He even did road shows where he would put on clinics and tune people's carbs. He has pretty much shut down, but there is a guy in Waring, TX near Comfort who has pretty much anything you need for a QJet. I think he has a warehouse full of variants for any make, model, year, or application you need.

Cliff Ruggles right? He was really helpful, had a library of long very complete write-ups that he would email to anyone that asked. If you read any of them, you realized why everyone hated Q-jets. If you knew what you were doing, had an infinite supply of metering rods (some of which no one makes any more), could measure vacuum under load and had the time to pull and disassemble/reassemble the carb and distributor between multiple rounds of tests and timing adjustments, you could get a Q-jet to run really well for a little while before having to do it again. Basically, for less effort than what was required to do that correctly once and maybe an extra $500, you could have an EFI system that does it better continuously and automatically forever.

Sean Murphy (SMI Carbs, or somesuch) is still doing work, I think. I have one of his 800 cfm Q-jets on the 428 in my Trans Am, and it does fine after it clears it's throat, bogs, pops and then starts dumping the fuel. Cold idle isn't really a thing either. I ended up going that route myself through a rather unlucky sequence of uncovering automotive *******y inflicted on my car by the prior owner. If I keep it and get back to working on it, I'll go with a Holley Sniper unit, or convert the damned thing to an electric motor based on my timeline.

Burdizzo
AG
chimpanzee said:

Burdizzo said:

TxSquarebody said:

Cliff Ruggles right? He was really helpful, had a library of long very complete write-ups that he would email to anyone that asked. If you read any of them, you realized why everyone hated Q-jets. If you knew what you were doing, had an infinite supply of metering rods (some of which no one makes any more), could measure vacuum under load and had the time to pull and disassemble/reassemble the carb and distributor between multiple rounds of tests and timing adjustments, you could get a Q-jet to run really well for a little while before having to do it again. Basically, for less effort than what was required to do that correctly once and maybe an extra $500, you could have an EFI system that does it better continuously and automatically forever.

Sean Murphy (SMI Carbs, or somesuch) is still doing work, I think. I have one of his 800 cfm Q-jets on the 428 in my Trans Am, and it does fine after it clears it's throat, bogs, pops and then starts dumping the fuel. Cold idle isn't really a thing either. I ended up going that route myself through a rather unlucky sequence of uncovering automotive *******y inflicted on my car by the prior owner. If I keep it and get back to working on it, I'll go with a Holley Sniper unit, or convert the damned thing to an electric motor based on my timeline.

I think that was the guy. The guy I dealt with at Waring is named Mark Northcutt. I paid him to rebuild my carb rather than put yet another O'Reilly's kit in it. I wanted to keep mine original, but I get what people junk these things. I have yet to put it back on the car because I need to replace the rusty fuel tank (the reason I needed to rebuild the carb in the first place).
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Count me in with the fans. It's very finicky, but almost infinitely adjustable. And when they're set right, they just freaking work.

Got a 468 running a Qjet (from Jet Performance), and a 350 running a FAST EZ-EFI system. Dad's about ready to rip the EFI off and throw on a Q-jet because the EFI system has been contankerous as hell. The Q-jet just runs, no fussing at all. Been that way for a few years now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.