I know we have been over AC diagnosis before but please help

1,856 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by will.mcg
will.mcg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 1996 dodge Cummins AC was working just fine right to the last little cold front we had.

The compressor is turning on & off. I don't recall if it is cycling quickly or normally. I got a can of AC recharge & the little gauge showed that it's full.

I have a set of manifold gauges shipping to me next week. I understand I can tell if the compressor isn't "sucking" enough by what the gauges read. I have a vacuum & waste cylinder to evacuate the system into & see if it holds vacuum.

Can anyone expound on the process a bit for me?
87IE
AG
will.mcg said:

My 1996 dodge Cummins AC was working just fine right to the last little cold front we had.

The compressor is turning on & off. I don't recall if it is cycling quickly or normally. I got a can of AC recharge & the little gauge showed that it's full.

I have a set of manifold gauges shipping to me next week. I understand I can tell if the compressor isn't "sucking" enough by what the gauges read. I have a vacuum & waste cylinder to evacuate the system into & see if it holds vacuum.

Can anyone expound on the process a bit for me?

https://www.autozone.com/diy/climate-control/how-to-recharge-car-ac

Use the pressure chart at the bottom of the link that shows different ambient temperatures.

Check the area between your radiator and condenser for garbage/leaves/dirt.
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
will.mcg
AG
That's handy. Thanks!
wunderbrad01
AG
What's the actual issue? Not cooling or not cooling at certain times?

I generally do it in the morning before it gets all hot.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Slap some gauges on it
will.mcg
AG
Not cooling at all
txyaloo
AG
Gauges aren't going to tell you whether the system is full or not. You can have somewhat normal pressures with a low or high charge. Too much refrigerant is just as bad as too little.

My F250 had normal pressures. I threw it on my refrigerant machine last week and pulled out .6lbs refrigerant more than spec.
will.mcg
AG

Orifice tube seemed to be clogged.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
will.mcg said:

Orifice tube seemed to be clogged.
Just a lil bit.
will.mcg
AG
Is there a way to tell from the gauges if the compressor is sucking enough? It froze me out for a week or so now I'm experiencing the same problem I started with. When I vacuumed it down it held vacuum so I doubt there is a leak.
87IE
AG
will.mcg said:

Is there a way to tell from the gauges if the compressor is sucking enough? It froze me out for a week or so now I'm experiencing the same problem I started with. When I vacuumed it down it held vacuum so I doubt there is a leak.
When you found the junk in the orifice tube what did you do to clean out the rest of the system?

I thought I saw metal shavings in the picture which means there more than likely was more floating around....
will.mcg
AG
Oh clever! Answer a question with a question! I blew what lines were open with compressed air. It may be bad information that I believe the accumulator catches trash.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
seeing the orofice tube looking like that, your compressor is trashed.
will.mcg
AG
That was my first inclination but it seemed to be "compressing" still. It is 5 years old so I suppose that is a pretty good life span.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
will.mcg said:

That was my first inclination but it seemed to be "compressing" still. It is 5 years old so I suppose that is a pretty good life span.

If it's low it will still compress. When it hits a certain threshold the low pressure switch will cut power to the coil.
will.mcg
AG
What am I going to damage if I override the pressure switch?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
will.mcg said:

What am I going to damage if I override the pressure switch?
You'll burn it up.

The pressure switch isnt kicking in right now.

Its marginally low and not getting enough high pressure to pass through the orifice and cool properly.

I'm almost willing to bet that topping it off will get you back to normal performance.
will.mcg
AG
I am definitely going to try that. Question is if I don't have a leak am I "overfilling" the system?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
will.mcg said:

I am definitely going to try that. Question is if I don't have a leak am I "overfilling" the system?
You definitely have a leak. How long it lasts will be a tell tale sign.

5 years with no charge is about the right service life IMO.

My Flex was blowing tepid and I found the schrader valve seals were hard as rocks.

25 bucks for new ones (some silly design that Ford and GM use now) and it was back to nice and icy.
will.mcg
AG
I must have left out that I replaced the accumulator & orifice tube then recharged the system last week. It held vacuum before I recharged it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you didn't flush the system out, the trash is there still. And the compressor function is marginal. That material is mostly seal material from the compressor.

Sad part is all that needs to be replaced again when you do the compressor.
will.mcg
AG
I was thinking that. Thanks fully that kit was less than $100 including refrigerant.
ABATTBQ11
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

If you didn't flush the system out, the trash is there still. And the compressor function is marginal. That material is mostly seal material from the compressor.

Sad part is all that needs to be replaced again when you do the compressor.

When you flush the system, use a compressor nozzle with a pick up line and hit it with liquid brake cleaner. The brake cleaner will get out more than just a shot of air, and it will also dry out without leaving any residue.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I prefer BG Frigi Flush over brake clean.

Brake clean does work, but the affect on seals worries me.
will.mcg
AG
Thanks guys. I will flush it next time I open it up. A new pressure switch has it going again. I hadn't lost any refrigerant since it quit cooling. Hopefully I won't be updating the post with more problems anytime soon.
will.mcg
AG
Where is the best place to insert the compressor nozzle to flush the system?
87IE
AG
The next time you open it up I'd
pull the condenser and clean out the junk on the fins and also the radiator.
Flush the condenser by itself
Disconnect all the lines and flush individually
Flush the evaporator core by itself.
Replace the valve guts on your high and low test ports.
Replace O-rings at the connections.

That may be considered overkill but years ago I was surprised at the amount of crap in my condenser.

Just remember flushing EVERYTHING with a chemical flush will remove all of the oil from the system (except from your compressor) so you'll need to add the correct amount back in.

You can also check the prices on a new condenser. IIRC they were < $100
will.mcg
AG
Sweet! Thanks. Yes condensors are still relatively cheap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.