Looking for small luxury suv

2,371 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
atag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im in the market for a small luxury suv. I like the amenities that come in luxury cars. I like the room for road trips with the family that a car wouldn't provide but i hate driving a big vehicle. I really like the mercedes glc but im a little wary of the maintenance bill on it once the warranty wears off. I would prefer to buy cpo to get a little more bang for my buck. Looking in the 40k range. Any advice on what to test drive?
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
Dill-Ag13
AG
atag said:

I like the room for road trips with the family that a car wouldn't provide but i hate driving a big vehicle.

This part doesn't make sense. A compact suv won't be nearly as comfortable/roomy as a midsize car.

Having said that there's a separate thread in here with guidance on the GLC. Anything Lexus is a safe bet
scd88
AG
Was in the same boat earlier this year and got my wife an Acura RDX. Great ride; love the juice it has.

This is my 5th Acura. I always worry about the transmission, so I sucked it up and got the 100K warranty on the CPO I got.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Is a RX350 too big?

MKC , NX300, QX50, and RDX would be on my short list.

If you're not obsessed with brand cachet, a loaded version of something like a Ford Escape, RAV4, CR-V, Sportage, Sorento, Tucson , SantaFe all offer luxury features that you can find on luxury brands "entry level" CUVs and SUVs.

atag
AG
Ill have to take a look at the rdx. I have actually thought about the kia. I like the look of them and have actually heard good things and i could get more bang for my buck.
atag
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

atag said:

I like the room for road trips with the family that a car wouldn't provide but i hate driving a big vehicle.

This part doesn't make sense. A compact suv won't be nearly as comfortable/roomy as a midsize car.

Having said that there's a separate thread in here with guidance on the GLC. Anything Lexus is a safe bet

My last car was a Honda accord crosstour. The cargo space was massive and i loved it. You have a ton of options to bring home something large as well if you put the seats down which a car is hard to do with.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Volvo xc 90 or 60
KRT-1
Look at the Mazda CX-5 Signature Series. Should be right around 40K, and gets fantastic reviews for a compact SUV. Signature interior is upscale.
Flaith
AG
Get the nicest Rav4 you find, and pocket the rest.

If you have a short commute and are interested in dipping a toe in to the EV game, the Rav4 Prime is in that price range and offers $7,500 tax credit and ~40 miles of electric only range before switching over to gas engine.
cityagboy
AG
My favorites are the Volvo XC series and the Mercedes SUVs.

Mercedes have crap resale so I'd go Volvo.
atag
AG
I took a look at the volvo and am pleasantly surprised at how nice it is. May be a good option.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Volvo
atag
AG
Alright yall got me curious. Omw to test drive volvo now. Found a cool 2019 with red leather interior. May be tacky to some but looks cool.
rab4225
AG
I would second the Mazda CX-5, signature looks great and has some pep with the 2.5 turbo. From my research they have great reliability as well.

I have the grand reserve and its been a great car for the year I have owned it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you don't care about reliability after warranty. Sure. Buy a European car.

I love them. And I like playing with fire.
Aggiehunter34
S
Lexus CPO, comes with an outstanding extended warranty. We had an Acadia Denali and recently bought a Lexus RX 350 and love it. We didn't need the 3rd row anymore, but it still has plenty of cargo space. It rides great!
TXTransplant
Porsche Macan. Although, I'm not sure how used you'll have to go to get under $50k.
CanyonAg77
AG
scd88 said:

Was in the same boat earlier this year and got my wife an Acura RDX. Great ride; love the juice it has.

This is my 5th Acura. I always worry about the transmission, so I sucked it up and got the 100K warranty on the CPO I got.

I like the Acuras a lot. MDX gives you a third row and/or bigger cargo area.

Why do you worry about the trans? We just sold a 2008 MDX with 257,000+ and not a hint of transmission trouble.

We did do the drain/refill several times. You can't change the fluid, but drain what you can, and refill trans about every 15-30K, and you'll get some of the old oil and crap out, and add new oil addditives.
tk for tu juan
Lexus GX460 (Landcrusier Prado)

Schall 02
AG
TXTransplant said:

Porsche Macan. Although, I'm not sure how used you'll have to go to get under $50k.

You'd be surprised what kind of Macan you can get for under $50k.
scd88
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

scd88 said:

I like the Acuras a lot. MDX gives you a third row and/or bigger cargo area.

Why do you worry about the trans? We just sold a 2008 MDX with 257,000+ and not a hint of transmission trouble.

We did do the drain/refill several times. You can't change the fluid, but drain what you can, and refill trans about every 15-30K, and you'll get some of the old oil and crap out, and add new oil addditives.

Good advice on the transmission service. So, I had an 07 MDX (fantastic vehicle) they had a glitchy transmission issue that needed attention. I had the extended warranty cover that, fortunately. Then my now daughter in law had a 2017 TLX that had an issue.

That said, my sons 2010 TSX is a tank, so maybe I'm overreacting.
HossAg
AG
Acura RDX all day
BmtAg96
AG
The 2019s look good
scd88
AG
My wife has a 2019 RDX CPO, my daughter in law has a 2020 RDX.

They are great.
Complete Idiot
You've gotta put Mercury on your list.
atag
AG
I think im gonna go with the xc40 if i can get the right deal. Found a black 2019 t5 awd with red interior (i like quirky) and this car is the right amount of quirky for me. Im ready to go for the acura though if they give me a crappy deal. Im excited and i know you are all anxiously awaiting the results.
atag
AG
Welp....acura gave me a much better deal (7k off msrp) for a 2021. I am now the proud owner of a 2021 acura rdx. Thanks for all the help.
HossAg
AG
Rule 1
atag
AG

HossAg
AG
That looks really good. And $7K off msrp is a steal.
atag
AG
Yep...my husband is much better at that stuff than me lol. We were walking out the door and getting in our car when the salesman chased us down and accepted our offer. I never would have had the hutzpah to do that.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Good choice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.