Finding a fox body Mustang convertible

2,473 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
512Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any ideas on how to go about finding a fox body mustang convertible 5.0? I've looked at Craigslist, classiccars.com, car gurus, auto trader classic and eBay, but I haven't had any luck finding exactly what I'm looking for. It tends to be the same 10 or 15 cars every time. Are there any specialty sites/clubs/etc. where I might have more luck? Not in a rush, they just don't seem to come up that often...Not in good shape, anyway.

Also, in the event anyone has one in a garage somewhere...
Looking for: '91-'93, convertible, 5.0 (can be GT or LX), automatic (I know.) preferably under 70,000 miles, any color except red, yellow, or teal.
Picard
AG
You checked with Vanilla Ice yet?

512Ag
AG
Picard said:

You checked with Vanilla Ice yet?

He's next on my list of people to call using my Motorola bag phone.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think my FIL still has his, but it is red on red. It's in fantastic shape, though.
JamesPShelley
Look into the enthusiast forums. Ocasionally one may come up for sale and, if it's offered by a longtime forum member/enthusiast, it may not ever make it to eBay... Craigslist... etc. Those go quickly when offered.

ac04
keep an eye on bringatrailer
512Ag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I think my FIL still has his, but it is red on red. It's in fantastic shape, though.
That would be awesome. Unfortunately, the person I'm hunting for is dead set against red.
aggieforester05
AG
I can't imagine wanting an automatic transmission anything of that vintage. A buddy of mine has a clean '89 GT 5.0 convertible, but it's red and manual. Used to have a lot of fun in that back in high school. Definitely a burn out machine.
boboguitar
AG
If you wanna do an engine swap, my MIL has a 89 foxbody convertible 4 cylinder.
drumboy
AG
Not a convertible but here's a nice fox body.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-ford-mustang-lx-5-0-30

The Fife
The last good ones I saw were at A&M around 2000ish. Your quest may involve a DeLorean and a couple jiggawatts of power.
IntensivePurposes
AG
Mustang guy so I watch this market closely. They have tipped into collector cars now. Used to be able to get a good example for about $3k. Now too many drag racers have cut them up, wrecked them, or both. So the only ones left on the market are varying degrees of "nice" for about $10k....and the crap that sat behind some dudes trailer home for 7 years before he decided his social security check won't cover his race car build.

You can find the sweet spot ones every now and again for about $4K. Just need a little TLC or light restoration.
Slamn Sharpe
There's two in my neighborhood and I think they're both black. One is in a garage and the other has been sitting in the driveway. This is in Bryan
tk for tu juan
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-ford-mustang-gt-5-0-convertible-3/
Slamn Sharpe
Of the two in my neighborhood, I knocked on the door of one of these owners. They're giving it to their teenage son. Its not convertible and its been sitting in their drive way. If you want I can ask the other, theirs is in a garage, but I'm not sure its a convertible. The one I asked about today was an 86' hard top 5.0
512Ag
AG
Y'all are great. Thanks for the tips.

McDade, if you don't mind stopping by to ask your neighbor, I'd appreciate it. Thanks a ton!
fixer
IntensivePurposes said:

Mustang guy so I watch this market closely. They have tipped into collector cars now. Used to be able to get a good example for about $3k. Now too many drag racers have cut them up, wrecked them, or both. So the only ones left on the market are varying degrees of "nice" for about $10k....and the crap that sat behind some dudes trailer home for 7 years before he decided his social security check won't cover his race car build.

You can find the sweet spot ones every now and again for about $4K. Just need a little TLC or light restoration.

I can confirm this.

Been looking for project car and yeah these cars are hard to find and a ways off from bargain territory.
texsn95
AG
Ah memories...sophmore in High School (93), was looking at 5.0s (much to my parent's chagrin), and rode in an 89 Gt vert. Told the guy to get on it, and after that I was hooked. Ended up with a 90 Blue/Grey Gt which was great until it got totaled in 98. Sometimes I browse the ads for nice examples of Fox bodies and there seems to be no in between, either they're low-mileage clean examples for 20k or trashed out garbage as described above. Diamond in the rough for sure.
Slamn Sharpe
512Ag said:

Y'all are great. Thanks for the tips.

McDade, if you don't mind stopping by to ask your neighbor, I'd appreciate it. Thanks a ton!

I went yesterday and knocked on a few doors trying to remember where the garaged 5.0 was and had no luck. I'm stumped because I swore it was on my street just 5 or so houses away
Maverick06
AG
Found a '91 4 banger on Facebook. In LaVernia, TX.

tk for tu juan
How many people have disappeared after going to look at that fox body? Equivalent to "Free Candy" for Mustang fans
lb3
AG
I would LOVE to find a clean notch back but they're super rare now.

Funny how the least desirable versions become the most collectible.
tk for tu juan
The good things about the 4 cylinder fox bodies are the torque boxes are not warped and little to no crease above the rear windows from the wet noodle subframe twisting. Much easier to get the subframe connectors welded on
512Ag
AG
tk for tu juan said:

How many people have disappeared after going to look at that fox body? Equivalent to "Free Candy" for Mustang fans
From a lot of what I've seen out there, this is very true. There are some weird fox body folks out there.

I haven't checked in for a while, but I appreciate all the help from everyone. Had to slow down the search, but I'm still casually checking around.
Slamn Sharpe
512Ag said:

tk for tu juan said:

From a lot of what I've seen out there, this is very true. There are some weird fox body folks out there.

I haven't checked in for a while, but I appreciate all the help from everyone. Had to slow down the search, but I'm still casually checking around.

I'm a Camaro-guy, and I'm unaware

Go on...
aTm2004
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.