Towing a camper

1,035 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ogre09
Mmetag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and i are looking at renting a camper to take the kids on spring break this year. Towing capacity on the Tahoe is 8,100 pounds. What is kind of the rule of thumb on max weight? I know it can technically pull it but it's not always the best idea to. Tahoe does have a trailer brake installed. Any general advice is appreciated.
08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
Get a popup/hybrid unless you want to be stopping for fuel every 200 miles
JB
AG
You will be fine with anything around that weight. WD hitch is a plus, but if this is a one time deal and you aren't going to far. you should be ok. I'd be looking at bumper pulls under say 26'
Chewy
AG
How far and where you're wanting to pull is the big question. Top speed matters. Trailer brakes will be a big issue as well.

Running 75 down an interstate for 5 hours as opposed to 60-65 on state highways for a couple hours will dramatically change what you want to pull.
Mmetag10
AG
Updated my towing info. We're planning to go to big bend and carlsbad from college station.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Even with a WD hitch, sway bars, and a brake controller, I don't think you could pay me to haul a 26ft bumper pull from CS to Big Bend then onto Carlsbad behind a Tahoe.

BTW, that's a heck of a lot of windshield time for SB.
Chewy
AG
If you're going that far spend the extra money for a Class C to Class A unit rather than trailer. You can technically pull what you want with your Tahoe but you'll be miserable. By the time you get where you're going you'll be exhausted and can't enjoy where you are.

Now, if you're someone that never drives above 60 on an Interstate, doesn't signal, never checks mirrors, and drives with hazards on in the rain then you'll be fine. You can ignore the advice on here and have an "enjoyable" trip.

EDIT - if you can get away with a single axle Airstream then go for that. However, if you're wanting anything with double axles I think you're gonna stress yourself out going that far. Your family will get bored going that far and annoy you while you're highly stressed out.
Ogre09
AG
Definitely do the motorhome instead. Makes the trip much more enjoyable.
Teslag
AG
The problem with the Tahoe isn't the capacities or power, it's the short wheel base. You will get whipped on the road and it sucks.

On the other hand Americans tend to be far too conservative with tow capacities. In Europe you will regularly see mid size travel trailers being towed by sedans. Even in the Alps.
Yesterday
AG
If you decide on the class C or A make sure and tow a vehicle with you. It sucks setting up camp and then having to unhook everything, put the slides in, clean up for travel only to go an hour into the park and then resetting up when you return. And most travelers I talk to with drivable RV's say the ride and having the slides in makes the room and relaxation a moot point.

West Texas in spring is windy as all get out. We towed a 26' travel trailer to Big Bend last spring break with my F250 and was still moved around quite a bit in that wind. You're basically pulling an aluminum sail behind you so the weight isn't the issue at 8000 pounds it's that trailer wagging the dog.

All that said my family of 5 in a four door F250 had a blast. Stopped in Monahans for one night(which is what a ton of RV'ers did) and then down to Big Bend. Kids loved the Sand Dunes more than Big Bend but they're also 7 and under.

Lastly I would book real soon. Spots are almost assuredly filled up inside the park. We camped at Stiwell Store and RV park which is about 8 miles from the North East gate. Very friendly people and there will probably be college kids out there. They didn't party as they were doing Geology stuff. And be prepared to drive no matter where you Camp. That park is absolutely humongous.

Mmetag10
AG
Thanks for the advice
MouthBQ98
AG
Get something around 5000lb empty or a bit lighter, use a sway control and weight distribution hitch, and you'll have no problems. A 5000lb empty weight trailer can be quite large, 20-25 feet depending on how lightly built. Don't over load it, and it'll still come in around 6000lb. You'll definitely know it is back there, but you can tow it fine. We have a 23' trailer that's about 5000lb empty and maybe Max 6500 loaded and our old 2004 suburban pulled it around just fine, but Max comfortable highway speed was about 65-70, and we did get about 10mpg roughly. Pulled that trailer up and over the pass in Great Smoky Mts NP a few times, and that's tougher than anything in Big Bend or up towards Carlsbad.
Ogre09
AG
For that many hours driving, having the wife and kids have the dinette, couch, bed, kitchen, and bathroom available while rolling makes the trip much easier.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.