Tire discussion...

2,292 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Getting ready to replace tires on my odyssey.

I'm curious about folks experience with what I guess we could call 'off brand' tires such as Westlake, Nankang, Mesa, sentury, etc.

Versus the name brands - Mich, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Pirelli, etc.

I will say that I have owned a couple of vehicles with OEM Michelin's and was not overly impressed with what they would cost to replace.

Silvy
AG
I trust them for burnouts
Complete Idiot
I feel tires are a safety item. I assume this minivan is used to transport family members.

I would not go cheap unless forced to.

robertcope
I put Michelins on everything I own that isn't a track car.
3rd Platoon
AG
Stick to Michelin or Bridgestone products.
Grown Pear
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I feel tires are a safety item. I assume this minivan is used to transport family members.

I would not go cheap unless forced to.

Username does not check out bc these are the best words of wisdom I've read on TexAgs ever.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Those brands are great if you're selling.

Discount tires does have private
Label arizonian, Yoko YK740, Pirelli Cinturato models that are all exclusive to them that are priced reasonably.

Cheap tires are false economy.

Also OE tires may have the same model name and ratings but are made to the OEM car manufacturer spec. Not the tire manufacturer spec. That's why some OE tires
Last 15-20K miles and then it leaves a sour
Taste in your mouth.
14TheRoad
AG
A couple of things, first and foremost, like a poster mentioned above tires are safety equipment. If this is for a minivan I can only assume your family is riding in it. Personally that's not where I'd choose to cheap out and save money.

As far as replacing tires go I always replace tires before needed and don't try to get every mile out of a tire. I knew someone that tried to push the limit on getting the max life out of a set of tires. His daughter was killed in a car crash after her car hydroplaned. Simply not worth the money when talking about loved ones safety.

Lastly, if you're in a minivan I'm guessing there are kids involved. Better tires will be quieter, if I've got a van full of kids talking over road noise I want that road noise to be as low as possible.
Macarthur
All solid points.
JSKolache
AG
Yokos are a good option
Macarthur
I ended up getting some Bridgestone Turanza's.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Macarthur said:

I ended up getting some Bridgestone Turanza's.
Which ones? There's some real ****ty ones and really good ones.
Macarthur
EL440
tk for tu juan
I have four 305/30 19 Pilot Sport Cup 2s sitting in the garage if you want a lot of mechanical grip (just do not drive in the rain)
Complete Idiot
I should have mentioned Tirerack.com is a good resource when researching tires, good ratings system for users as well as professional reviews for many tires.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Macarthur said:

EL440

Bro. You bought a tire without a treadlife warranty?
crowman2010
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Macarthur said:

EL440

Bro. You bought a tire without a treadlife warranty?
Willie Lane
So what are some tire recommendations for an Odyssey (235/60/r18) ? Car drives ~10-12k miles a year.

My wife had a blowout this weekend. Tire was OEM (turanza el440) with ~31k miles on them. Trying to figure out if I want to replace in pairs or replace all 4.
Macarthur
Willie Lane said:

So what are some tire recommendations for an Odyssey (235/60/r18) ? Car drives ~10-12k miles a year.

My wife had a blowout this weekend. Tire was OEM (turanza el440) with ~31k miles on them. Trying to figure out if I want to replace in pairs or replace all 4.

I went with Turanza's but the others I narrowed it down to were Toyo Q/T and General Altimax
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Willie Lane said:

I would recommend something like YK740GTX, CS5 Ultra Touring, Discoverer HTP, etc. Theyre all in the 140-170 dollar range.

The Michelin Defender T+H is a great tire, rides nice and performs supreme in the rain and wet, and priced around 200 bucks each, but at 10K/year, the tires will dry rot before you get all the miles out of them. If you're ok with that, its worth a look.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Yukon came with a set of bridgestone dueler h/l alenza p285/45r22. 34k mi on them and they need to be replaced. No complain on these except for the tread life. Any recommendations on a good replacement that doesn't sacrifice performance / tread life for aesthetics?
ReloadAg
AG
We just put a set of 70,000 mile Michelins from Costco on our Odyssey and love them so far. Yes they're more expensive but I trust their safety and they're quiet and we'll get close to 70,000 miles out of them.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I went through 2 sets of Yoko Avid Acends then now Yk740 2 days ago. My experience with Yokos vs Michelin is Yokos last longer. But your experience may vary.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Yukon came with a set of bridgestone dueler h/l alenza p285/45r22. 34k mi on them and they need to be replaced. No complain on these except for the tread life. Any recommendations on a good replacement that doesn't sacrifice performance / tread life for aesthetics?
OEM ALenzas are different than aftermarket replacement.

That being said its also on the cheaper end of the spectrum on the replacement side.
I'd also look at the Yokohama YK-HTX (60K warranty) , Dueler LT-H (70K warranty) (both Discount tire exclusives) but the Defender LTX is the champion, but also almost 160 bucks more PER TIRE than the Alenzas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.