Need help with these wheels

768 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went to Tom Light because my stock/painted wheels are peeling. They took pics and said they would get back with me but never did. They also warned me that due to some curb rash, they expected GM to flip their nose up at fixing the wheels. The car is under warranty

I like the design of the wheels but prefer a glossy black wheel. Any suggestions other than "ditch those and just buy black wheels?

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Looks like someone did a quick and dirty
Repair job on these in the past.
Slamn Sharpe
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Possibly. I'm the 2nd owner. I've been told that these painted wheels are prone to peeling.
Silvy
AG
Not really prone to peeling, but some spots may appear if you let brake dust sit too long.

Powder coating would yield the best durability to refinish the wheels
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Possibly. I'm the 2nd owner. I've been told that these painted wheels are prone to peeling.

Most places in houston will refinish them in 1-2 days and charge 125-175 a wheel. That pic you posted of it flaking. Is it clear flaking or is it paint flaking and a silver layer under it? If it's silver coming off with silver underneath, it looks like a quick and dirty job to get it on the lot for sale.

Lots of dealers use mobile reconditioning services. Some of them are very good. Some of them are not.

This isn't new. With plastic bumpers, water based paint and huge wheels these days, it's easy targets for damage from rocks, inattentive driving etc. and people pay attention and use that leverage to negotiate. Removing those from the equation yields better prices and less haggling.

At the minimum, a typical used car with over 20K miles will need a bumper respray, a rock chip in the glass repair, and one or two wheels gone over. Ever notice how most used cars at dealer lots front bumpers have ZERO rock chips?

Slamn Sharpe
The paint coming off is just a slightly different shade of silver than what's under it.

So would yall recommend me plasti "dipping" them myself? I know its not permanent but I would think it would look better than it does currently
HumpitPuryear
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

The paint coming off is just a slightly different shade of silver than what's under it.

So would yall recommend me plasti "dipping" them myself? I know its not permanent but I would think it would look better than it does currently
Anything put on top of the pealing paint isn't going to last. Do you have a budget? Cheapest solution would be sand them yourself as much as possible then prime and paint them with rattle cans. better solution would be have them professionally stripped and powder coated but you might find new or nice used wheels for the same money.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

If its been less than a year, I'd go back to the dealer you bought from and ask the used manager to see if they'll help you out (probably wont), but its worth a try.

If not, buy an ebay matching wheel to use as a "working wheel" and have it refinished, and remove the next wheel, have it refinished etc.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.