BakFlip tonneau latch repair

1,603 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgEng06
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The rail that houses the latch mechanism on one of my panels has detached for the second time. It came off after about 3 years of use and I repaired it with construction adhesive and some sheet metal screws. That lasted about 2 years. It's not the end of the world if I repair it the same way and get 2 more years before I have to fix it again, but I'm having to put holes in it each time and would like to minimize that.

Can y'all suggest an anchoring fastener that would expand inside the panel and hold this together better. The sheet metal screws probably didn't hold very well at all and the glue probably kept it together.

This is one of the rails that is still properly attached.
bam02
AG
So I just ordered a cheap rivet gun. I assumed that was my best bet but had no idea they were so inexpensive.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Have you considered a rivet gun? I hear they are fairly inexpensive.
bam02
AG
Wow thanks for the help! I'll look into those!
bam02
AG
I'll be sure to report back to me (and you) how it goes.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
That would be great if you could come back and let yourself know. I am also interested as I have the same cover.
bam02
AG
Oh man thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I got a rivet gun on Amazon for about $25 and it worked great! Came with assorted rivets but I had to buy longer ones at Lowes.
bam02
AG
Thanks for the follow up!
AgEng06
AG
Great thread
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.