Recent New Vehicle Test Drive Thoughts

1,859 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by crowman2010
crowman2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I'm buying a new truck in the next couple weeks (adding to the stable, not trading in for those that know me).

Here's what I've come up with so far:

2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5L Power Boost $58k
Pros: Great interior redesign, new screens are awesome, the Powerboost is superb
Cons: Seats weren't as comfortable as previous years, Suspension seemed stiff

2020 RAM 2500 Lariat 6.7L Cummins $64k
Pros: Interior is phenomenal, the power from the diesel is great, customized gauges are a plus
Cons: RAM desperately needs a new transmission (8 or 10 speed), seats were stiff as hell, suspension wasn't broken in, very stiff riding.

2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 - 6.2L $54k
Pros: Great throttle response, simplified interior features (with buttons), best ventilated seats IMO, suspension and drivability are great. The seats in this one are the "Denali" version, so they are very comfortable. Speakers in the tailgate!
Cons: Shift points of the 10-speed needs some help, interior "style" needs an update.

If I had to choose right now, I'm going with the AT4. Its the smoothest riding out of the 3 I've driven thus far, and I honestly like the exterior styling over the other two. That 6.2L is bad-a$$!
14TheRoad
AG
Just replaced a 2019 RAM 4x4 Laramie for a 2021 GMC AT4 with 3.0 Duramax after having to have my transmission replaced on the RAM at 52K miles.

I liked the RAM but lost confidence in it after needing a new transmission 8k before the warranty ran out. Felt like i dodged a bullet there and didn't wish to push my luck any further. They did a really good job on the interior on the RAM, nothing really bad to say about it other than that the AC didn't seem to blow as cold as i would have liked.

That being said, the GMC seems better put together, drives great and with the duramax i'm averaging 23.5 mpg in mixed driving. I only have 3k miles on the GMC but i really like it a lot, more than i ever liked the RAM. Also, i really like the multi-pro tailgate. I thought it was kind of gimmicky before i got it but after having/using it some it's a game changer!
Grown Pear
AG
Those are all three very different trucks that suit different needs. What are you looking for using this truck for?

Daily driver? Parking garages? Off roading? Work truck? Hauling? Towing?
HollywoodBQ
AG
I drove the Ford, Chevy and Ram in 2019.
Personal preference, I'd take the Ford.
Can't deal with the rotary transmission dial in the Ram.
The Chevy was just orthopaedic (to use language popular with my kids).
I really like the Ford Sync system.
HumbleAg04
AG
Hope they fixed the cam phaser issues w/ the 3.5 boost in the '21s.

Bright side I didn't have to pay for oil changes as they kept opening it up every 7k miles.

The AT4 is nice but I found the dash really high with poor backseat visibility which would result in my car sick prone kid to try to redecorate the interior.
crowman2010
AG
Grown Pear said:

Those are all three very different trucks that suit different needs. What are you looking for using this truck for?

I didn't say that I had a specific need. I guess my wants are:

- It needs to be comfortable
- fun/easy to drive
- have great off-road capability
- be able to tow a 12ft trailer with an ATV (Mule) on it
robertcope
Does it have to be a pickup? Maybe something like a Discovery would be more suited for your needs?
FIDO*98*
AG
Why 2 half tons and 3/4 in the Ram? I just got a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited and absolutely love it so far. Ford was a close second, but, the rental car level interior of the AT4 was enough to send me out of the dealership before I even got to the test drive
The Fife
3/4 ton seems like a lot of truck to pull around a load that light. I'd expect anything would be able to handle it.
crowman2010
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Why 2 half tons and 3/4 in the Ram? I just got a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited and absolutely love it so far. Ford was a close second, but, the rental car level interior of the AT4 was enough to send me out of the dealership before I even got to the test drive
Honestly, I don't like the look of the 1500 Limited. It looks "soft" X-D
cledus6150
AG
Where did you find a AT4 with the 6.2 for $54K?
AustinCountyAg
as an owner of an AT4 who looked at similar vehicles this time last year I do not regret my decision. Yes the AT4 interior is somewhat basic looking, but the technology is still there and up to par with all over the other brands and it looks the best IMO.

also, the 6.2 is amazing smooth and the truck drives great. I have to constantly check my speed because I very quickly start creeping up close to 90 on the highway without knowing it because the truck is so smooth and the engine is working so easily.
AustinCountyAg
I bought mine last year out the door price for 56k.
crowman2010
AG
cledus6150 said:

Where did you find a AT4 with the 6.2 for $54K?
Can't say...don't want you to steal my possible deal
Flaith
AG
Yeah, this is a pretty epileptic list. My guess is you just chose the trim level of each brand that you like the most? Otherwise, it makes no sense to cross shop these three trucks.

Of these, I would probably go AT4 with the 6.2L unless you do some camping/remote contracting work to justify the power generator.

I love Ram diesels, but I can't get behind them until they upgrade their transmissions. Everyone I know who owns one has complained about the hard shifting and limited gears.
cledus6150
AG
Yeah that appears to be the best price for the 6.2 I have seen lately, as I have been looking for one at that price!
Grown Pear
AG
crowman2010 said:

Grown Pear said:

I didn't say that I had a specific need. I guess my wants are:

- It needs to be comfortable
- fun/easy to drive
- have great off-road capability
- be able to tow a 12ft trailer with an ATV (Mule) on it
Thanks. Nice thing about not really having specific "needs" you can just focus on "wants"... which brings me to my unprofessional thoughts for each truck

Comfort is in the eye of the beholder so you'll know this better than anyone. As for towing, each truck is more than capable to handle that ATV/trailer combo. Each should have more than adequate trailering options too and honestly don't think you would need any of the 'advanced' self-back up, cameras, etc unless you want them.

