Early 2000s Tundra

1,545 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Civil04
Charlie Murphy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Been looking at getting a truck for bumping around and I've found a few 2004-2006 Tundras in the 150k-200k mileage range. I've read some good reviews about these models but wanted to get thoughts from the pros on TA.
JB
AG
Should have the 4.7 V8 which is a very reliable motor

Those 1rst gen Tundras are good trucks. Very basic. Pretty much a Camry with a truck bed.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
I have a 2006 with the V6 and it has about 270K on it. Only major repairs were rear axle seals and an alternator. Other than that it's been brakes, tires, batteries and that kind of stuff. It is not real flashy but it has been a solid, dependable ride.
Coin
I had an 05 double cab 4x4 until July when I bought a LX470.
The Tundra was a great truck. I loved it. The rear axles seals were a problem on mine, and it had some driveline vibration that I never got sorted out. I sold it with 270K on it, and it still looked and ran great. If you like a more muscle in your V8 sound track look up BAMuffler. I put the quietest one he makes on my truck and it sounded fantastic. It sounded like a tuned sports car, nothing like a flowmaster, etc.

Incidentally, I bought it with 120K on it for $10,500 and sold it with 270K seven years later for $9,750.
Gotta love Toyota resale values.
D&C 2002
AG
I had a 2006 double cab 4x4 Tundra and it was just ok for me. No issues whatsoever and I agree that the 4.7L is generally regarded as bullet proof. However, it was under powered and the move to the bigger motor in the next design was much needed for a "full size" truck. I had it for 4 years and put 120K miles on it with absolutely no issues, as to be expected with Toyota. Keep in mind that you will have a timing belt to deal with on that 4.7L which will likely need to be changed with the mileage range you're looking at.

The interior was very basic and the seats sit more car like than truck. Also, visibility out of the back is limited. Its like they took a tacoma and just scaled it up a bit. Good for light duty but not as capable or comfortable as the next gen or a F150, IMO
Furlock Bones
AG
D&C 2002 said:

I had a 2006 double cab 4x4 Tundra and it was just ok for me. No issues whatsoever and I agree that the 4.7L is generally regarded as bullet proof. However, it was under powered and the move to the bigger motor in the next design was much needed for a "full size" truck. I had it for 4 years and put 120K miles on it with absolutely no issues, as to be expected with Toyota. Keep in mind that you will have a timing belt to deal with on that 4.7L which will likely need to be changed with the mileage range you're looking at.

The interior was very basic and the seats sit more car like than truck. Also, visibility out of the back is limited. Its like they took a tacoma and just scaled it up a bit. Good for light duty but not as capable or comfortable as the next gen or a F150, IMO

Close. They took the T100 and scaled it up.
MTTANK
AG
I've been looking for a 1st gen extended cab 4x4 Tundra for about a year now. Tough to find one that's not worn out for a fair price.
GIG 'EM
shiftyandquick
I have a 2003 with 60k miles. Engine still works.
Bird Poo
AG
Looking for a mid 2000's Tundra up here in Dallas for my Aggie freshman. Will be his first vehicle that he will buy on his own. His budget is 10K.

Can anyone recommend the best way to shop for these? Craigslist? Hoping for something around 150-175K miles.

Flaith
AG
Curious to see how long this one lasts at this price

2006 Tundra 4x4
Civil04
AG
If your son is already in College Station, tell him to swing by Lock n Roll storage by Sam's Club. Folks park vehicles there for sale. There's current a 2000 Tundra for $12k. I think it had right at 160,000 miles and looked really clean.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.