'12 F150 steering failure

1,445 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OnlyForNow
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My truck just flipped 150k miles. Hooked up boat this morning and son and I head to the bay. Get half mile from house in neighborhood and all of a sudden power steering goes out and get warning power steering assist failure.
Get it back to house and just thankful not on highway yet. Turn it off and then start it again. Problem goes away.
However it feels light turning to right but a little more resistance turning to left.
Not sure if it matters but 2 weeks ago needed new tires and put on 275s when it always had 265s
Online appears might be sensor which requires whole new rack.
What say you guys?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Usually the failure is the SAS, steering angle sensor.

Ford unfortunately is not making the sensor replaceable.

The rack is reasonably priced and not tough to swap. You just need to 'flash' the rack once its done. This can be done by any shop with a good scantool, or you can download the info with Forscan and reload it once the swap is done.
trip98
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Usually the failure is the SAS, steering angle sensor.

Ford unfortunately is not making the sensor replaceable.

The rack is reasonably priced and not tough to swap. You just need to 'flash' the rack once its done. This can be done by any shop with a good scantool, or you can download the info with Forscan and reload it once the swap is done.

Thanks for the response. If you don't mind I have a couple follow up questions
1) how do you define reasonably priced?
2) need oem part or can do after market? I was planning to sell it within 6-12 months anyways
3) what does flash mean?

Tia
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Aftermarket units can be purchased in the 500-600 dollar range.

New ones are 700ish my cost from dealer wholesale.

If you're going to sell, you can just go buy a used one from Ebay if you can find a mechanic to swap it out.

EPAS (electronic power assisted steering) has a PSCM which is basically a computer. You need to upload the info to it to work correctly.
trip98
AG
I've had good luck with my mechanic and he has an f-150 too so hopefully he knows all of this.
If not getting good vibe from them are you in Houston?
We're in Humble
OnlyForNow
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

If you're going to sell, you can just go buy a used one from Ebay if you can find a mechanic to swap it out.

EPAS (electronic power assisted steering) has a PSCM which is basically a computer. You need to upload the info to it to work correctly.
My 11 f150 had this happen and I think all in all done I was out 550, get a re-man rack from ford, and then have someone else install. sell back your rack to ford for the rebate to get it down to that cost.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
OnlyForNow said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

My 11 f150 had this happen and I think all in all done I was out 550, get a re-man rack from ford, and then have someone else install. sell back your rack to ford for the rebate to get it down to that cost.
Didn't you pay more than that?
OnlyForNow
AG
I think the rack I bought was $700ish and I got $200-250 back when I took the busted one back.

I paid about $100 for the re-alignment.

I also got you to install that steering component.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I think the rack I bought was $700ish and I got $200-250 back when I took the busted one back.

I paid about $100 for the re-alignment.

I also got you to install that steering component.
Core charge.
trip98
AG
So how do I hire 1agswitching4lanes going forward?
AggieGunslinger
AG
I had to replace the rack on my '12 boost back in May, I didn't want to change it myself, it was about $900 at a local dealership.
trip98
AG
Guess I'm getting hosed
Mechanic said best deal he could find on rack for my truck that includes the tow package was only 100 better than ford but still around 700. Add in labor and tax and comes out to 1400
trip98
AG
Well got it back friday ... Steering felt smooth and alignment good but it was noticably more firm and requiring more muscle to turn than before.
Thought it was just me. Drove fine Saturday even towing boat a little
Then Sunday took kids to park and while doing big turn to left I got failure alert saying "service advancetrac".
Shut off truck and restart had it again. Drove to neighbors and shut off and restart and no warning this time. Drove home. This morning start up and no warning. Turned wheel big to left and got the warning. Also turning signals wouldn't stay on. If I held signal down it worked but couldn't turn them on to run automatically
So back to the mechanic it goes......uuuuggghhgg
OnlyForNow
AG
Did he replace the rack?

That should fix it - unless it is the wheel angle sensor that's in the steering wheel.
trip98
AG
Yes he replaced rack last week and spoke of flashing the sensor in rack as well
OnlyForNow
AG
So I had this same issue with mine, I replaced the steering angle sensor first, which didn't fix the problem, then replaced the rack and had it flashed and then did a Ford re-alignment.

That fixed my issues. I think your mechanic owes you some more diagnostics (free, imo)
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Did your
Mechanic pull codes???
trip98
AG
Said he was going to hook it up and see today
trip98
AG
Said everything came back as configuration
Which he says means software and that means they didn't load the software appropiately from old rack to new.
Reloaded and it's all fine including turn signals etc
OnlyForNow
AG
Glad that's all it was. BUT a warning they probably flashed the system and it could come back within 25 miles.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Glad that's all it was. BUT a warning they probably flashed the system and it could come back within 25 miles.
My guess is they didnt flash the system at all.

OP did they buy a ford rack or one of the aftermarket units that guarantees no flashing needed. [Hint, I know the answer already]
trip98
AG
Not sure..he said he had a hard time finding the right one for my truck and we had talked reman when it first went into shop.
I'm thinking very likely not ford
trip98
AG
okay....now I'm pi$$ed and could use some serious help.
shop said they reinstalled software yesterday and I picked it up last night. Drove it home fine. Turning signals worked like they should. Turning hard to left seemed good.
Today it sits all day. Take my kid to soccer practice on other side of neighborhood. Literally a couple miles and stop signs max speed 30 mph. Get to soccer fine. After soccer we're parked on this dirt path and wet grass on passenger side. Tires spin a little but moving and slightly turn to left and "Service AdvanceTrac" comes on again!!!
Get into turnaround area and get halfway turned around. Stop truck and restart. For just a second the little icon is on on the dash and it beeps a warning but then it all shuts off completely.
Drive down the path about 100 yards to parking lot. In there do hard right turn all the way and that's fine. Do hard left all way and the warning comes on again. Same thing where turning signals don't work.
Drive down the road on way home about half a mile. Stop truck, shut off, and restart. Warning flashes again with icon but just for a second then it all shuts off. Drive truck fine a few hundred yards. Pull into parking lot and do full right turn again...nothing....full left turn....nothing. Head back onto street. In my lane just do a couple of quick back and forth turns of steering wheel. Warning comes on again. BUT turning signals still work fine.
Drive home about 1.5 mile and turn off truck about half mile from house. It resets fine. Drive home fine. Big sharp left into driveway fine. In driveway in park do full turn to left and warning comes on. Signals don't work. AT this point I notice my wheels are pointed forward but steering wheel is a good bit turned right. Rock steering back and forth a little and it seems to come to center.

I'm at my wits end. I WANT to just ditch this thing. But I'd really prefer to hang on to it for another 6-18 months. No car payment is nice and with COVID I don't have a commute so no putting many miles on it.

Really could use you guys advice before I call up mechanic tomorrow. What do I ask about? Do I go straight to give me my money back and take it elsewhere? Mechanic has been great until this but I do get the sense they don't know what they're dealing with here.

If you've got ideas and are willing to chat about it I don't have premium so give me a shout at five
one
two-297-
fifty four
forty four

thanks,
Trip
OnlyForNow
AG
They don't know what they are dealing with.

Ugh, it sounds possibly more complicated than mine, but I worked with 1ags on mine.

We took steering wheel apart and replaced angle sensor or something on it, then I got a reman rack from Ford and had a shop install and align, I then had Ford do a realignment at a dealership. That fixed my problems.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.