New top speed record

3,198 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/sscs-tuatara-fastest-car-world-331mph-top-speed

Insane that it beat Koenigsegg on the same piece of public road by almost 50+ mph.
tk for tu juan
After hitting 331 mph, celebrating with fist pumps at 200 mph seemed safe
Guitarsoup
AG
Hits 110
Driver "Oh yeah, better make sure my seat belt is tight"
cityagboy
AG
Can't imagine going that fast in a car
Naveronski
Complete Idiot
I was surprised how fast it was still accelerating near the end. It went from 250 to 300 in under ten seconds (if video is in real time).
lb3
AG
He really could have used a solid stripe on the road.
HossAg
AG
The pull that thing still had past 200 was unreal. Looked like it could have kept going easily.
Mucho austin
AG
I went 140 in a corvette once and could barely tell what was going by me.

Can't imagine 300+.
OnlyForNow
AG
That's the road from Rad Racer I believe...
BigRobSA
I have the most natural boner right now!
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
dlp3719
AG
The gear shift around 235-240 mph was awesome. It was incredible how this thing pulled thru the 200's
lotsofhp
AG
Unreal. Never even heard of that car
akaggie05
AG
Fastest I have ever gone in a car was 160. Double that... brown pants.
HossAg
AG
People on Reddit are side by siding the video with the Koenigsegg video and saying it's fake.
Buck Turgidson
USA, USA , USA!!!!! 1,750 horsepower...
gggmann
AG
Amazing, but when are they taking it to the Nurburgring?
Buck Compton
AG
HossAg said:

People on Reddit are side by siding the video with the Koenigsegg video and saying it's fake.
Link? What are they saying is fake?
HossAg
AG
Buck Compton said:

HossAg said:

https://reddit.com/r/cars/comments/jguw5p/side_by_side_comparison_of_the_ssc_tuatara_and/

The SSC ran its speed run on the same stretch of road as the Koenigsegg, and some analysis makes it seem pretty conclusive that SSC's speed read outs were just wrong.
Buck Compton
AG
HossAg said:

Buck Compton said:

HossAg said:

https://reddit.com/r/cars/comments/jguw5p/side_by_side_comparison_of_the_ssc_tuatara_and/

The SSC ran its speed run on the same stretch of road as the Koenigsegg, and some analysis makes it seem pretty conclusive that SSC's speed read outs were just wrong.
Interesting. Pretty damning.

Will be interesting to see what comes of it. Could have just used the wrong video to overlay or something if there were legitimately multiple verifications.
HossAg
AG
The more I thought about it, it would be pretty insane for SSC to shatter the record that easily. We had Bugatti reach like 262 around 10 years ago, and the Agera RS topped out at 278. To break the record by 50 mph just didn't make sense.
lotsofhp
AG
HossAg said:

The more I thought about it, it would be pretty insane for SSC to shatter the record that easily. We had Bugatti reach like 262 around 10 years ago, and the Agera RS topped out at 278. To break the record by 50 mph just didn't make sense.

I didn't click the reddit link, but I agree with this. Shattering the top speed record by 50 mph seems fishy
Whoop Delecto
AG
gggmann
AG
lotsofhp said:

HossAg said:

I didn't click the reddit link, but I agree with this. Shattering the top speed record by 50 mph seems fishy
Drag squares with velocity, so it takes a huge power increase for an incremental bump in speed.
TMoney2007
AG
lotsofhp said:

HossAg said:

I think SSC has played fast and loose with the "production car" title as well. The Koenigsegg record cars aren't built in big runs, but they don't seem to flout any rules...
Kenneth_2003
AG
gggmann said:

lotsofhp said:

HossAg said:

Drag squares with velocity, so it takes a huge power increase for an incremental bump in speed.
From the outset, Castriota stressed the focus on delivering a crazy 0.279 drag coefficient and an aero-centric philosophy. The Tuatara's slinky ability to pierce through the air effectively is obvious towards the end of the run; the Tuatara furiously blasts from 250-300mph and beyond, not pausing for breath. Now check out Bugatti's run where the Chiron is headbutting an aerodynamic wall.

Not saying it's not possible, but that drag coefficient is crazy low.
FIDO*98*
AG
I'll choose to believe Guinness Book over Reddit keyboard warriors
tk for tu juan
Engineering Explained goes over some calcs based on the the video/gps data, and then calculates the theoretical top speed:

Whoop Delecto
AG
HollywoodBQ
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

gggmann said:

lotsofhp said:

HossAg said:

From the outset, Castriota stressed the focus on delivering a crazy 0.279 drag coefficient and an aero-centric philosophy. The Tuatara's slinky ability to pierce through the air effectively is obvious towards the end of the run; the Tuatara furiously blasts from 250-300mph and beyond, not pausing for breath. Now check out Bugatti's run where the Chiron is headbutting an aerodynamic wall.

Not saying it's not possible, but that drag coefficient is crazy low.
Have fun with this list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient
HollywoodBQ
AG
Thanks for sharing that video. The analysis was very interesting.

When I had my Laguna Seca Blue BMW M3 back in 2007 or so, I was working with a group of Sales guys who were all about showing off how much money they made by what kind of car they drove. Very LA. Since we're all working from home these days it doesn't really matter what you drive anymore.

I was just walking in from the parking garage and a Sales guy rolled up in his 911 Turbo. He was new and was still being friendly so in the elevator, he started talking to me about my car, how fast had I driven it, etc.

He hit me at the right time because a few months earlier, I had gone to Vegas for a bachelor party and I drove my M3 on the trip. On a stretch of "The 15" heading towards Primm, NV, I managed to get my M3 up to 132 mph which I was pretty happy with considering I had 2 x 250 lb guys in the front seats and although there was plenty more highway and plenty more engine, there was too much traffic.

So 911 guy tells me that he was afraid to drive his 911 that fast (like 120 mph was plenty for him) but, he let a friend of his drive it on the "Blue Diamond Hwy" outside Vegas. He said his buddy got his 911 up to 176 mph. Sadly, I don't know what year model it was but I would guess it was around 2005-2007.

Seeing these records being set on NV 160, I looked it up and it's the same stretch of road "Blue Diamond Highway" where this former co-worker's buddy drove his 911 Turbo up to 176 mph. Small World
Slamn Sharpe
lotsofhp said:

Unreal. Never even heard of that car

I have one in yellow but it's currently getting another coat of ceramic[/mbarnes
EMY92
AG
WhoopRAB said:

Talking to a guy who drove 300 mph and his main concern was tires at top speed.
My truck has the horsepower to go much faster than what it's governed to due to tires. The Raptor is governed at 108. The tires are rated to 112.

Getting to 100 is very easy. I have not tried to push beyond that.
Slamn Sharpe
I've done the governed 165 mph in my car which was over the summer. My only concern was the police traveling the opposite direction on Hwy 290
V8Aggie
AG
But can it turn?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.