New tires and now steering feels loose

1,105 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgsWin2011
AgsWin2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got some new tires on my truck and now my steering feels loose/light (steering wheel turns easily). I definitely have to be more careful and hold the steering wheel a little tighter.

What is causing this? Just me not being use to the new tires and it being a smoother ride? I got the same size tires and drove the previous tires for nearly 50k miles.

It just worries me cause it almost feels like my truck glides/slides side to side when driving.

Do I need a realignment or tires may not be balanced properly?
George08
AG
We're the old tires worn unevenly?
Picard
AG
Uh, are the lug nuts tight?

ccolley68
AG
Did you go from stock street tires to big knobbies? The bigger tires and treads sometimes have that feel early on
mm98
AG
Nm
AgsWin2011
AG
Yes the lug nuts are on tight. I had all terrain tires before. The new ones are all terrain as well. The guy changing my tires said it looked like my old ones wore a little unevenly and I may want to get a realignment. The newer tires are a little more aggressive. They're the same size, but a different brand and look slightly narrower to me. Maybe I'll give it another week or two to break them in.
CanyonAg77
AG
Have you checked the pressure? I assume that over-inflation would cause that feel. And tire shops like to air up to max pressure, even when not needed.
AgsWin2011
AG
This guy said to keep the PSI between 50-60 cold. The tire says 80 max. All of the above seems high. I want to say I ran closer to 40-45 in the tires before.
Bob Kelso
AG
Maybe they weigh significantly less even though they're the same size as another brand.

Could the be the rating? C vs E rating of tire has different weight for a BFG KO2 as an example... and that is the same brand of tire.

CanyonAg77
AG
Heismenberg said:

This guy said to keep the PSI between 50-60 cold. The tire says 80 max. All of the above seems high. I want to say I ran closer to 40-45 in the tires before.
80 is max for load carrying. I'd be fine with 45, myself, if they are load range E, and light load.

Even at max load, my pickup says 80 in the back but only 50 in the front.

Again, he may have said 50-60, but I'd check, in case they forgot.
BrazosDog02
AG
Id day there is nothing wrong. I've noticed this on new tires. As stated, if you have large tread blocks, they will feel like you describe. Also, some tires have more sidewall roll than others. I think this is what you're feeling and I've never had the issue remain forever.
MaroonDontRun
AG
I would definitely get the alignment checked.

I had an occasion on a TA one time where a dealership installed Eagle Gatorbacks on my car and I had the same sensation of light steering. Unfortunately for me I didn't have the alignment checked and within 6 months is wore through to the belts on the very inside edge of one of the tires (making it not very visible).

I'm not sure how the dealership knocked my alignment out by changing tires but that is what happened.
AgsWin2011
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

I would definitely get the alignment checked.

I had an occasion on a TA one time where a dealership installed Eagle Gatorbacks on my car and I had the same sensation of light steering. Unfortunately for me I didn't have the alignment checked and within 6 months is wore through to the belts on the very inside edge of one of the tires (making it not very visible).

I'm not sure how the dealership knocked my alignment out by changing tires but that is what happened.

Planning on doing this soon. Anyone have recommendations on places for realignment in College Station?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Superior in Bryan
not Mansel
SCHTICK00
AG
Don't worry. They'll tighten up and you get used to it quickly. Been there many times
AgsWin2011
AG
I went ahead and paid $80 for a realignment. I could tell a difference as soon as I drove out of there. Everything feels normal again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.