Light truck, basic SUV, high gas mileage want opinions

1,455 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ShouldastayedataTm
ShouldastayedataTm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Started a new gig that will be a lot of time on the road between client homes. Looking for an affordable, higher gas mileage light truck or SUV with manual transmission. I am a bigger guy, but do fit comfortably in a Tacoma, which is all I have tried on for size so far. Though had a Kia Soul for a rental many times in the old gig and fit in it as well. Recommendations?
SnowboardAg
AG
Have you tried the Chevy Colorado diesel? My buddy has one and he really likes it!
Naveronski
AG
Tacoma and T4R's are both awesome trucks and will last forever, but what you save on maintenance you'll spend on gas.

ShouldastayedataTm
Had not thought about diesel as it will be mainly short trips between homes and the starting and stopping frequency. How are diesels these days given all the new environmental regs? Worth the extra maintenance costs?
SnowboardAg
AG
Not sure on your questions regarding diesels - probably better for a few folks on this board to answer that. Maybe check the maintenance schedule and what's required? There's a number of YouTube videos on the review of the truck - I would consider one if I was looking mid size truck and I had a taco before. The taco is IMO uncomfortable for long distances and frequent driving. Loved the reliability but hated the ride.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'll getting my VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen for sale in the next couple weeks. Dual Clutch, not manual, though. Can get 40+ mpg highway, generally get low 30s in stop and go. ~65-70 cubic feet of cargo area with back seats folded down. Has 85k miles, warranty on turbo, engine, and emissions until 120k miles. No emissions testing in Texas. Completely optioned out. Pano sunroof, navigation, heated seats, keyless entry and push button start (both really rare to find in this for some reason.) I took out the Nav system to put in an Android Auto/Apple Carplay system that looks stock, but it would be easy to swap back.
Old Sarge
AG
I'm a bigger guy also. Bought a Tacoma, put some seatjackers from Desert Does It on the front of the seats and it is the most comfortable truck I have driven.
Green is the new RED.
ShouldastayedataTm
Guitarsoup said:

I'll getting my VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen for sale in the next couple weeks. Dual Clutch, not manual, though. Can get 40+ mpg highway, generally get low 30s in stop and go. ~65-70 cubic feet of cargo area with back seats folded down. Has 85k miles, warranty on turbo, engine, and emissions until 120k miles. No emissions testing in Texas. Completely optioned out. Pano sunroof, navigation, heated seats, keyless entry and push button start (both really rare to find in this for some reason.) I took out the Nav system to put in an Android Auto/Apple Carplay system that looks stock, but it would be easy to swap back.

Interesting, what kind of price are you going to be putting on it?
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm not that far, but it would be 10k or less.

White exterior, black interior. Also has the roof racks but they can be removed easily. Have a rear view camera that I never installed, too.

I also added a couple of USB charge points in the front seat and the back seat has a 110v 2-prong plug you can use to power a laptop.

All rims have road rash from owners prior to the buyback and the back corner of the rear window tint has some ugly bubbles in one corner that I can't see when I drive, so I didn't fix it.
Hagen95
AG
Sounds like a great starter car for my kids. Can you hang on to it for another 2 years, please.
sts7049
AG
you probably should start by listing which trucks you can buy with a manual trans. i dont think there are many.
kb2001
AG
sts7049 said:

you probably should start by listing which trucks you can buy with a manual trans. i dont think there are many.

This. There aren't many left. I believe Tacoma is the only truck left that offers a manual transmission.
ShouldastayedataTm
Tacoma and frontier both do, but that is it. Not much for SUVs either. So finding that is not as big a deal as the affordable, reliable, and good gas mileage.
Tim Weaver
Why a truck? Is there a job related reason to have a truck?

I feel like a broken record, but the Honda Fit is an amazing vehicle. If you are putting down a lot of miles the Fit could conceivably pay for itself in fuel savings in about 2 years. They are easy to find in manual, and they are a blast to drive.

Plus they actually have a ton of room inside.
ShouldastayedataTm
Doeant have to be a truck, small SUV works as well. Being a bigger man, I need extra room inside, particularly head room. Trucks are my first option because I use the bed a lot on my 3/4 ton for various things, many of which I could do with better gas mileage in a smaller truck, but it would not pull my camper. Now that i am in need of a second vehicle that gets good gas mileage for a new job, figure kill two birds with one stone and go small truck. But an SUV would work as well as they tend to have more interior room. Not familiar with the Fit, but if it is anything like a Prius or similar not interested.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Very limited if you need a handshaker.

FWIW, I added a Ford Fusion Hybrid to my fleet a few months ago.
43mpg is great and is large enough to seat 4 adults reasonably, but its just me 98% of the time.
Tim Weaver
ShouldastayedataTm said:

Doeant have to be a truck, small SUV works as well. Being a bigger man, I need extra room inside, particularly head room. Trucks are my first option because I use the bed a lot on my 3/4 ton for various things, many of which I could do with better gas mileage in a smaller truck, but it would not pull my camper. Now that i am in need of a second vehicle that gets good gas mileage for a new job, figure kill two birds with one stone and go small truck. But an SUV would work as well as they tend to have more interior room. Not familiar with the Fit, but if it is anything like a Prius or similar not interested.
I'm 6'4" pushing 300 after quarantine and fit in the Fit just fine.
EMY92
AG
I rented a Fusion Hybrid 2 years ago. I'm 6'4", 200# and had plenty of room.
ShouldastayedataTm
I appreciate all the sedan enthusiasts opinions, I did ask for opinions, but I am definitely looking for truck or SUV options primarily because of other uses, just trying to find the options with the best gas mileage, affordability, and most importantly reliability. As for size, head room is important, I am 6'2" but only have a 32 inch inseam. So all my height is seat up. One reason why I liked the Kia Soul, having driven it as a rental many times.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.