Odd noise when first driving

1,478 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I drove my wife's 2017 Odyssey this morning and noticed a light pulsing grinding noise when I was driving out of the neighborhood. From the sound of it, it's coming from the front driver's side. After driving for a few minutes, the noise went away and everything sounded normal. My first thought is the brakes are nearing the end (about 40k miles), but is there something else that may be the issue? Of course, I asked my wife about it and she said it's been doing that for a week or so...go figure.

I'm going pop the wheel off this weekend and take a look and do a brake job if needed, but it's not a sound that I'm used to hearing when brakes are shot...no constant grinding. The fact that it's a pulsing grind when the brakes aren't applied and it goes away after a while has me wondering.

Edit to say the van is garaged, so no rust or anything on the rotors in the morning.
TxSquarebody
CV joint?
TexAg1987
Worn brake and a warped rotor
Motot
AG
Maybe stuck piston in caliper
Picard
AG
Bad wheel bearing

And if it isn't, it will be. I don't know what it is with Honda's and their wheel bearings
aTm2004
AG
Ok, just an update for those wondering (probably nobody) and if someone has a similar problem when they have a late dismount and their wife uses her powers to force the family into a van.

I initially thought it was the brakes, so I took the wheels off and gave them a look. The pads had a lot of life left and the rotors looked normal, so I gave them and the rotors a quick sanding in case there was a glazing on them. Didn't help. I took it last weekend to get the oil changed and the tires rotated, and had them look at the brakes (NTB...I know), and they said the brakes were fine.

So, I decided to finally drop it off at the local shop that I've used for years and have had great experiences with to let someone who knows what they're doing take care of it. Got a call today and they took it for a drive and were able to duplicate it and were actually able to find the issue, and it's not what I or probably any of you expected. They checked brakes, bearings, joints, etc and everything was good. So, they were initially stumped until one of their guys who worked for Honda told them exactly what it was. The tires that came on the van have a lip that overlaps the wheel, and over time as the sidewall breaks down, the spacing begins to differ around the wheel, and as it's driven, the sound is the rubber "lip" contacting the wheel. They aired the tires up to ~50lbs and the issue went away as did the lip contacting the wheel. They let air out and got it back to the 33lbs it calls for, and the sound came back. This aligns with how the sound goes away after driving a while when the tires heat up.

My options seem to live with it until I need new tires (probably within the next year) or to bite the bullet and replace the tires, as it's doing it on 3 of them, with a tire that hopefully doesn't have one of the lips. They showed me when I got there and there is a lip I've never seen before. We checked about 5 other vehicles they had and none had tires with that lip.

Edit for video of sound

https://i.imgur.com/0FYer6y.mp4
DeWrecking Crew
That is odd, and thank you for following-up with a post.
TxSquarebody
Yep. Never would have guessed that!
aTm2004
AG
No problem. Never would have thought about that or even had noticed. The lip is there. If you go to your wheel and put your finger on it and pull it up to your tire, it probably falls "in" to the tire as the tire is inside the wheel. With these tires, the finger goes "out" due to the lip that wraps around the edge of the wheel. I didn't have anyone to drive it back when I stopped buy, but I'll get some pics this afternoon when we pick it up.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Probably slather some tire dressing on the sidewall and it will go away...
aTm2004
AG
Is this like blinker fluid or something real?
EMY92
AG
Tire shine = tire dressing.

Basically, get them shiny.
aTm2004
AG
Ahh...I used to try to keep it clean but my wife's constant allowance to let it get trashed out has broken my will. I'll tell her to take it and get it (and keep it) cleaned, and if it works, it'll save us ~$1k. If she doesn't, then it's new tires and no weekend trip in the fall.
aTm2004
AG
So here's a pic of the top camera bottom. The gap may not look like much, but I can get a key in the gap on top with wiggle room, but can't get the same key in the bottom.

aTm2004
AG
Went and replaced the tires this morning and the sound has gone away. I replaced them primarily because I'm not sure it isn't damaging the tire in some way, and given we have a 15+ hour drive (one way) coming up for Thanksgiving, I didn't want to chance it. If anything, I probably got some 6 months or so earlier than I would have.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.