Talk to me about used Chargers

2,990 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spadilly
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Looking to get rid of my 12 year old F150 and getting a used Charger.
Need a back seat for our three kiddos (two in boosters and one in car seat) and it seems to have enough room.

Looking in the 2016-2018 range. Anything I need to be aware of before I start to dig into the search? Also, and recommendations for dealers? I'm in the Sugar Land/Richmond area but don't mind traveling if need be.
Guitarsoup
AG
Dill-Ag13
AG
Buy a 2006 instead, basically the same vehicle
spadilly
S
Uh oh. *BacksAwaySlowly.gif

Or any other recommendations? Sporty. Fast. Fun to drive. Room for the family. Daily commute Sugar Land to/from Greenspoint.
drumboy
AG
Seems like charger drivers are the biggest idiots on the road.
Guitarsoup
AG
Get a used Genesis/Equus with 5.0 engine.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
There is way more room in the backseat of a f150 than a charger. If you need storage for all the extra crap, get the bed cover from Luke. With the way all those charger jackovs drive, no way I want one second hand.
Alte Schule
Guitarsoup said:

Get a used Genesis/Equus with 5.0 engine.
This. Have a '15 with the 420 HP 5.0. It's deceptively quick and the most comfortable car I have owned.
Roger350
AG
Test drove a 2015 Charger with the V-6 as a possible daily commuter, because I liked the styling, the rear wheel drive dynamics, etc. I really liked it on the test drive, but came away with this overall opinion: for such a large vehicle, the interior and trunk are criminally small. It's like the opposite of a Mini. How Dodge can take such a large vehicle and make the interior and trunk space so little is beyond me. Ended up not buying one because I didn't want to kick myself every time I had to take it to the shop or fix something broken because of the reliability stigma...
EMY92
AG
What could possibly go wrong, Dodge is synonymous with quality.
spadilly
S
Supercab. It's just small for the kiddos and their car/booster seats.
spadilly
S
Thanks!
EMY92
AG
Also, if you work near Gunspoint, it's going to be stolen and soon be riding on some 26ers.
Guitarsoup
AG
For a sportier look, Kia Stringer GT1 or GT2.

More usable storage since it is a hatchback.
aggieforester05
AG
I had a 2015 Charger R/T Road & Track Edition for a couple of years for a wifemobile. Had 59K miles on it when I bought it and sold it around 80K miles. Other than the headlight fuses melting it was flawless. Drove great and the interior was really nice for a Dodge. The 5.7L had great torque and the ZF-8 Speed automatic is one the greatest automatics ever made.

I agree with the complaint about interior space. It was pretty tight for such a big car. It's like they squeezed four doors onto a coupe and that made it hard to get in and out of the front and rear seats. Trunk space was fine imo. Fuel economy was 14-15 around town and 23-24 on the highway.

I traded it in for a 2020 Challenger T/A 392 and absolutely love that car.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Worst idea ever
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Make sure you have a fire extinguisher for every seat belt.

Then remove them when the MDS/DoD fails and one lifter flattens your cam.
ATL Aggie
AG
spadilly said:

Or any other recommendations? Sporty. Fast. Fun to drive. Room for the family. Daily commute Sugar Land to/from Greenspoint.

Speaking from experience, you will outgrow a sedan faster than you think. That's not to say you cant make it work, but it wont be a perfect compromise of sporty and practical. If you want sporty, go sporty and dont worry quite as much about the size of the backseat because you are going to outgrow it anyway and someone will always complain about getting the hump.

ac04
1agswitchin4lanes
AG

78_Pacecar
AG
drumboy said:

You misspelled Kia there my friend.
78_Pacecar
AG
Every family should have a truck, if you can only have one vehicle it should be a truck.

Not as sporty, but my lovely bride has a Nissan with the 3.5l in it. Tons of get up and go, blows the doors off most commuter cars, and still gets 28-30 MPG in Houston
Guitarsoup
AG
78_Pacecar said:

drumboy said:

You misspelled Kia there my friend.
You making this comment:

ATL Aggie
AG
ATL Aggie said:

spadilly said:

Speaking from experience, you will outgrow a sedan faster than you think. That's not to say you cant make it work, but it wont be a perfect compromise of sporty and practical. If you want sporty, go sporty and dont worry quite as much about the size of the backseat because you are going to outgrow it anyway and someone will always complain about getting the hump.

Allow me to expand on my own comment.

I don't think a car exists that is the perfect compromise of sporty and family practicality, especially with 3 kids. I tried to find it and bought a Lexus GS350 Fsport and have been disappointed from day 1. It's not sporty enough and it is not family-practical enough. I would have been better off going one direction, either sporty or practical. Trying to find the perfect compromise will leave you disappointed.

meggy09
AG
spadilly said:

Need a back seat for our three kiddos (two in boosters and one in car seat) and it seems to have enough room.

Looking in the 2016-2018 range. Anything I need to be aware of before I start to dig into the search? Also, and recommendations for dealers? I'm in the Sugar Land/Richmond area but don't mind traveling if need be.

When do you get back from boot camp?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ATL Aggie said:

ATL Aggie said:

spadilly said:

Allow me to expand on my own comment.

I don't think a car exists that is the perfect compromise of sporty and family practicality, especially with 3 kids. I tried to find it and bought a Lexus GS350 Fsport and have been disappointed from day 1. It's not sporty enough and it is not family-practical enough. I would have been better off going one direction, either sporty or practical. Trying to find the perfect compromise will leave you disappointed.

Supercharged LS460 F Sport
Aggiemike96
AG
12 hours and 24 posts before the correct answer is delivered.

Minivan.
PoppaB05
AG
What's your budget? I think the Kia Stinger and Genesis 5.0 recommendations were spot on. The Genesis seemed like a much more roomy family car when I drive the 2015. Lexus GSF if it's in your budget is a possibility.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
PoppaB05 said:

What's your budget? I think the Kia Stinger and Genesis 5.0 recommendations were spot on. The Genesis seemed like a much more roomy family car when I drive the 2015. Lexus GSF if it's in your budget is a possibility.
Stinger and G70 have super tight rear seats.

G80 and G90 are much roomier.
BBRex
AG
meggy09 said:

spadilly said:

I bet you can find as low as 25% interest, too, if you look around base.
78_Pacecar
AG
BBRex said:

meggy09 said:

spadilly said:

This choice in vehicle will come in handy after the divorce is finalized and you start picking up strippers.
cr0wbar
AG
drumboy said:

Seems like charger Dodge Ram drivers are the biggest idiots on the road.
FIFE
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
78_Pacecar said:

BBRex said:

meggy09 said:

spadilly said:

This choice in vehicle will come in handy after the divorce is finalized and you start picking up strippers.
Usually they buy C5 vettes, of if they had money, Lotus Exige. Leather jeans included.
Slamn Sharpe
I test drove a scat pack, and a "Hemi" but the Hemi was in 2012?

They feel huge and I wasn't impressed enough to buy one. They sorta feel like an old muscle car in the way that they feel too big

Don't buy one with the idea of putting 3 kids in the back
BigRobSA
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.