What would you buy? 2500 gas v 1500 diesel

1,926 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by El_duderino
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need a new truck.

I've narrowed it down to the Chevy/GMC 2500 gasser or 1500 diesel. They are essentially the same price in the options I'm looking at.

I tow a small boat often and may end up with a small camper in the future. Almost all my miles are highway miles.

Will keep a very long time. Current truck is at 210k and I would keep it if it was 4wd.

Love the simplicity of the big v8.
No diesel emission crap
Bigger bed
More stabile towing
More ground clearance
Worse mpg
Won't fit in garage
A bit large to drive around town.

Better mpg
Diesel low end torque
Will fit in the garage, kind of a big deal in Dallas.
10 speed transmission
Wish I could get a standard bed but they are rare
Much harder for me to work on by myself.

Silvy
AG
1500 w/ 6.2
harge57
AG
silverado_lover said:

1500 w/ 6.2

6.2 seems to be about a $8k premium, 6.2 is mainly in higher trims.
TSW2012
AG
2500. I got the gasser coming out of a diesel super duty, and am super happy.

Simplicity of the engine was top of the list of reasons to switch. Coming from an Hd fuel economy didn't really come into play as it's similar cost per mile. That may change with 1500 vs 2500. I will tell you the extra few inches in the new short bed 2500 really makes the new short bed more useful compared to older ones.
TSW2012
AG
silverado_lover said:

1500 w/ 6.2

No variable displacement on 6.6

Also 6.6 is bigger than 6.2 and thus better
TxAg20
AG
What are you driving now? How well does your current truck pull your boat? What size camper are you looking at?

I've never owned a 1/2 ton diesel, but I have owned a few 1/2 ton gas and 3/4 ton gas and diesels. If a 1500 meets your needs, I would stick with a 1500. Unless you tow enough to appreciate diesel torque, I would go with gas. Diesel is almost always more expensive. There are less diesel pumps. Diesel pumps are usually nasty. DEF is like having to refill your washer fluid at mostly inconvenient times. Diesel maintenance is more expensive. Diesel exhaust stinks. You're almost certain to have some 4-figure emissions issues if you put >200K miles on a modern diesel. If you tow often/heavy enough, diesel is absolutely worth it. If you don't tow, diesel is not worth the inconvenience, in my opinion.

I also really value parking in the garage. Park outside for a few nights and see if being able to park in the garage is important to you.
aggieforester05
AG
harge57 said:

silverado_lover said:

1500 w/ 6.2

6.2 seems to be about a $8k premium, 6.2 is mainly in higher trims.

I have a 6.2L in my RST. They're few and far between, but they're out there. Plenty of torque for a half ton.
CanyonAg77
AG
Depends on how much heavy towing you do.

If you're often going to pull a heavy, tall, trailer against the wind, or in the mountains, or at 75mph, diesel all day and twice on Sunday.

If it's only occasional, a boat, or a small RV, and you don't care if you go fast, and you likely won't be trying to climb mountain passes at 10,000 feet, where your engine is at only 70% of rated power, stick with gas.

The diesel is going to get mileage in the high teens, pretty much regardless of what you pull. The gas will get good mileage empty, and horrible mileage when towing hard.

That being said, you can buy a lot of gasoline with the difference in purchase price and operating price between a diesel and a gas engine.

As an aside, I much prefer a 3/4 ton of any kind for towing, as opposed to a 1/2 ton. The higher capacity and bigger brakes are a huge benefit.

I will also disagree with the availability of diesel, at least in my part of the world. It's everywhere, maybe because we are farm/ranch country. But I also see it down I-40. And a tank full of diesel will carry you a whole lot further than the same size tank in a gasser.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Diesel is almost always more expensive.
If it's 20% higher, but you're getting 30% better mileage, diesel is still cheaper.
TSW2012
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Depends on how much heavy towing you do.

If you're often going to pull a heavy, tall, trailer against the wind, or in the mountains, or at 75mph, diesel all day and twice on Sunday.

If it's only occasional, a boat, or a small RV, and you don't care if you go fast, and you likely won't be trying to climb mountain passes at 10,000 feet, where your engine is at only 70% of rated power, stick with gas.

The diesel is going to get mileage in the high teens, pretty much regardless of what you pull. The gas will get good mileage empty, and horrible mileage when towing hard.

That being said, you can buy a lot of gasoline with the difference in purchase price and operating price between a diesel and a gas engine.

As an aside, I much prefer a 3/4 ton of any kind for towing, as opposed to a 1/2 ton. The higher capacity and bigger brakes are a huge benefit.

I will also disagree with the availability of diesel, at least in my part of the world. It's everywhere, maybe because we are farm/ranch country. But I also see it down I-40. And a tank full of diesel will carry you a whole lot further than the same size tank in a gasser.

Comparing small half ton diesel to 3/4 gas may not yield the towing fuel economy you think. I have towed my Deere 450k on a gooseneck and got 9-10mpg on flat highway with the gas. I got 12 with my deleted F350.
TxAg20
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

The diesel is going to get mileage in the high teens, pretty much regardless of what you pull.

This is false.
Grown Pear
AG
Daily driver, fit in your garage, shines on the highway, and will rock towing the little bit that you do (assuming you're towing less than 9k lbs yes?)...

I have the 3.0 Duramax and it sounds like the ideal vehicle for what you're wanting.
kyledr04
AG
I'm going 2500 gas next time. Was very tempted last week when I saw a perfect one.
Towns03
AG
DEF
BMF_AG95
AG
Almost a month with my 2020 F250. Love the truck! Engine and 10 speed transmission are great. Previous truck was f150. First diesel so still new to the maintenance side since only have 2500 miles on it.

Within first week pulled cattle trailer, went 4wd to deer blind then took it took duck hunting on day 9 of having the truck. Just got back from a trophy hunt to Eden, Texas. Drove great. Yes parking garages can be tough. Had to get a reserved spot in downtown Houston for the office. Worth it.
El_duderino
If you plan on keeping the 3.0 duramax a long time, have fun replacing the oil pump belt at 150k miles. You have to pull the transmission to get to it. I'd go 3/4 ton gas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.