How to get mechanic certifications in BCS

850 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fixer
Steampunk-Kangaroo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm very interested in looking for auto repair jobs and learning that skill, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go about receiving training. Is there a good trade school here in the Bryan/College Station area that offers automotive classes, or a mechanic's shop that's interested in training newbies like myself? (So far my most extensive car operation was changing a headlight bulb. Basically I'm at level zero here.)
DeWrecking Crew
A chain like Meineke is probably going to be your best bet to get your feet wet if trying to stay in BCS. You'll start off just doing general stuff like greeting the customers, but they do a decent job of getting you some very general on the job light duty training. If you decide you like it, I recommend a school like TSTC in Waco if you want to make a career of it, cost would be in the $8-$10k range for the school, but high probability of making a good career out of it going that route.
h2oag95
AG
There is no automotive training beyond Bryan High School, Blinn decided that it was not worth the capital investment when they were asked to start one when they built the new campus (at least that was the case 6 years ago when I moved away).

The easiest and most affordable way to get started is to get a job with one of the larger dealerships in town and show that you are interested and work your way up. This will give you the opportunity to get trained for whatever brand you are with and also not incur the 30 - 45k in debt that most students who come out of UTI have accumulated.

If you need to talk to anyone I would be more than happy to talk to you and give you some direction. jmiller1995 at a t t dot com
wargograw
I work at a dealership in Austin. You can easily get a job as a porter; maybe as an express mechanic if you're lucky. Do a good job (especially if you're porter since probably 70% of them are lazy) and keep badgering the service manager to move you up until you're a mechanic.

We have mechanics here that started off as porters or express techs. Much cheaper option than paying for school somewhere.
TxSquarebody
Mikeroweworks.com Apply and get training paid for at places like UTI, Westech, and TSTC.
La Fours
AG
Check job postings for Transportation Services at A&M as well. They have entry level positions and might be able to work your way up. They would pay for you to become ASE certified.
fixer
TxSquarebody said:

Mikeroweworks.com Apply and get training paid for at places like UTI, Westech, and TSTC.

This.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.