Tell me about Tundras

7,253 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fixer
azul_rain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love my 2011 Tacoma, but I want a bigger truck ? Yay or nay on the new Tundra or a 4Runner ?
AggieChemist
AG
I looked at them last year. Reminded me of an 09 not a 19. You may like that. I bought a Silverado.
Aggietaco
AG
Solid truck with old tech.
drumboy
AG
They suck cause years from now you'll be like me wanting a new truck but the the 8 yo tundra with 215k miles works just fine and has no issues.

Probably getting a 997 911 instead since I got a car budget
azul_rain
I hate push to start vehicles
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Aggietaco said:

Pretty much every Toyota product.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
hedge said:

I hate push to start vehicles
Ol_Ag_02
AG
hedge said:

Love my 2011 Tacoma, but I want a bigger truck ? Yay or nay on the new Tundra or a 4Runner ?

Sell you mine. It's gonna be on the market in Q1 when the Broncos arrive.

2018 SR5 TSS package. 30,000 miles, just a baby Toyota at this point.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

hedge said:

All broncos shipping in Q1 (and probably 2, 3, and 4) will all be spoken for.

I'm going to wait for a 22.
azul_rain
Ford
Ol_Ag_02
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

hedge said:

Reserved back in July.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
hedge said:

Ford

That new Sasquatch Badlands Edition is going to look nice in the garage next to my wife's 2021 TRD Pro 4Runner that shows up in November.
azul_rain
Rule 1
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

hedge said:

Reserved back in July.

Ford won't be able to build them all in time.

I have one reserved and eyeing a. sport for work.
Bigballin
AG
An updated one is supposedly coming out for the 2022 model year? Will have to see it, to believe it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Bigballin said:

An updated one is supposedly coming out for the 2022 model year? Will have to see it, to believe it.

It'll have new LED DRLs and support CarPlay for Iphone 6S.
Aggietaco
AG
The good thing about the Tundra is that it's still the same as my 2007, more or less. You (used to be able to) buy a used Tundra with 20k miles on it, add some aftermarket gear, and be good to go. The only modification I would make to my '07 is change the head unit to something with carplay.
Old School Brother
Do you ever find yourself needing to tow a space shuttle?
azul_rain
I'm not saying yes, but I like the idea of being able to
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Max Power
AG
Great trucks, don't have the bells and whistles of some of the other manufacturers. Unless I'm mistaken I believe they have the worst gas mileage of all the half ton trucks. I think combined mileage is like 15 mpg.
aggiec05
AG
When my '04 F150 crapped the bed 2x on me, I looked at a ton of trucks. It depends on what you are buying for. I buy for long term reliability (10+ years) and comfort. I ended up with a 2020 Tundra Crewmax Platinum purchased end of February. I smile every day I get in and fire it up. Plenty of power, super comfortable, and tons of room in the backseat which is good for my tall kids and loading hunting gear.

Older tech yes, but is has everything I want in it, except radar assisted cruise control below 20mph.

Ag for Life
AG
Sitting in my 2007 Tundra right now.

I really just wanted to try out the post pic from phone function. Dangerous...
texag06ish
AG
Rock solid truck. Toyota sucks at innovation though.
Buck Turgidson
They are tanks. Highly reliable and solid. If reliability is your number one concern, the Tundra is your truck. Made in Texas too.
fixer
These trucks like the 4runner are incredibly old in terms of design. However I can't see a real reason why this is a deal breaker.

I have a 2019 TRD Pro and have also had several 5th gen 4runners.

The Tundra will feel WAY bigger than the Tacoma.

It runs, drives, parks, like a tank. When using the truck it actually feels like an old school 1990s truck.

I mean...the power windows only have power down...one way.

Edit I mean one touch power down only.

Other old school features

mechanical fan
port fuel injection
hydraulic power steering
My 19 still has an old school key...2020 has push button.

Cool features

rear window rolls down.
4.30 gears.
tow haul mode is a facking hoot.
trd pro exhaust is really nice
3 piece rear bumper
Really good approach angle for a pick up.

Power and torque is decent.

If you want a truck with the latest of every technology bumper to bumper, this is 100% the wrong truck for you.

Important to note: on 2019+ Toyota removed the aux cooler for the transmission. They still have a small water-oil cooler for the atf. You will see higher atf temps. There hasn't been a rash of failures. Really on Tundra forums they haven't noted any on 2019 and 2020. None.

Toyota indicates that they changed shift mapping to chase lock up more to manage heat build up. The 4.30 gears also help. They also generically indicate that the engine cooling system is improved to assist managing thermal load on transmission.

You'll find pan temps 215-225 running around unloaded. When towing and climbing hill you'll see 240-250.

Given this though you can see other OEMs having higher fluid temps either with coolant, atf, or engine oil.

moore42
AG
texag06ish said:

Rock solid truck. Toyota sucks at innovation though.
I would argue that in 2007, the 2nd Gen Tundra obliterated the status quo of trucks of that time. It forced Ford to finally up their engine game because of the antiquated/dogged 4.6/5.4. Im pretty sure nobody else offered 6 speed automatics standard in a truck in 2007...maybe GM did but only in the Denali Trim or the allison behind the duramax. Ford and GM have since passed them in technology, but i would argue that Toyota forced them to step up their games.

Which is why im excited for the 3rd Gen Tundra...if it makes the splash that it did in 2007, it should be interesting.
drumboy
AG
fixer said:

What does this mean?
fixer
drumboy said:

fixer said:

What does this mean?
yeah sorry...i meant one push down.
bedofbrass33
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Aggietaco said:

Pretty much every Toyota product.
I laugh at this comment and then every thread someone starts, "My Radio is Out", "Electrical Gremlins", "Electric Mirrors Acting Up", "Truck Caught on Fire". I don't need a 12" tablet in my dash and every luxury known to man and the associated electrical connections made by a poverty wages worker in Mexico or Detroit.
Canyon99
Bought my son an 08 Crewmax Base for his 16th birthday this year. Love it because it is low tech and no frills which is perfect for a first vehicle. It is still solid as heck.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Solid trucks. The only gripe I have with Tundras is the pathetic payload capacity... if that's not a big deal to you than no worries.
Silvy
AG
4.30 rear gear means nothing if you don't look at the transmission ratios.

Tundra has a 3.333 1st ratio paired to 4.30, final drive ratio in 1st is 14.33. Chevy w/ 8 speed (4.56 1st) & 3.42 rear gear has a final drive of 15.59 in 1st. The cheby has a greater mechanical advantage.

Final drive ratios are the reason I run a 4.56 gear on a 29" tire and trans w/ 2.48 first gear.
Pahdz
I don't know all those specifics, but that's why a Tundra has to be driven in Tow Haul mode 24/7
drumboy
AG
silverado_lover said:

4.30 rear gear means nothing if you don't look at the transmission ratios.

Tundra has a 3.333 1st ratio paired to 4.30, final drive ratio in 1st is 14.33. Chevy w/ 8 speed (4.56 1st) & 3.42 rear gear has a final drive of 15.59 in 1st. The cheby has a greater mechanical advantage.

Final drive ratios are the reason I run a 4.56 gear on a 29" tire and trans w/ 2.48 first gear.

I don't often pull shuttles and rarely haul over 1200 lbs in the bed but I always smoke Chevys in tow haul mode.
azul_rain
i dont care about technology, as long as it runs and has a radio im good
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.