2021 F-150 - I'd personally go for the King Ranch edition b/c I love the things (either 3.0L Powerstroke or 3.5 PowerBoost). You specified Lariat, is that due to options/price you're looking at? The upper trim levels might give you more of the comfort you're looking for but at the same time sometimes not, the 'lower' trim levels could have more comfy seats while not looking as sleek and modern. Obviously the PowerBoost engine is new and I don't have any experience with it but when you talk about fun/easy to drive I bet that thing let's you know you have power to spare. Additional fun feature is the on board generator or whatever it's called.

2020 RAM 2500 - complete overkill as far as what you'd use the truck for BUT who the heck cares right? Of the 3 this would be the toughest to drive and park. Personally I have no need for a 3/4 ton truck but I do have a significant 'want' for one so I feel you on this one! My only experience with a newer Ram 2500 was at last year's Houston auto show going through an obstacle course. The Ram isn't my cup of tea (more GM Ford guy here) but even I was impressed with what they did with this truck. I love that diesel sound and would have a ton of fun driving this vehicle - but more people would get absolutely sick of the size and parking, etc.

2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 - Pretty damn good truck here, and I agree I think these look great. It's not a true off-road truck if you're really wanting something like that (look at the F150 Raptor). The Raptor has almost $10K of suspension upgrades where as the At4 has a $1,200 2" front strut lift and rear lift block. It gets you the look you want not necessarily the performance. With that said the AT4 and quite frankly the others will be more than capable for what most of us throw at the truck off road. But you did say great off-road capability and you can't beat the Raptor for that. This Sierra/Silverado is a great truck, I have a '20 Silverado with the 3.0L Duramax and love it. The 6.2L will probably be more fun for you, more of a sporty quick truck. The 6.2L paired with the 10-speed transmission is a phenomenal combination.

One thing I'll say about the Sierra is I believe these 1500's are supposed to get the interior refreshed next model year (not sure about exterior). But something for you to take a quick look at before buying. If I'm not thrilled by the new designs, I love buying the last model year of the "old" version because dealers want to get those off the lot and can often get bigger discounts on them. Something to think about.
crowman2010
AG
Grown Pear said:

2020 RAM 2500 - complete overkill as far as what you'd use the truck for BUT who the heck cares right? Of the 3 this would be the toughest to drive and park. Personally I have no need for a 3/4 ton truck but I do have a significant 'want' for one so I feel you on this one! My only experience with a newer Ram 2500 was at last year's Houston auto show going through an obstacle course. The Ram isn't my cup of tea (more GM Ford guy here) but even I was impressed with what they did with this truck. I love that diesel sound and would have a ton of fun driving this vehicle - but more people would get absolutely sick of the size and parking, etc.

Psh...you don't even hear the engine anymore
schmendeler
AG
Flaith said:

Yeah, this is a pretty epileptic list. My guess is you just chose the trim level of each brand that you like the most? Otherwise, it makes no sense to cross shop these three trucks.

Of these, I would probably go AT4 with the 6.2L unless you do some camping/remote contracting work to justify the power generator.

I love Ram diesels, but I can't get behind them until they upgrade their transmissions. Everyone I know who owns one has complained about the hard shifting and limited gears.
is it going to give you a seizure?
Cromagnum
AG
Eminus6 said:

Just replaced a 2019 RAM 4x4 Laramie for a 2021 GMC AT4 with 3.0 Duramax after having to have my transmission replaced on the RAM at 52K miles.

I liked the RAM but lost confidence in it after needing a new transmission 8k before the warranty ran out. Felt like i dodged a bullet there and didn't wish to push my luck any further. They did a really good job on the interior on the RAM, nothing really bad to say about it other than that the AC didn't seem to blow as cold as i would have liked.

That being said, the GMC seems better put together, drives great and with the duramax i'm averaging 23.5 mpg in mixed driving. I only have 3k miles on the GMC but i really like it a lot, more than i ever liked the RAM. Also, i really like the multi-pro tailgate. I thought it was kind of gimmicky before i got it but after having/using it some it's a game changer!

I recently got a 2021 Ram 1500 and the AC blows ice cold in mine. Will see how it does in 100 degree Houston summers in a few months.
WildcatAg
AG
Buying a 3/4 diesel to pull a 12-ft trailer skips right past bro and lands you squarely in brochaco with a decent shot at broseph if you play the window stickers right. Plus you will become one of those people that lies for no good reason about fuel economy.

F150 is super quick but "meh V8"

The AT4 looks cool and the engine is nice. But the truck randomly has steps all over it, the tires are loud, and the transforming tailgate is stupid.

Buy one of the half-tons.
crowman2010
AG
WildcatAg said:

Buying a 3/4 diesel to pull a 12-ft trailer skips right past bro and lands you squarely in brochaco with a decent shot at broseph if you play the window stickers right. Plus you will become one of those people that lies for no good reason about fuel economy.

F150 is super quick but "meh V8"

The AT4 looks cool and the engine is nice. But the truck randomly has steps all over it, the tires are loud, and the transforming tailgate is stupid.

Buy one of the half-tons.
Well...when momma says "I want the big diesel"...none of the brosef stuff matters
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.