Rule #1 - 997 Turbo

2,535 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
ILikeTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So 2020 has sucked but also brought a lot of stuff into perspective. In this year both my wife and I began working from home exclusively and decided that we could consolidate some cars as we just weren't driving that much (we have since changed our tune slightly lol).

So we decided to sell my Jeep Trackhawk, her RS5, and my Ducati, and consolidate to a family vehicle and one fun vehicle. We decided to keep our Chevy 2500 as our family vehicle, and decided to get another Porsche 911. Having had a 991.1 Turbo and a 991.2 GTS in the past, we wanted another turbo car but a different body style. We decided on the elusive 997.2 Turbo that they made from 2010-2012. Unfortunately they only sold about 3,000 of them so they aren't the easiest cars to find. I found one in San Francisco that would need some work and we flew out and drove it back.

While it took us three days to drive it back, it became the perfect roadtrip to get us out of our COVID blues. We drove the PCH, drove the mountain roads into Malibu, drove Las Vegas Blvd, spent a night in Santa Fe and just made the best of it. Since it has been home it has been a labor of love bringing her to our standard.

Here are some pics from buying it.

ILikeTacos
AG
Once I got it home I had to fix a lot of imperfections and remove all of the distracting black wrap and faded clear bra.

Final pics are as it sits tonight in the garage, tomorrow I pull the rear bumper and install a new exhaust system and better intercoolers for track day fun!

BBRex
AG
Looks like a fun trip. And it must not need that much work.
sodycracker
AG
Looks like a great trip for a great car! A perfect way to break up the monotony. Cool to see Winslow, Arizona in the pics. I immediately started humming Take it Easy.
ac04
tk for tu juan
TheCougarHunter
AG
Oh nice. My sister drives a Porsch.
K Bo
AG
All some
PMD03
AG
It looks a lot better now.
bam02
AG
PMD03 said:

It looks a lot better now.

Agreed. Nice!
AgCPA95
AG
Incredible car and return trip. And yes looks a lot better now! Congrats!
TX_AG_10
AG
So which one is the family car? The GT500?
gggmann
AG
As the last 911 turbo available w/ a 3rd pedal, it's a great choice. Personally I prefer the 997.1 w/ the bulletproof Mezger engine, but the 997.2 has more power/torque in stock form.

I've been trying to find a good 993 turbo, but as the last of the air-cooled engines the prices are a little more than I'm willing to pay right now.
Aggietaco
AG
WFH and still don't have the decency to update Texags when you bought a new Porsche 3 months ago...

Congrats on the new ride, but I like Mrs FJ's new pony car better.
tk for tu juan
gggmann said:

I've been trying to find a good 993 turbo, but as the last of the air-cooled engines the prices are a little more than I'm willing to pay right now.

Yep, my favorite version of the 911 turbo, but if I had the money the price would make me consider getting the Cayman GT4 instead

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-porsche-911-turbo-23/
ac04
gt4 is a great car but the gearing would keep me away unless i was planning to track it. the gears are absurdly long, i believe 1st/2nd/3rd take you to something like 55/85/130 mph. hard to enjoy that on the street.
YouBet
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

I think we have some MFBarnes action here....

Quote:

So we decided to sell my Jeep Trackhawk, her RS5, and my Ducati, and consolidate to a family vehicle and one fun vehicle. We decided to keep our Chevy 2500 as our family vehicle, and decided to get another Porsche 911.
But also have a brand new Mustang GT500. So, there is actually a family vehicle and two fun vehicles.

ILikeTacos
AG
YouBet said:

TX_AG_10 said:

I think we have some MFBarnes action here....

Well it's a tough life, balancing my careers as an oil exec/lawyer/doctor/rockstar/(whatever else mfbarnes claimed to be), and family and a family's car hobby, but we try our hardest.
tk for tu juan
Just 1 day and 20 hours left to bid on the 911 PCA plate

https://myplates.proxibid.com/Art-Antiques-Collectibles/Collectibles/911/lotInformation/56515967
ILikeTacos
AG
Current status. New exhaust and intercoolers should be on in the next day or two, fun garage project
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Nice Winslow, AZ pic. Took me a minute to put it together.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.