What's wrong with my 2017 Accord?

1,348 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinScubaAg
khkman22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got new tires on my Accord two weeks ago. I drove it all last week, probably about 500 miles with no issues. I last drove it last Friday night. On Monday, I went to start it and the battery was dead.

I charged it a little on Thursday night after getting home from being out of town. It was charged enough to start it a couple times, but the warning lights in the picture were on. After trying to start it a third time, the battery was dead again.

I read some stuff online that said when the battery was bad the warning lights would come on. I changed out the battery this morning and all the lights are still on. Also, when I press the brake in, I hear a little clicking sound where the gearshift is. I don't know if there is actually something wrong or if that will be corrected if it's just a reset of the electrical system somehow.

Is there something that just needs to be reset? I was needing to take it out of town again next week so I was hoping it was something I could do as opposed to something actually being wrong and needing to take to a mechanic.

Again, it appears to have all stemmed from a bad battery, but a new one does not appear to have fixed it.

Ronniecoleman30
AG
https://itstillruns.com/reset-lights-honda-7340139.html
khkman22
AG
Wound up driving it a little based on seeing on some forums that that would recalibrate everything. They went off by the time I drove to the end of my street and back to my house. Drove a little more through the neighborhood and they stayed off so I assume things are fine. Seems strange to me that everything would need to reset like that every time you change the battery.
scrimp
AG
Had something similar with my 2017 accord. Dead battery, changed it and still had lights for the next time or two starting the car after the battery change. After that, lights reset and no problems. Seems odd and unnecessary...

Wife's Pilot had a similar issue. Changed the battery and had multiple warning lights as I drove it around the block. Next time to crank the engine, everything was fine. Except, the radio lost all the Bluetooth connections. It kept all the radio presets, etc, but lost the phones. Weird.
khkman22
AG
Haven't checked Bluetooth yet, but my SiriusXM pre-sets were all lost. I think my FMs stayed because it was on the last played station when I turned it on, but I didn't check them since I changed to satellite right away.
SnowboardAg
AG
We have the same year accord with almost the exact same mileage - I'm 1k less than you. To keep it relevant, I had the battery changed out under warranty. About to need a new set of tires.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Is the battery original?

if so, its time for a new one.
khkman22
AG
Battery was original and I had seen before that Honda's seemed to not last as long as others so I wasn't completely surprised. But I generally have gotten 5-6 years with a battery, whether original or replacement. I am just surprised all the warning lights come on as a result of needing a new battery.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
khkman22 said:

Battery was original and I had seen before that Honda's seemed to not last as long as others so I wasn't completely surprised. But I generally have gotten 5-6 years with a battery, whether original or replacement. I am just surprised all the warning lights come on as a result of needing a new battery.
Low voltage makes CANBUS vehicles act all crazy.
Broncos
Had to jump my wife's pilot last night. Dead again today and won't jump. Battery was replaced last summer by Honda. Looks like I'll be hanging out with Honda tomorrow...

After looking across the internet today it appears Honda's notoriously have battery problems.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Bad cell in the battery. I had this problem with a 2016 accord. It will charge and work for a while. There are tests they can do for a bad cell but most of they time they are not done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.