Tires for 4runner

1,333 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sweep4-2
aggiederelict
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I got a 2006 4runner that I want spruce up a bit with some new tires. Have some Goodyear 265/60r18 on them now that are pretty worn.

Any recommendations on some good tires? I would like to go a bit bigger. Not too worried about gas mileage as this is my daily driver and I don't drive much. Plan on having the car for 2-3 more years. Has 215,000 miles on it now.
Flaith
AG
Do you want an AT tire? Highway/road tire?

What size?
aggiederelict
I am open to both options. Just looking to go bigger without having to lift.
AustinCountyAg
In on this thread as well...wife has a 16 4runner that is fixing to need its first new set. looking for something a little more aggressive than the OEM's, but not completely obnoxious as most of her driving his highway
TxSquarebody
I switch my 99 4runner from Michelin to Yokohama geolander and have been very pleased. Decent ride, for a 4runner, and excellent wear.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
We put Bridgestone A/T Revo (think we went Revo 2, not 3) on my wife's 2016. Great all around tire, we've run multiple sets on other vehicles. Aggressive tread with highway manners.

Running bigger w/o a lift is probably not possible without rubbing. Some of the 4runner forums would have a more definitive answer.
JB
AG
I like BFG ATs and Toyo AT2 or 3.
ktownag08
AG
For my 2017 either going with Falken AT3Ws or Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S when I replace by end of year.

Both good and cost effective.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
REVO 3 are good with a decent mix of on and offroad.
Firestone Destination AT2
Hankook Dynapro AT is decent as well if you want some offroad ability.

If you dont need offraod, there are lots of great all season tires.

I wouldnt bother buying Michelins unless you are racking 25K plus miles/year.
aggiederelict
Does anyone know for sure if I can go a bit bigger and not have to lift the car without rubbing?
Flaith
AG
looks like 265/70s are the biggest you can run without rubbing due to width

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/19639-maximum-tire-size-2006-4runner.html#:~:text=32%22%20is%20the%20biggest%20you,to%20265%2F70%2F17.

I have Falken Wildpeaks on my XJ, and I think they look and handle great. They climb over mall curbs like a champ.
aggiederelict
Thanks
aggiederelict
I don't need off-road. Just looking for some options. And I only drive 10,000 miles per year on this ride. What do you like for on-road?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aggiederelict said:

I don't need off-road. Just looking for some options. And I only drive 10,000 miles per year on this ride. What do you like for on-road?

Destination LE3 is a great value.

Alenza Plus
Pathfinder HT is a private label Hankook at discount tire.
JP76
Cooper atp from discount

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-atp
jpistolero02
Michelin Defender or MS2. I have had several 4Runners and those have always been my go to.
Sweep4-2
Had the MIchelin LTX/MS2's and or Defender LTX/MS on previous 4Runners and they were great.

Recently replaced tires on my wife's 2018 T4R and strongly considered going with an off-road or more all terrain tire. But it was mainly because I thought they looked 'cool' (because 99% of my driving is city/highway, with the remainder being on light sand and some mud).

So I went with the logical (rather than cool) choice and got the Defenders LTX/MS and expect at least 70,000 and good performance. Will probably buy cool tires when my wife gets a new car and I get the T4R for my car.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.