Insurance Question

1,508 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AtlAg05
stamper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got rear ended today while sitting still at a red light. Looks like my bumper will need to be replaced. Miraculously the guy that hit me appears to have insurance. Should I file through my company or his?
pnut02
AG
I think the general consensus is file on your insurance and have them go after the other individual's insurance.
watty
AG
file through their insurance.
ccolley68
AG
Start the process through theirs. If it's a big name (geico, progressive, etc) it should be fine. If it's Fred Loya or The General, or something like that, or the first moment you start feel like you are getting f-Ed over by theirs, then go ahead and get yours involved and let them fight it for you. For reference, my wife's new (to us) ride got totaled a few months ago. Other driver had geico, and they were great all the way through until the damages to ours and the other driver he hits vehicles got too high. No fault of theirs, he just didn't have the limits, so we had to get our insurance involved and they took it from their. But had the driver who caused the accident had the limit, everything would have been fine just dealing straight with his insurer.
stamper
AG
Thanks- the other driver has USAA so maybe i'll be ok.
Picard
AG
stamper said:

Sure. Unless you also have USAA.

CapeAggie89
AG
I have had USAA for over 30 years, been good when I have claims, though it has been awhile.

Had a guy run into me recently, his fault, he had Amica. Great experience, they took care of everything and made it right. Never had to get my insurance involved.
ccolley68
AG
stamper said:

You should definitely be good filing through theirs. USAA gets a bad name from time to time, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second as the victim in a crash with a USAA driver
Animal
AG
DO NOT use their preferred body shop. Find an independent shop who will work for YOU not for them.

This is the biggest scam going in my opinion right now.

Their shop wants to get it fixed as cheaply as possibly for them.
AtlAg05
AG
Have them look for frame damage. I had a similar incident where I was at a light and rear-ended. Frame was slightly bent along with needing a new bumper.

At least your guy had insurance, lady that hit me had no insurance and no DL, arrested at the scene.

Edit. I had to pay my uninsured motorist deductible but my insurance company ended up getting something from the driver and I had it refunded in full.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.